Changing front A arm bushings to Whiteline

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I had already changed the rear front A arm bushings to Whiteline and forgot to take any pictures but there are other threads on those so you'll see them in my pictures but no description of the swap. Except to say it is messy but once done does make a really nice noticeable difference to the steering feel.

Another place you'll feel these bushing changes is under braking. The original setup from Ford both bushings allow the A arm to move a significant amount reward as braking forces are applied. The Whiteline bushings both the front one and the back one are much stiffer in the axial movement along the lower A arm pivot.

The rear bushings I changed later because when I bought my rear bushings the fronts weren't included and I didn't know they existed. They don't make as big a difference in feel. They do decrease the sticktion and spring rate slightly. While the poly on the Whiteline bushings is slightly stiffer than the rubber it is also thicker so it probably deflects about the same as the stock bushings. But unlike the stock bushings the Whiteline bushings are lubricated the liner sleeve and outer poly sleeve are not bonded together so the yellow bushing in the arm is free to rotate on the inner gold sleeve. On the stock bushings the inner sleeve is bonded together with the outer sleeve making it act like a rubber spring.

This is with everything removed except the A arm. The front bolt can be removed with the rack turned all the way to the opposite side.

IMG_2344.jpg

The bushing we're changing.

IMG_2345.jpg

The new setup going in.

IMG_2346.jpg

Clamp the arm securely.

IMG_2347.jpg

An extra long 1 1/4 inch hole saw. Use water to lubricate the saw and keep from melting the rubber to the saw. You'll need a pretty large high torque drill motor.

IMG_2348.jpg

I forgot a picture here. Once the rubber and inner sleeve are removed use a saber saw or Skill saw to cut through the out sleeve of the bushing. Make sure to cut towards the arm so if you score the outer sleeve you don't leave a stress riser where the outer A arm sleeve could crack. Once it is cut through it will come out really easy with a couple of hammer taps and a drift. Clean up the end and touch up with paint. Put the new bushings in as pictured. Lubricate the inside and put the center sleeve in, lube the outside of it too, wipe away excess grease and reassemble.

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

Last edited:

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
What is the material that the bushings are made from?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
im wondering how much turn in would be affected with these over the steeda black insert kit?

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
any on-track feedbacks?

No just drove a couple times since putting them in. Honestly I wouldn't expect much from the front bushings the rear big yellow ones with the gold anodized aluminum housing made a very large difference. Much better feel, turn in and precision to the steering.

What is the material that the bushings are made from?

I can't remember what they call it. It is supposed to be propritary and so something no one else has.

im wondering how much turn in would be affected with these over the steeda black insert kit?

Have no idea how the Steeda ones work only tried these and the stock ones. It is the rear front A arm bushing where the most is to be gained. But they sell them as a pair no so once you pull the A arm out you might as well do both.

No lube between the bushing and the arm only between the bushing and the inner sleeve. I actually put some wet paint in the A arm and pushed the bushing when it was still wet to help the bushing stick to the outer sleeve.

Last edited: