Cat-back and resonators

Jay Dee

Reaction score
Hello all. Does a catback exhaust remove any factory resonators in a 2011 mustang gt automatic? I had a 2015 mustang gt auto and removed the resonators with straight piping and just put axle backs on. Not sure about the 2011 setup?

JD

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
07 Roush,

Nope. The resonators are in the tail pipes (from the mid-pipe to the axleback joint). If the previous owner installed over-the-axle (OTA) pipes then the resonators are gone.

HTH,

Chris

Wolf302

Reaction score
On a 2011-14 catback setups will remove the stock resonators because they usually come with their own over-axle pipes.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Thanks, Wolf302, for correcting my bad info (blush, blush).

Jay Dee: Sorry, I misread your post and was responding about axlebacks, not a catback. No resonators on the OTA pipes in an aftermarket catback.

Gotta go to remedial reading class now...

Chris

diambo4life

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my turbo car that retains the stock mid pipe section (with the resonators) after the stock "X" merge. A catback would eliminate this as stated because it would bolt after the cats and go all the way to the back of the car.

PXL_20230704_220110764.MP.jpg

Jay Dee

Reaction score
Thanks all. As stated above I'd plan on putting on a cat-back. Now, let me ask this. I don't want to put on headers, but I'd like to find a midpipe that has high flow cats to update the factory cats. Everything I've found requires the addition of long tubes with a high flow cat setup. I did find one that was magnaflow high cats with tru x setup but it was like $1500. Is there anything else out there?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back