Changing master cylinder size / volume

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried, of found a different size master cylinder (not the reservoir) that works with these cars? Even with the system completely bled and stainless brake lines, I'd still like to have a harder pedal, with less travel. In the past (on different cars) I've run a larger volume master, which has accomplished this. Anyone found or tested one on a s197?

Thanks!

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see if the '15 stuff could be made work. The pump is tiny but thick, pedal feel is incredible (even on the non PP car)

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
That frpp deal is just idiotic. Besides, all I need is the master, with a larger piston. Last time I changed one of these, it cost less than $200. The ones on a s197 don't appear fundamentally different than any others I've seen over the years.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried, of found a different size master cylinder (not the reservoir) that works with these cars? Even with the system completely bled and stainless brake lines, I'd still like to have a harder pedal, with less travel. In the past (on different cars) I've run a larger volume master, which has accomplished this. Anyone found or tested one on a s197?

Thanks!
What pads are you using? They can make a difference in pedal feel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
What pads are you using? They can make a difference in pedal feel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

This, Also are you having issues on track or just generally talking about street driving ( i assume track). There are a few things/tricks you can do to get the pedal more consistent. I like you also looked for a solution, Its not as simple as putting the Chrysler MS on a fox though. Give us some more details on your issues.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
There's no "issue", it's just a driver-preference thing. The car has Carbotech pads (20 front 16 rear). There's plenty of brake friction and I'm not getting any fade, I just like a pedal with less travel and more resistance. In the past, I've accomplished this by a slight change in master cylinder bore size. Having done all the "typical" things folks do to their brake systems (braided lines, pads, ect.) I've been looking at masters again. You can buy a new, factory piece for under $100, but I haven't found and direct bolt-on pieces, of a different bore size, anywhere.

travelers

Reaction score
you can always take it to a good machine shop and have them bore it out to a size you have cups for

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
That's definitely an option and I know a few people I could task with that job, but that's definitely the hard way to do it. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, so to speak. If I do end up with a solution, I'll be sure to let everyone know. I can't be the only person who's considered doing this.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
That's definitely an option and I know a few people I could task with that job, but that's definitely the hard way to do it. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, so to speak. If I do end up with a solution, I'll be sure to let everyone know. I can't be the only person who's considered doing this.

Have checked the '15 part? I have zero access to those parts down here and love to test and check weird stuff but can't do it on this.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the '15 part. I'll have to keep an eye open for one.

Back