Cam/Crank codes, please help!

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
These engine run half the oil
Pressure on the heads then base. So example you have 30 psi oil pressure at the oil pressure switch port then u can expect about 15 psi at the heads. There is some port to check head pressure. But the office cannot lower your Base pressure. If your getting as low at 10 psi base pressure then u have about 5 in the heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a video of the pressure issue. I had to step away from it for a little while, but I'm back on it now.

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
pics of cams and journals. these show the worst of it.

102_7545.JPG

102_7551.JPG

102_7552.JPG

102_7553.JPG

102_7555.JPG

102_7558.JPG

102_7559.JPG

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the pix looks like the caps my be scorn. Can you feel anything when your run your finger nail across them? Also u said u put a melling oil pump? I never had any experience with that pump nut I read somewhere here were the clearance on those pumps are alittle more than the factory pump
And can cause low base oil pressure. You can measure the clearance to see. If u done know how I'll post a picture on Monday on how to do it.

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the pix looks like the caps my be scorn. Can you feel anything when your run your finger nail across them? Also u said u put a melling oil pump? I never had any experience with that pump nut I read somewhere here were the clearance on those pumps are alittle more than the factory pump
And can cause low base oil pressure. You can measure the clearance to see. If u done know how I'll post a picture on Monday on how to do it.

Yes, I can feel the grooves when I run a finger nail across them.

I put in the Melling 340 pump, which is listed as a higher pressure pump, seemingly due to the higher pressure relief spring as far as i can tell. People have had VCT issues with the Melling billet pump, M176, which is supposed to be a higher volume pump.

If you get a chance, i would appreciate seeing the pictures. While I have it all apart again, I want to check all that I can. My oil pressure issues started with the stock pump, too, but it didn't look bad when I pulled it apart.

Thanks.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder what the main and rod bearings look like?

Yeah. I work at a dealer so when we see this. The cam journals being scorn we would recommend a long block if it's customer pay or if it's warranty we will request for a long block. But if it were my motor I would tear it down and see how everything looks like. Find the root cause and repair all related damage. I'll post tomorro
How to check the gerotor
Pump clearance. With specs.

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. I work at a dealer so when we see this. The cam journals being scorn we would recommend a long block if it's customer pay or if it's warranty we will request for a long block. But if it were my motor I would tear it down and see how everything looks like. Find the root cause and repair all related damage. I'll post tomorro
How to check the gerotor
Pump clearance. With specs.

Thanks. I just finished pulling the oil pan. I'll check the crank endplay and rest of the bottom end over the week.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry man I been going through the workshop Manuel and can't seem to find the specs. I'll keep digging through

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
This is exactly the same failure I got back in May!!!! Same exact symptoms and same exact result...heads are shot!!! My block looked spotless though!!

I am now awaiting a new long block... sigh

I still can't figure out what happened first... VCT solenoid clogged, restricted oil flow, cams spun dry...but how did the solenoids get clogged to begin with?

My warranty had expired 4K miles ago and Ford said sorry, no warranty, no help. sigh

BTW, Ford redesigned their crappy VCT 13 times from 2005-2010!!!

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
This is exactly the same failure I got back in May!!!! Same exact symptoms and same exact result...heads are shot!!! My block looked spotless though!!

I am now awaiting a new long block... sigh

I still can't figure out what happened first... VCT solenoid clogged, restricted oil flow, cams spun dry...but how did the solenoids get clogged to begin with?

My warranty had expired 4K miles ago and Ford said sorry, no warranty, no help. sigh

BTW, Ford redesigned their crappy VCT 13 times from 2005-2010!!!

Did u ask for AWA? (after warranty assistance) they usually say yes. Especially if u have boughten plenty of fords before.

VCT sol get restricted I seen in aftermarket oil filter. They come apart. Always use ford oil filters.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Did u ask for AWA? (after warranty assistance) they usually say yes. Especially if u have boughten plenty of fords before.

VCT sol get restricted I seen in aftermarket oil filter. They come apart. Always use ford oil filters.

Hmm, didn't know about the AWA... Do you think its too late to make a claim now? I do have the dealer paperwork that said the VCT failed.

I've always used Mobil 1 filters... I thought...I read they were good filters.
My new engine will only use Ford Racing filters...as thats what my engine builder uses on their engines.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, didn't know about the AWA... Do you think its too late to make a claim now? I do have the dealer paperwork that said the VCT failed.

I've always used Mobil 1 filters... I thought...I read they were good filters.
My new engine will only use Ford Racing filters...as thats what my engine builder uses on their engines.

AWA only works if your getting your car fixed at that dealer. So the dealer is making the repairs. So if your car is still broken and your gonna want another stock motor in there. U have to take to dealer ask for AWA cause the dealer really isn't suppose to tell people about that. And they will summit to ford the cost with parts and labor to get it done. Then ford will come back and say they will pay an "X" amount of the total ticket. It could be any were from 30-60% of the total ticket cost. Usually about half tho.

It all depends on how good of a ford customer are you. Too. They look at bow many cars you buy etc..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back