cams..

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know there are more than a few threads bout cams..But my question is for my set-up..I currently have an 07 auto GT with a Vortech..My tuner is going to do a how-to from start to finish for his website/shop and for our local mustang club..He is suggesting Ford's hotrod blower cam..I am looking to save as much $$ as possible without sacrificing quality..I am hoping with new cams, I will gain some rpm's which will be perfect for a centry..thanks in advance, I will be purchasing within 3 weeks, for a january install..

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
i don't really see a question in there, but
if the question is should you go with the
hot rods....i would say yes, IF your tuner
is very confidant he can create a tune
with good idling characteristics.

also, sound is the main reason to
go with hot rods, if sound is not important,
you should consider cams designed specifically
for supercharged applications

good luck, i'm looking forward to your tuners
write-up

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
edit...no blower only Hot rods, thanks..

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i heard the comp " thmper " cams had better results , but like said before i would do a comp stage 2 blower cam over a lopey n/a cam ...... just my 2cents

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
I would go for the thumpers by Comp. There's a few vids of them on youtube.

The comps blower cams are going to be the best for boost.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would go for the thumpers by Comp. There's a few vids of them on youtube.

The comps blower cams are going to be the best for boost.

Ya, I agree..The hot rods will give me sound, but not much in the HP dept..I am 99% sold on the Comp's stage 1 bower cam..I am looking for more HP, but more importantly I want it to rev higher, cuz right now with mu auto and 4:10's, it winds out pretty quick..Then it shouldnt drop to much boost during a shift..

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
... but more importantly I want it to rev higher, cuz right now with mu auto and 4:10's, it winds out pretty quick..Then it shouldnt drop to much boost during a shift..
I also have an auto and 4.10s, and still run the stock cams. My shift points are set at 6700-6800 rpm. How much higher do you want/need to go?

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also have an auto and 4.10s, and still run the stock cams. My shift points are set at 6700-6800 rpm. How much higher do you want/need to go?

Wow, I didnt realize you could go that high with stock cams..Im assuming that it will rev to about where you are now Don, and then it shouldnt drop too much boost barring the tranny is tuned correctly..If I pick up 20 whp I will be happy, but more importantly, I want to see a better 1/4 mile number, and I dont want it to fall on its face between 3rd and 4th gear, like it feels like its doing now cuz its shifting too early

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
Why not fix the transmission shifting early by tuning the transmission shift points rather than throwing a set of cams in that are designed for a natutally aspirated car?
If your shift point is set for 6000 RPM your car will shift at 6000 RPM no matter what cam you have in the car. Also, there is no Hot Rod blower cam, and I tried telling you that in my first reply.
You can change the shift points in the user settings of your handheld.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not fix the transmission shifting early by tuning the transmission shift points rather than throwing a set of cams in that are designed for a natutally aspirated car?
If your shift point is set for 6000 RPM your car will shift at 6000 RPM no matter what cam you have in the car. Also, there is no Hot Rod blower cam, and I tried telling you that in my first reply.
You can change the shift points in the user settings of your handheld.

I agree with you on the Hot Rods, I was being told from a few people that they made a blower grind, which is incorrect..Im not just throwing cams in for the sole purpose of shift points..It was tuned to shift at 6,000, which is obviously not high enough..I am going with Comp's stage 1 blower cam(I wont be above 11-12 lbs of boost, so I dont think I need the stage 2's)..I want some more HP, and of course I want the sound:thumb:..
Am I far off by thinking that if it will rev higher with the Comp's that It will be more than enough to reach peak boost and power with the Vortech?
And Im convinced that if it shifting at a higher rpm, that the boost wont drop off as much as it does now, which should help my 1/4? This is semi new to me, so everyone's input is welcome of course..

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BBR STAGE 2 BLOWER CAMS

Ron's beast has those! they sound great too

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
best I can do from the office... our firewall stops youtube so I had to go back to his build thread for this....

[/QUOTE]

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just ordered Comp stage 1 blower cams...:thumb:..I cant wait to hear and tune it..Thanks for the help guys..:beer:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
from all of the 4 stages of comp cams i have heard there is little difference in the sound from stage 1 to stage 4 of the comps. I do not know much about cams but i do love the sound of my BBR stage 2's. nothing i have heard in videos or in person on a s197 has sounded better IMO

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so whats the verdict after the install, tell any power differnce and of course sound!? I was thinking of getting them or the stage 2's.

I am picking it up tommorow and its going directly to my tuners shop for another dyno tune..I will post up the results as soon as its tuned..
from all of the 4 stages of comp cams i have heard there is little difference in the sound from stage 1 to stage 4 of the comps. I do not know much about cams but i do love the sound of my BBR stage 2's. nothing i have heard in videos or in person on a s197 has sounded better IMO

Ya, honestly, I was going after more of a horsepower/rev it higher approach(Hot Rod cams sound great too, but there wouldnt have been any real power gains to speak of, just the sound) ..My buddy told me they sound pretty good, but I will be the judge of that tommorow:beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back