Chattering at WOT

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is a ridiculous question to ask but I noticed last night on my way home that there was a chattering noise coming from the engine. I had the car in 2nd gear to pass another car and around 5k rpm's the noise came but only last around and above 5k. It does it anytime the rpm's exceed 5k. My car is a 5 speed, has a 93 performance tune and is currently at 91,000 miles. I know that some valve noise is somewhat normal for cars that get into higher mileage, unless I have been misinformed. I don't know if it's a fuel problem or if it's the metal plate between the transmission and flywheel that ford fixed in 08 that caused a lot of noise. I have no clue, the most I have done with a mustang is replaced a clutch.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is a ridiculous question to ask but I noticed last night on my way home that there was a chattering noise coming from the engine. I had the car in 2nd gear to pass another car and around 5k rpm's the noise came but only last around and above 5k. It does it anytime the rpm's exceed 5k. My car is a 5 speed, has a 93 performance tune and is currently at 91,000 miles. I know that some valve noise is somewhat normal for cars that get into higher mileage, unless I have been misinformed. I don't know if it's a fuel problem or if it's the metal plate between the transmission and flywheel that ford fixed in 08 that caused a lot of noise. I have no clue, the most I have done with a mustang is replaced a clutch.

Sounds like the "chatter" you hear is detonation. Have you checked fuel pressure?

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
No I haven't checked my fuel pressure yet. I haven't really checked anything since I don't know where to start. Yeah that's exactly what it sounded like, marbles in a can. I don't let my car get that high anymore until I figure out what it is.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Detonation. Need to check Fuel Pressure. Need to change the Fuel Filter. POssible bad gas! If these items do not help, contact Bama about the tune

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Okay thanks very much. Ill get to it and see if that fixes it. Thanks again!

If your knock sensors are turned on it shouldn't happen. Like said above it could be gas, fuel filter, etc.

How long have you been running the tune? If you have access to the parameters you could pull 2 degrees of global timing and see what happens. Of course this would be if it's not a fuel related problem. I'd be contacting bama and asking about the knock sensors. Specifically if they are turned on and if the sensitivity has been adjusted.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Is that common for Bama or any other remote tuner to turn the knock sensors off? That doesn't sound like a good idea for a remote tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ski

forum member
Reaction score
If bad gas isn't the cause, then carbon that has built up inside the cylinders or partially clogged fuel injectors may be the culprit. Before messing with the tune, see if dumping a can of Seafoam in the gas tank fixes it. However, it may take a couple hundred miles (and possibly a 2nd Seafoam treatment) to eliminate the pinging. Been there, done that.

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't revved it in neutral to see if it makes the same noise so I don't know about that one. Ill give the seafoam a try, I wouldn't think it's bad gas, I only run shell through it and on occasion BP. Thanks for all the input and glad it's aomething that isn't going to end cataatrophic.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Don't be so sure, detonation can be very catastrophic!

YEP! "Want to see something really scary"?

This is boost with a lack of fuel! LOL

photobucket-21955-1340366542141.jpg

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
Catastrophic* I hate iPhones auto correct. Thanks guys, way to put my mind at ease lol. I won't be able to look at the fuel filter till this weekend, is rather do that first because the mileage on my car it wouldn't hurt to replace at almost 100k

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Catastrophic* I hate iPhones auto correct. Thanks guys, way to put my mind at ease lol. I won't be able to look at the fuel filter till this weekend, is rather do that first because the mileage on my car it wouldn't hurt to replace at almost 100k
My pic was at 20 psi of boost and very little fuel pressure. LOL

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If I would have paid more attention I would have noticed that lol. Still scary, I bet that was a hell of a racket.

Acually it just sounded like gravel hitting my mufflers from the tires on the track. Turns out it was my pistons flying though the mufflers! LOL

Bad part is it has happened twice on two different motors!

Point is, detonation is not a good thing!

Mine actually went lean from lack of fuel both times and that is why you see more of a melted look and less of a broken one.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Could also just be a tank of bad gas. Run some lucas thru it and change filling stations and see what happens.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back