Code 0340, with a new PA alternator!

Black Tooth Grin

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, guys I think I may have it figured out.... However it may qualify for the black tooth grin thread.

You introduced beer in to the equasion and it was instrumental in the discovery and repair process. How can I fault you for that?

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Well everyone hold on..... the SOB is back. First thing this morning upon startup, 0340 code is back.

I'm gonna buy a new sensor and see what happens.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well everyone hold on..... the SOB is back. First thing this morning upon startup, 0340 code is back.

I'm gonna buy a new sensor and see what happens.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy more BEER

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
For anyone following this thread- does anyone know which camshaft sensor "A" is? As in driver's or passenger side?

I am assuming passenger side......?? Thanks.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
New sensor ordered, will be here tomorrow. Looks like they're both interchangable..... also, "A" is indeed the passenger side so I'll start there first.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
New sensor ordered, will be here tomorrow. Looks like they're both interchangable..... also, "A" is indeed the passenger side so I'll start there first.

can you just swap them side/side and see if the code moves? May be nice to know it.

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
When I fried my alternator a couple of months back I was going to install a PA. In discussions with PA and my shop it was determined that our PCM will not support the PA 200 amp alternator. Back on the OEM 130 now and only pulling 86 at peak load.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
When I fried my alternator a couple of months back I was going to install a PA. In discussions with PA and my shop it was determined that our PCM will not support the PA 200 amp alternator. Back on the OEM 130 now and only pulling 86 at peak load.
That's strange... I think dustindu4 has been running one for a year or so.

p.s. I haven't seen you around here lately, Mark. Wassup?

stlwagon

forum member
Reaction score
That's strange... I think dustindu4 has been running one for a year or so.

p.s. I haven't seen you around here lately, Mark. Wassup?
Been working a crazy schedule plus the admin work at AFM. Figured I'd pop in for awhile. Was also told the Powermaster won't work. Something about the OEM alternator being a stepped device (??) In any event, I'm pulling a max of 86 amps under a full load (including the water pump), so 130 is more than enough to me

Last edited:

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
can you just swap them side/side and see if the code moves? May be nice to know it.

Actually that's what I did last night (haven't been able to log on here all day.....??). Oddly enough, after I swapped them and drove around last night, plus the usual drive to work & around town after work, I've gotten no codes at all.

My new sensor is in at the dealer but I haven't picked it up yet.... I want to see if the code stays away now with the originals swapped or if it comes back. Thanks for the input!

Was also told the Powermaster won't work. Something about the OEM alternator being a stepped device (??) In any event, I'm pulling a max of 86 amps under a full load (including the water pump), so 130 is more than enough to me

That's strange, I talked to a guy at PA for several minutes about this application and he made no mention of problems...... ??

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cool Tom... :)

I run the pro racer package and there is a lot of setting in the software for the alternator system.

Mark, anything I should review about the step-up thing? Nice to see you drop by :)

My Pa200 is fine as can be.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Well, quick update for anyone interested......

Been two days, and still no codes. This is after simply swapping the pass side sensor with the driver side sensor. This is the longest I've gone with no codes in probably a month..... I'm guessing that my problem is "fixed" at this point- although I don't know what the hell I did to fix it really.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that my problem is "fixed" at this point- although I don't know what the hell I did to fix it really.
Sounds like a loose connector and/or you were still having crosstalk with another wire and moving things around put enough distance between the sensor wire and whatever was inducing current on that wire...

p.s. one thing that can cause more cross talk in a system is a poor ground. So, I'd check the connection to the pass side engine mount and to the rear driver's side cylinder head...

Last edited:

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose connector and/or you were still having crosstalk with another wire and moving things around put enough distance between the sensor wire and whatever was inducing current on that wire...

p.s. one thing that can cause more cross talk in a system is a poor ground. So, I'd check the connection to the pass side engine mount and to the rear driver's side cylinder head...

Thanks, I've had the passenger side ground wire off before while installing headers and motor mounts- I'll recheck that just to be sure.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Update: my PA200 stopped charging today, leaving me stranded about 75 miles from home. Thankfully I was given a factory loaner by Brenspeed so I could atleast get the car home without a huge tow bill.

Anyone else have a problem with their PA unit?????

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm good :thumb:

Sure sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope it's something simple and cheap.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Got a call from PA today..... they said the unit was spun way too fast, and ripped some things apart internally. They are insinuating that I abused it somehow by running excessive rpm........?? WTF is that about, the car has the stock crank pulley and I'm using the pulley that came on the PA unit, we don't take the car over 6500rpm and rev limiter is set at 6700rpm I believe. In talking to the guy, he was not sure what make/model of car that I ordered it for, what the max rpm would be, etc. Just got the feeling that they are not wanting to offer the warranty repair for a 6 month old unit. He said he would "talk to the owner" and call me back tomorrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back