Cold air intake with/without tune?

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Hey one of my next mods needs to be a CAI. Since I can only really afford one mod at a time I was wondering...

I know there is CAI that doesn't require a tune like the K&N. And I know there are CAI that do require a tune like the Airaid. Can they both be used with/without a tune? I know you won't benefit completely without a tune.

For example... can I get the Airaid and install without a tune for now for little gains and tune later for maximum gains.

Same thing with the K&N that doesn't require a tune. Can I install now for little gains but when I get a tune will I be able to tune for bigger gains? Or do the "no tune required" CAIs just not benefit at all from a tune.

Thanks

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
moved...

please search.... :deadhorse:

save your $ and get CAI/tune together

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
CIA eh?
How about a FBI intake or a NHS intake?

2000px-Seal_of_the_Central_Intelligence_Agency.svg.png

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Holy shitballs Wes. Can you make that graphic a leetle bit bigger? Lol!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
First image I found at the Google internet machine. I'll resize when I get home

allworknoplay

New to the streets
Reaction score
Do you need an intake ASAP? Wait till you have the money and then buy it. or hell look over the forums and pick up a used tuner and intake. You can save a lot of money if you take your time and wait for deals.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I don't know if your car is a Coyote or 4.6 base, but if you're a Coyote Stang owner and you're not at supercharged hp levels, a CAI seems to do next to nothing. A tune on the other hand.......

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if your car is a Coyote or 4.6 base, but if you're a Coyote Stang owner and you're not at supercharged hp levels, a CAI seems to do next to nothing. A tune on the other hand.......

I got a 4.6

07 Boss

Reaction score
You can't change the size of the MAF housing without changing your tune. The car will not run right. With that said you will gain nothing without changing the MAF housing to a larger one. So any CAI that doesn't need a tune is simply for looks and will have zero performance gains.

If you are buying one part at a time buy a CAI and wait until you buy a tuner to put it on. Or you can get an Airaid/Roush CAI and run it with the venturi tube in and it will run as a stock intake would. Then when you get your tuner you can remove the venturi and increase the intake tube to 101 mm.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
You can't change the size of the MAF housing without changing your tune. The car will not run right. With that said you will gain nothing without changing the MAF housing to a larger one. So any CAI that doesn't need a tune is simply for looks and will have zero performance gains.

If you are buying one part at a time buy a CAI and wait until you buy a tuner to put it on. Or you can get an Airaid/Roush CAI and run it with the venturi tube in and it will run as a stock intake would. Then when you get your tuner you can remove the venturi and increase the intake tube to 101 mm.

I see. That makes sense now.

Back