DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
8 FLEX PLATE BOLTS, and a center counter weight

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Indeed, a cast crank will have 6 counter weights, forged has 8 counterweights (two more in the center) and will have 8 bolt holes for flywheel or flex plate. 3v cast steel cranks have 6 bolts and 2v cast iron cranks have either 6 or 8 bolt holes.

ROUSH06GA

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 03-04, in the basement I can give you the number off it. Not sure if that would help any. they are Kellogg made specifically for ford.
stamped "Ford" on the casting

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
As far as I know only the 2003-2004 Terminator cranks are the forged Kelloggs.

1996-2001 used a different part number.

-Steve

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Then who made the earlier cranks? Since they all have forged cranks.

Edit: NM, found it. Gerlach-Werke. I'll have to double check mine. I'm pretty sure it's a Kellog.

Last edited:

BlackBullitt1390

forum member
Reaction score
I know the Kellog are shit hot. What of the earlier ones? I'm working on a deal for one. Would be going in my 05 block being built as a turbo engine.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All the 8 bolt cobra cranks are proven.

I had one that I was going to use out of an 01 cobra before I decided to go with the stock cast steel crank instead as its very well made and lighter and fit my goals better.

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I know a lot of builders were using the FRPP 98-01 M-6303-D46 crank in high horsepower builds, worked quite well.

-Steve

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Because the Windsor plant put out 8 bolt cast cranks back then a lot of guys assumed that all 8 bolt cranks were forged.

To my knowledge the 8 bolt forged cobra cranks have the two center counter weights like this for 96-04. The additional counterweights were added due to the heavier/denser forging. Looks cast to me.

Some mk8's and gt's had 8 bolt cranks that everyone thought were forged back then but were cast iron.

And some more info to blow your mind. Theres also supposed to be a forged crank out there with modified center counterweights that was made lighter for hyper rods/pistons, where as the full center weight version was for the forged manley rod setup from ford. Good luck. lol

engine002.jpg

Last edited:

BlackBullitt1390

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew there were both 6 and 8 bolt cast cranks thats why I wanted to educate myself on the Cobra cranks. The seller says he pulled it right out of a wrecked '97 Cobra. I can't find any reference to the c/n on the crank either.

Only thing I can think of is the engine was rebuilt at some point using a SOHC crank. Or it's this oddball lightweight forged crank you eluded to.

The seam on this one looks like a cast.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back