Cities in Texas Info

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Im currently in El Paso. Stationed at Ft Bliss. After 21 years of service Im retiring. I have 105 days of terminal leave that starts on Oct 19.

Im orginally from Shreveport, la and the wife is from Louisiville, Ky. We have decided to stay in Texas because....well Texas!

Im considering a law enforcement carreer. Ive talked to recruiters in Irving, Dallas, FT Worth, Austin and San Antonio. I really do not want to stay here in El Paso.

So any police officers in those cities here?

Anyone that lives in those areas feel free to chime in about the areas. Im looking for cost of living, schools, atmosphere type info. Ive searched the web but would like to hear what you guys/gals may think. Any other info/advice/tips you may have is appreciated. :beer:

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
My cousin is a deputy sheriff here in Houston for Harris County, since a lot of dept are cutting back your best bet is to go to a dept, that is offering there own academy. If not you will have to find a community college to get tcleos certification then you can apply to any dept in the state of Texas. I would say move to Houston HPD is always hiring for the most part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My cousin is a deputy sheriff here in Houston for Harris County, since a lot of dept are cutting back your best bet is to go to a dept, that is offering there own academy. If not you will have to find a community college to get tcleos certification then you can apply to any dept in the state of Texas. I would say move to Houston HPD is always hiring for the most part.

But not HISD schools cause they suck balls. Gotta live on the outskirts .

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I live in Mansfield and I have a buddy here who is Dallas PD. and loves the gig. I heard Arlington isn't bad either as far as PD goes.

Last edited:

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
State trooper. Buddy just ETS and got except ed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I start terminal leave in Oct. So looks like I will be traveling the state this fall/winter trying to decide

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I work for a small department on the outskirts of the city (roughly 30 miles from the city) and it is not bad at all. It's a great job/career with benefits for you and the family.

I nearly made the move to SAPD as well a few months ago as I was considering a change for a while. Most of your larger cities are going to have openings as long as you do well in the academy.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I work for a small department on the outskirts of the city (roughly 30 miles from the city) and it is not bad at all. It's a great job/career with benefits for you and the family.

I nearly made the move to SAPD as well a few months ago as I was considering a change for a while. Most of your larger cities are going to have openings as long as you do well in the academy.

Yeah he teased me with the thought of another s197er moving closer lol.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Lubbock PD is always hiring bud, I applied there but didn't apply quick enough to take the entrance exam which is today. If you don't mind dealing with unruly college kids.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you wouldn't mind a "smaller" PD, looking into Katy ISD, or even Katy City PD. Schools are top notch, area is outside of Houston, plenty of homes being built, new schools being built, new subdivisions etc. Nice area to live/work in. I live in the Katy city limits and I love it here. I lived 15 minutes east of where I am now, and it's night and day difference. Traffic, community, everything is slower and better.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back