Chainsaw & Weedeater

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The guides made it helpful for the angle. We also used to nip the tooth in front of the cutter that set the depth. That made the chain go farther once it started to really wear out. Not too much or that fucker really jumps LOL

That's the depth gauge or 'raker'. You want them at .030" to .035" depth measured from a straight edge laid across the tops of the cutter teeth. I usually just eyeball them and hit them with about 2-3 swipes with a flat file every 3-4 sharpenings.

Use your bench vise to hold the saw bar when filing. It helps tremendously when you don't have to hold the saw steady while working on it. I'm so lazy that I mounted a vise on my bucket truck for sharpening my saws during the day.

truckvise1.jpg

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good choices and don't forget the safety gear!! A good pair of chainsaw safety gloves and some chaps may sound like nothing important but they can really save your ass.

Earl

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl i already wear chaps lol. Too many damn rattle snakes. Im going to buy some mechanics gloves for all of us, we have so much shit to burn and throw away.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Stihl like others have said buy stihl the first time and they will last you the rest of your life if you take care of them...Dad has had echo and stihl and stihl is def the way to go IMO Echo was great but we havent had ANY issues with the stihl

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
No chainsaw here, but I do have a Ryobi weedeater with the change-out attachments. I got it at Lowe's several years back, and it's been good, but if I had it to do over again, I would get one of those heavy duty straight shaft weedeaters, like someone mentioned. The kind with the changeable attachment just doesn't have the sturdy "feel" that I wish it did. Although it's been pretty good to me, I would not really recommend it.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
i went with a stihl kombi system- i love it.

i don't think you can go wrong with a echo or stihl.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back