Cam phaser lockout gone wrong

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Woke up this morning & said “Forget work, I’m gonna build a longblock!!” Talked to Lito, got lockouts yest….here we go!!! I take the 1st phaser off the cam, and start removing plate bolts….but “WAIT””, there’s pressure on two of these bolts…ahhh screw that, yank them out!!” Then a POP and that’s when I knew I’d screwed up! What do I do now? Trust me…I’m pissed enough at myself, let’s moved past that…I’m still trying myself!!

1. The hook (yellow) has to get back around to the R…is that even possible for me to do?

2. Do I even need to worry about it? Aren’t I “locking out” that function anyway? As long as I get pressure on it will it be ok?

3. I still have my old phasers, should I just use one of those?

I’m so pissed but it’s my own stupid fault!

61BF3504-D1C1-448B-8CF8-CBC87F498F74.jpeg

D75BD3A0-0BFB-4FAD-BFC6-D54648A7E2FE.jpeg

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Getting a new timing set is an option but it would kill me. I’m not happy with this kit I got from MMR. I had to cut and grind some of the plastic to get the chain guides to fit correctly. One of the spacers is too small but I think the factory one would work….but it’s not the right one for that guide.

This ad says it’s the “updated kit”…can someone educated me on this? What’s updated? Hoping my MMR kit is an old version and this one fixes the issues

3F95203D-035B-4D7E-85FD-AF1A45344753.png

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If this is your method of working on intricate parts with the detail and complexity of engine building, I would take the sign to hire this one out.
Read, like holy shit go do some reading on installation procedure or better yet buy the tools from Comp.
This is still "tech"...right?

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
If this is your method of working on intricate parts with the detail and complexity of engine building, I would take the sign to hire this one out.
Read, like holy shit go do some reading on installation procedure or better yet buy the tools from Comp.
This is still "tech"...right?
No sir…not the normal method, just woke up with alittle to much energy I guess. I’ve watched several vids on several things, just forgot this one. I believe this is what “techs” all about isn’t it? Working on something, making mistakes, learning from those mistakes, & learning what the components do and how they work together! Not only did I learn a few things, I was also able to show a way to correct the mistake, hoping to show others who might make that mistake in the future!! Rock on!!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
No sir…not the normal method, just woke up with alittle to much energy I guess. I’ve watched several vids on several things, just forgot this one. I believe this is what “techs” all about isn’t it? Working on something, making mistakes, learning from those mistakes, & learning what the components do and how they work together! Not only did I learn a few things, I was also able to show a way to correct the mistake, hoping to show others who might make that mistake in the future!! Rock on!!
THis is 100% not tech

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
THis is 100% not tech
K….my bad!

I think I got it all ready to go. Gonna go over the bolts again with torque wrench. Can’t seem to find trigger plate anywhere…dammit! Any tips installing the timing cover and oil pan? Think I need to dab some sealant on head to block cracks. Gonna watch a few vids on oil pan & timing cover replacements to see how it’s all being sealed best! Not as fun as I thought but it’s all working out

830BAF89-3D05-449E-8BA5-65C3BBC5C37C.jpeg

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
K….my bad!

I think I got it all ready to go. Gonna go over the bolts again with torque wrench. Can’t seem to find trigger plate anywhere…dammit! Any tips installing the timing cover and oil pan? Think I need to dab some sealant on head to block cracks. Gonna watch a few vids on oil pan & timing cover replacements to see how it’s all being sealed best! Not as fun as I thought but it’s all working out

View attachment 87350
Anywhere there is a seam/joint/two halves meet you want to use a small amount of RTV. I like The Right Stuff from permatex

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a little worried about all of the cutting and grinding and rehabbing, but hey I put my tensioners arms on the wrong sides at first due to the crappy labeling. There's always a junkyard 5.3 waiting if this thing doesn't make it, welders are like $1000 from primeweld.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I'm a little worried about all of the cutting and grinding and rehabbing, but hey I put my tensioners arms on the wrong sides at first due to the crappy labeling. There's always a junkyard 5.3 waiting if this thing doesn't make it, welders are like $1000 from primeweld.
Me too man, meeee too!! I wanted to do a build where I had all the parts so I started buying parts looong ago. Well…the problem with that is if something goes wrong (like crappy fitment) I’m kinda fried. I’ve had these parts wrapped up waiting for install for over a year now so I’m out on most returns

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back