Chugging engine and CEL

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Today while making a right turn the engine in my car started acting like it was bogging and was kind of chugging along. At the same time the CEL started blinking and continued for about 30 seconds before it stopped. The car is running normally now and the CEL is off. I will pull the codes when I get home, but in the mean time any ideas what happened?

-Jeff

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You were running low on blinker fluid?

Check the pending codes and post them up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
You were running low on blinker fluid?

Check the pending codes and post them up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

That's my plan but my code reader is at home and I'm not. Will check later today.

-Jeff

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 did that once, same conditions. No explanations, no repeats but, it did do it. I didn't pull codes because it didn't recur.

The 2012 was a bit finicky, every once in a while it would get its sums wrong and choke and sputter hard on startup bc it drank a big slug of fuel down its windpipe. No reason again and not consistent.

My new '14 is completely issue-free thus far.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
So there were 3 DTC codes:

P0301 Misfire Cylinder #1
P0300 Generic Misfire
P0303 Misfire Cylinder #3

The car was running normal again after that brief episode and the CEL was off. I cleared the codes so we'll see if they come back or not. It's never done this before, Car has almost 27K on it.

To the question about a tune, yes there's a Ford Racing Pro-Cal tune in it, for about a year and a half now.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
The only time I ever experienced anything like that was when I "tossed" the car into an onramp, without turning off the save-your-life computer feature. Braking, downshifting (heel-and-toe) and violent turning told the stupid thing it better cut the power NOW, and it did. Came to its senses in a few seconds, and never happened again.

I suppose it could happen at lower intensities, if there are enough hiccups and tolerance breaches lined up.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled the COPs on cylinders 1 & 3 and checked the plugs for tightness. They were both snug. I figure the P0300 got thrown because there were two cylinders misfiring. Dr.unno, we'll see if they recur

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
You can swap 1&3 COP's with two that didn't throw codes and see if problem moves to those positions. If yes then COP's, if no, then engine harness or PCM. (To be absolutely sure you also swap fuel injector positions too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll wait for now to see if it recurs. Why do you suggest swapping the injectors?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Right. In that case though I would do that separately from moving the COPs so as to resolve between the COPs and injectors. To move the injectors would require removal of the fuel rail though.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Look, if it doesn't recur and doesn't follow the COPs, it's likely a glitch. Leave it and jog on. No damage was done. If it starts to recur, then you can be sure you have something to deal with.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Look, if it doesn't recur and doesn't follow the COPs, it's likely a glitch. Leave it and jog on. No damage was done. If it starts to recur, then you can be sure you have something to deal with.

Yup that's my plan.

-Jeff

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Modern cars are so complex, their subsystems so interlinked and they are almost unhardened against any kind of EMF. It`s actually astounding more glitches don`t occur.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Quit driving it like a grandma and beat the shit out of it, it will like you more.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Today while making a right turn the engine in my car started acting like it was bogging and was kind of chugging along. At the same time the CEL started blinking and continued for about 30 seconds before it stopped. The car is running normally now and the CEL is off. I will pull the codes when I get home, but in the mean time any ideas what happened?

-Jeff

With this weak ass tech post what did you expect? Dont fucking make the post until you have the information needed for someone to help you out. :321: You should know how this forum runs by now.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Because faulty injectors could also cause a misfire?

Here is the my experience:

Lots of codes
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122875

This problem liked to show up and ruin $600 track weekends. Replacing the engine harness kept the codes away through two more track days and six months of street use.

Keep us posted, hopefully it was a one time deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I was reading over on allfordmustangs.com about this problem. Seems Ford had TSB that adds an o-ring to the crank position sensor. Evidently this stabilizes it some how.

-Jeff

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back