Cam Swap - Tool Recommendation / Question

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
OK, I need to ping this off of guys who have done cams on the 3v 4.6 engines...

I have two spring compressors. One that looks like this...

clear.gif

And one that looks like this...

94420.jpg

This one is specified as being a Ford approved tool...

I think I can do the Cam / Spring swap with the one I displayed first, BUT why would mine be $10 and the "Ford" specific spring compressor is $100?

I'm pretty comfortable with doing this swap with my tools, but am I missing something?

Thanks,
Spaz

Last edited:

matt texass

Reaction score
i heard these springs are no fun to trade out.......... what are you going with

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty comfortable with doing this swap with my tools, but am I missing something?
Have you looked at the springs/retainers on these puppies? They are itsy bitsy, teeny, weeny (though no yellow polka dots or bikinis... )

I have to admit I did not even try using something else - grabbed that expensive tool and never looked back... But I did so because I don't think you are going to be able to do it without wrecking something with something else...

If you can do it - post up some pics, but if you have not already, pop a valve cover and take a look before you do...

The first tool looks like a no go period - not enough space. The second might work, though again, take a look at the retainer before try...

The Ford tool is designed to work with the head on the engine. That is part of the issue...

The other issue is that you need to compress 3 of them to get the cam out without wrecking it - you have to take 3 followers out to have no load on the cam prior to removing the caps on the cam. Neither of your tools is likely to work for that...

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
BBR Stage 2 cams with Comp Cams 26113-24. They are designed for FI systems. I am NA right now, but everything I am doing now is in preperation for FI later.

Hope to get into the 11.xx sec range before I add a KB2.6L...

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
The third tool is a 4v tool. The 3v specific is different and costs even more. If you are doing this without taking the timing cover off, you also need the "wedge" tool to hold your timing chain in place. If you don't have it you will... well, its not pretty!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Have you looked at the springs/retainers on these puppies? They are itsy bitsy, teeny, weeny (though no yellow polka dots or bikinis... )

I have to admit I did not even try using something else - grabbed that expensive tool and never looked back... But I did so because I don't think you are going to be able to do it without wrecking something with something else...

If you can do it - post up some pics, but if you have not already, pop a valve cover and take a look before you do...

The first tool looks like a no go period - not enough space. The second might work, though again, take a look at the retainer before try...

The Ford tool is designed to work with the head on the engine. That is part of the issue...

The other issue is that you need to compress 3 of them to get the cam out without wrecking it - you have to take 3 followers out to have no load on the cam prior to removing the caps on the cam. Neither of your tools is likely to work for that...

Shit! Forgot about the followers...

Looks like I'm spending the $100. I new I was missing something. Thanks bro...

The one that you used looks like Pic three in my first post? Want to be sure I get the right one.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The third tool is a 4v tool. The 3v specific is different and costs even more. If you are doing this without taking the timing cover off, you also need the "wedge" tool to hold your timing chain in place. If you don't have it you will... well, its not pretty!

do you guys have a part number or source on the right valve tool?

I don't have a wedge. The last 2 OHC systems I did, I just used wire tires to hold the chains up. TRUST ME, I don't feel like pulling the front of the engine apart too...

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
You have get them from OTC. I will look cause I have the #'s somewhere. I would strongly suggest buying both the compressor tool and the wedge. Then you can re-sell them on the boards and be out only 20-30 bucks.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, if that's the case...Are you selling yours? Or do you turn a wrench for a living? If not, the part numbers would be awesome...

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I turn a wrench for a hobby. Sometimes more than I would like though. I have a friend with access to the correct tools. I have swapped 3v cams and it really is not that hard with the correct tools. You will also need new cam phaser bolts. They tighten to a ft/lb spec + 90*. I used my best judgement for the +90*.

OTC 800-533-6127
#303-1039 3v valve compressor tool
#303-1175 timing chain wedge tool

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you guys have a part number or source on the right valve tool?
That tool looks about right - not quite the same - mine has a screw to push down the spring down and hold it there rather than requiring constant pressure via a wrench as that one does...

I think Cali mentioned it, but there is yet another tool for holding the timing gear in place without using the timing chain that you'd need if the head is off. I think he has part numbers in his post as well...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool, thanks again guys...

I'm getting the service manual before I dig into it too.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks again man...

I'm getting the service manual before I dig into it too.
Definitely a must - no more wagging a thumb at it - aluminum is unforgiving of ballpark torques used on iron engines...

GI Joe

Reaction score
you can often find them on ebay, sometimes even used ( one time) :)

2oo5GT

The swap can be tricky and get the right tools for sure. The spring tool actually works with your cam, so the intake side is easy but the exhaust spring is under the cam. Just take your time on it. I have the comp stage 3 cams, springs, and retainers.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yea, I have two other vehicles so down time is not a problem. I want to be sure it is done right. The last time I rushed a spring / cam job, I dropped a valve into the cylinder. After that I said F it and pulled both heads. That was on a push rod engine though.

I did a timing chain on a Saab a few years back. Holy shit did that take a long time. Almost 10 hours. So I am not trying to add that labor to the cam swap... LOL

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tool you want looks very similar to the third pic, but it's not as bulky or "squared".

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back