Coil packs & temp plugs

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I’d like to replace the 180k coil packs and need to get some cheap spark plugs to start tuning with. Figure the stock Motorcraft DG511 coil packs will be plenty….but dunno? And what’s a cheap spark plug I can use…if those exist anymore. 1st pic is MAS coils & Motorcraft plugs…dunno anything about MAS! Can get Motorcraft coils for $110 but then I’m looking at around $50 for temp plugs unless I can find cheaper. Looking for options…

9FD56B09-A134-4CFF-A761-CD70F02F3F9F.png

1683D1E8-5589-422D-A06C-FC4E9ED1C6E8.png

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
+1... Use the Motorcraft coils!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've replaced my coils with Accel coil packs. No rhyme or reason, they are yellow. I think I got them at the same time I tried their spark plugs. Didn't even know they made plugs for our cars but I found them when I searched for a colder temp plug. If I remember the price was quite a bit less than the Brisk plugs I usually run but they are also copper core as opposed to silver or iridium.

I know, engine bay needs to be tidied up a bit. She's been getting neglected.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Yeah this is frustrating!! It’s hard to tell what’s legit. The coil packs are interchangeable so a lot of the descriptions are like “copy/pasted” from other ads. I can read thru all that to make sure I’m getting what I need but how to tell if they’re true Motorcraft??? Prices vary all over the internet too so I don’t have a baseline

Reaction score
Im confused on why you need temp plugs, but here is my input...
Buy oem coils only, trust been there, have a set of msd street fires in my storage now, and car did not like them whatsoever. Have no idea why but our 3 valves only love oem coils, and there is 0 reason to upgrade besides looks

As for the plugs...
Oem plugs will do just fine, but to be honest just go with brisk one piece plugs right away and save yourself a lot of headache in future, they are not the cheapest but trust me it is better then redrilling your threads after

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Im confused on why you need temp plugs, but here is my input...
Buy oem coils only, trust been there, have a set of msd street fires in my storage now, and car did not like them whatsoever. Have no idea why but our 3 valves only love oem coils, and there is 0 reason to upgrade besides looks

As for the plugs...
Oem plugs will do just fine, but to be honest just go with brisk one piece plugs right away and save yourself a lot of headache in future, they are not the cheapest but trust me it is better then redrilling your threads after
One of the other forum members has Lito tuning their car and Lito recommended to them that they start off tuning with some old plugs. Makes sense to me I guess, I can see the plugs taking a beating trying to get the a/f lined out in the beginning. I have a new set of Brisk waiting to be installed just trying to keep the 1st stages of tuning off them

luisvts

Reaction score
2 months ago ordered through rockauto all coil packs and sparkplugs, all oem, no replicas or knockoff, also best price, just search for a coupon code before purchase, theyll give you 5% off

Reaction score
One of the other forum members has Lito tuning their car and Lito recommended to them that they start off tuning with some old plugs. Makes sense to me I guess, I can see the plugs taking a beating trying to get the a/f lined out in the beginning. I have a new set of Brisk waiting to be installed just trying to keep the 1st stages of tuning off them

My car is tuned by Lito, i had brisk plugs from day one of the tune

GriffX

Reaction score
You can measure the resistance in the secondary circuit and decide if they got weak. Should be in the 4kOhm + range (when I remember correctly)
And no fine cracks in the housing.

Back