Catch can vs vent to atmo

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I've been on the fence to try breathers myself. Seems fairly cheap to try and gives it a little old school look under the hood. Can anyone recommend one to replace the oil cap in a blue element? Seems to be the quality of the product is the key to "no smell and no leaks".

high quality or not, vapors are going to escape, that's the purpose of the breathers after all, you just have to keep up on cleaning them to avoid an oil mess

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen people do all three.

hmm interesting, not trying to stray you away from doing what you want to do I just would never see the need to do all three. I would assume just both pcv tubes on the covers would be fine lol. For now I plan to do just both tubes with my build, until I can get my catch can set up finished, well started first, but two breathers is a quick band aid for now!

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
high quality or not, vapors are going to escape, that's the purpose of the breathers after all, you just have to keep up on cleaning them to avoid an oil mess

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

Yup! my father runs his 78 pick up with the 351 in it every other day, he has to clean his around every 2-3 weeks depending on travel length and if he pushes it hard or not.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The oil cap breather helps a lot and makes a noticeable difference. I run all 3.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
hmm interesting, not trying to stray you away from doing what you want to do I just would never see the need to do all three. I would assume just both pcv tubes on the covers would be fine lol. For now I plan to do just both tubes with my build, until I can get my catch can set up finished, well started first, but two breathers is a quick band aid for now!

On my boosted 3v, I had breathers on the 2 pcv locations. I noticed the passenger side breather would always get "soaked" with oil, especially after some WOT runs.

I installed the oil cap breather with hopes that it would fix the issue and it did. I would recommend all 3, especially on a boosted setup.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Where can you get a oil cap breather for a coyote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I routed my pass side hose into a jlt that is vented. Catches the oil and still vented. Driver side is K&N breather.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Breathers here on my Coyote. I've never smelled any vapors and have yet to have to clean them. Oh and zero oil in the intake.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I have two extra oil caps, I'll just drill/tap one for a fitting and put a breather on that way lol. cap retained and breather accepted! :)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I have two extra oil caps, I'll just drill/tap one for a fitting and put a breather on that way lol. cap retained and breather accepted! :)

Sounds like a plan; I think I 'll do this too! :beerdrink:

But for those running valve-cover breathers only, is it usually, or always, the passenger side that tends to blow out oil and soak the breather?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan; I think I 'll do this too! :beerdrink:

But for those running valve-cover breathers only, is it usually, or always, the passenger side that tends to blow out oil and soak the breather?

Well my car while NA with the jlt catch can on the drivers side I would always get oil in it, but I never put a catch can on the passenger side and I checked the line frequently and never saw a drop of oil, FI could be a different story.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well my car while NA with the jlt catch can on the drivers side I would always get oil in it, but I never put a catch can on the passenger side and I checked the line frequently and never saw a drop of oil, FI could be a different story.

..it is F/I that I am interested in..
For n/a, sure, a catch can on driver side is the way to go!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back