Centrifugal Supercharger with Shaker and Hotrods!

KcMstang

forum member
Reaction score
If you check my sig you will see I have a CDC shaker already and FRPP hotrod cams. I was curious as to which centrifugal supercharger works best with the shaker hood? Brenspeed has a pic of the Vortech/Paxton with a shaker but didn't know about the Procharger. Just wanted to keep my options open, going to run into some $$$ shortly and want to get my ducks in a row on what kit to purchase. Also will I have any kind of tuning issues since I already have the hotrod cams? I've searching and didn't read of many so I feel confident that I will be alright.

Thanks

KcMstang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could adapt the procharger to fit the supershaker as well, if so I would go procharger.

What are some of the reasons for going procharger over the vortech/paxton h.o. packages? What vendor sells the procharger?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I ran a Paxton HO kit on mine for a short time, I have nothing bad to say about Paxton or Vortech. They are more reasonably priced to for that matter but the overall performace I think goes to procharger. The procharger kit seems alot neater and better put together than the Paxton/vortech kits from what I've seen and toyed with.

Either way you can't go wrong.... It's all in your preference. I'm pretty sure there are several vendors that sell the procharger kits. I would have to look to be specific.

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
You can adapt either to work. As for the "better than" opinions, I'd take all those with a grain of salt.

Suffice it to say that any of the units from Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, all have plenty of doccumented success. In other words, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Apples to apples a Procharger is not going to make more power than Vortech, or a Paxton provided we are comparing units of similarly rated cfm, etc.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Procharger! And make it work with shaker and post lots of pics. This was my plan a few years back before i decided to go turbo.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
if you search around, there was someone that posted a few pics of his setup with a procharger and shaker.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
No luck, I tired! I've been wanting to see this setup for some time now!

The guy posted me pics through a PM a while back when he was on here.. but do to the size I had to delete it long ago.. but this should be good enough

DCFC00022.JPG

DCFC00011.JPG

This is from the procharger web site:

1. ProCharger // Aug 10, 2009 at 12:20 pm
    Yes, the ProCharger system will work with the Classic Design Concepts Shaker Hood Scoop kit. Check out the August 2009 issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords for an article detailing the installation of a ProCharger HO System onto a 2010 Mustang GT equipped with a Shaker Hood Scoop.

mmfp_0807_02_zenginefront_view.jpg

garage-image-6115

look what I ran into in my search way back when Don still had hair?! HAHAH ... Damn I was in the fore front of it all! SD's got nothing on me! :beerdrink:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/42154-Holy-Shaker-Batman!!-!-!

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The setup in the first pics has to end up being some sort of inlet restriction at some point. Even being a "ram" air type of effect really isn't going to be able to move enough air to feed a blower past a certain point.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
The setup in the first pics has to end up being some sort of inlet restriction at some point. Even being a "ram" air type of effect really isn't going to be able to move enough air to feed a blower past a certain point.

Pretty sure the Super Shaker get's ALL it's air through the shaker scoop as well ... so can't be that much of an issue. I'm just curious how he is filtering it.

The Vortech and Paxtons fit with much less hacking ...

m5lp_0912_08_+2010_mustang_gt+engine.jpg

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
You are right the Super Shaker does get all of its air from the scoop, but the Throttle body is immediately behind it, sans for a water baffle to keep from water getting into the blower. The water trap can be removed for better performance at the cost of not being able to drive in the rain.

The CDC shaker, like the one in the first picture, has the same type of baffling built into it, but since there are to 90* bends that neck the diameter of the piping down quite a bit, you won't get the same effect. In fact, when I had the CDC shaker on my car, I would lose a constant 1-2mph in the 1/4 mile when installing per the instructions and blocking off the opening in the stock air box, making the shaker the only source of air to the intake.

As far as filtering, CDC had a kit for Mach 1's that installed an air filter inside the shaker. I'm pretty sure that the owner of that car modified that system for his purposes.

KcMstang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics...Right now the Paxton/Vortech kits from Brenspeed got my eye. Trying to decide and get an intercooled kit to begin with or just the basic and upgrade later...

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Go intercooled if at all possible from the start IMO. Less heat soak, less stress on the motor from added heat, and more power at the same boost due to being able to increase timing.

KcMstang

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I've narrowed it down to the Paxton H.O. kit, now to choose if I wanna pay the extra for the polished finish or just satin...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back