Car Care Preparation for Winter

28ONE

Reaction score
Are you swirled out that bad you need to start out with fg400? After polishing, especially after using Menzerna polishes, I'd give it a quick wash before applying Sonax PNS - a lot of polishing oils in Merzerna products...

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
When using the netshield, do I use Sonax fg400> Netshield> Sonax Brilliant Shine? Are they the correct steps?

Since your car is black and depending on how bad your swirls are I would go in this order. Wash, clay, compound., polish, IPA/Eraser, SPNS and the BSD. You will be very happy w/ your results. What aggressiveness of the compound you go with will depend on what shape your paint is in.

nbk92

forum member
Reaction score
Are you swirled out that bad you need to start out with fg400? After polishing, especially after using Menzerna polishes, I'd give it a quick wash before applying Sonax PNS - a lot of polishing oils in Merzerna products...

Actually not swirled at all. About a month ago I did a full detail on the car. I used Meg's 105> megs 205> black light> lava> v7. I see now that fg400 is too aggressive.

Since your car is black and depending on how bad your swirls are I would go in this order. Wash, clay, compound., polish, IPA/Eraser, SPNS and the BSD. You will be very happy w/ your results. What aggressiveness of the compound you go with will depend on what shape your paint is in.

In light of black light not being durable, I wanted to use the recommended SPNX for added protection against swirls. I wasn't sure if I had to use fg400 to take the wax and polish off.

That said, what steps should I take I order to use the spnx and bsd? Also I want to use the spnx and bsd on my new truck. No swirls at all, but I would like to protect the paint as the truck is a daily driver.

What polish do you recommend?

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
The polish I use is menzerna's SF4500. It is on the oily side so I would do an IPA wipe down afterwards then apply SPNS and BSD. This will insure your paint is clean and SPNS will bond properly to your paint which in turn will make it last longer.

nbk92

forum member
Reaction score
The polish I use is menzerna's SF4500. It is on the oily side so I would do an IPA wipe down afterwards then apply SPNS and BSD. This will insure your paint is clean and SPNS will bond properly to your paint which in turn will make it last longer.

Got it. I will order it up. As far as my truck goes, it is new and Ford's White Tri-coat Platinum; the paint doesn't seem to shine or have the depth that it could have. What do you recommend for that and what steps?

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
A good polish on that white will help make it pop. I've done it to a white pearl KIA and used SPNS and BSD. The combo of both products really looks good on white. Even though its new it really needs a polish to take away the dealer's prep. They do more harm than good.

nbk92

forum member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find the time to do the detail.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Lots of time coming up next week...I actually think I'm going to renew my membership to autoality and get a jump on my detailing while I'm off work.

Likely going with the SPNS and Detailer over Cquartz for now, just to see how it works before I reevaluate.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered Sonax Wet Shield, along with the Brilliant Shine Quick Detailer

Back