Code 0340, with a new PA alternator!

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I spoke to PA when I bought my chrome 130 AMP alternator from them. I couldn't decide if I wanted the 130 or 200 amp. They helped me into buying the 130 AMP really the selling point to me was the lifetime warranty on the 130 amp compared to the 6 month warranty on the 200 amp.

I informed them all about my saleen blower and how it's turned around. I gave them all the details so I made sure I bought the right one. I did ask them to leave the pulley off since I was putting on the one from the saleen kit I didn't want to take any chances with it.

Haven't had a problem yet

2573042719_82444f50c3_b.jpg

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
30k miles on my PA 200A alternator and no codes, knock on wood

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lifetime warranty for the 130 sounds good. Would that have an impact on the battery due to running the fan, i/c pump and w/p with the car shut off? Would it be the same as running the stock alt?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This "new" alternator just quit on me, thats number 2. My factory warranty just ran out. Besides PA any other places to get a good alternator from? I need one asap.

Thanks
Not doubting you - just asking: are you absolutely sure it is the new part# alternator? I have yet to see one fail.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I got a used factory one with low low miles for cheap...
shameless plug

ren274u

forum member
Reaction score
Not doubting you - just asking: are you absolutely sure it is the new part# alternator? I have yet to see one fail.

Thats what is says on the warranty sheet when they replaced the original one. The service writer even told me I was getting a different one so Im guessing thats what he meant.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Thats what is says on the warranty sheet when they replaced the original one. The service writer even told me I was getting a different one so Im guessing thats what he meant.
I'm not doubting you but check your invoice and see what part number was installed. The 05/06 alternator does not supercede to this new part number. So if they installed the alternator by application you do not have this new part number. The only way to get this new part number is via the TSB or purchase it across the parts counter.

ren274u

forum member
Reaction score
I took he car in for the TSB and the TSB is listed on the invoice along with the newer part number you posted earlier in this thread. I just went ahead and got the PA Alternator and hope it will last longer then a year and a half. Plus the lifetime warranty doesn't hurt

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I may have my second bad OEM alternator and looking at getting the PA 130amp if I need to (will test the stocker tomorrow).

In reference to the pulley and max shaft RPM speed. I have an 8 rib pulley which is 2.5". Based on the above formula and at 6400 engine rpm, I'd be at 16640rpm on the alt which is over the 16000rpm they warranty.

So what to do? Get the 2.75" pulley? If so, where could I find an 8 rib?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guessing that 2.94" pulley they supplied worked out for you Tom?

I'm calling them right now to see what they say.

**Edit: Talked to Kevin (seems like a nice guy) and they have a 2.73" 8rib pulley that will work. Now I just need to determine if it's the alternator that's bad.

Last edited:

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Kevin is the dude that I talked to during my problem.... he is the guy that kept insisting that I had changed the crank pulley on my car but I stood my ground telling him that I hadn't, and when they went to a Ford dealer they found that I wasn't lying. After that, he took good care of me.

The larger pulley has been working fine, other than the fact that I have my idle set at 750rpm and it barely charges at that speed; if you bump the idle to 900 it charges fine at idle. My car doesn't sit and idle much so I keep my rpm lower because I like the sound better that way LOL.....:beer:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tom. Looks like you schooled them a bit on our cars.

I just stopped by a garage and they tested the battery and alternator. The alternator is only producing 12.8v at idle (950rpm) and about 13v at 2000rpm. Damn POS is less than 6 months old. Oh well, calling PA Performance right now.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So far so good with PA Performance. Although down to minimum manning this week and closed all next week, Kevin is building one, powder coating it, and putting it in the mail...all today. Can't ask for more than that. The important thing is for it to be in the mail today so I can get it in a couple of weeks. Kudos to PA Performance for their customer service.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back