Concerned...need opinions

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
While doing the Diff cover swap to FRPP today all looked good accept this one mild chip and felt like the magnet got the pieces after rubbing my fingers from the little bit stuck to the mag. style plug.
Here is couple pic's. What is some of your opinions? Car only has 16,000 miles.

Last edited:

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
It has been my experience... That one chip here or there is not a big deal. And one of the reasons a magnet or magnets are there. As long as the wear looks clean and even, you should be good to go.

When the magnet does not catch the little chips, normally I see seal or bearing issues far more than I do the pinion are carrier having issues.

Just my personal $.02

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
If there aren't any cracks further down the tooth i don't think it will hurt anything. The pinion doesn't ride that far up on the tooth so it shouldn't effect wear either.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
My thought would be that when the 3:73 gears were installed that edge/corner might have been banged slightly before or during install. Once everything was in place the loose piece vibrated off. The positioning of it will cause no issues.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My stock gears had a chip off the corner of one of the pinion gears. I was pretty surprised to see it on such a new car. It didn't seem to cause any problems and the loss of contact was minimal.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what brand gears did you use?

OEM 3.73

Just saw this man. Yeah, I was talking to some of my customers and they said it's nothing and very common. One said if you pulled a 100 covers and upon close inspection it would reflect tiny chips like this in more than half. I don't know, but I am convinced it's no Alarm with the spot and size,.

I am more concerned with why no grip and have done a fair amount of mod's to suspension. It's the tires. I know it's not just gonna hook but I spin more than I did on stock 19" Perilli for sure. So, for now my cure or try at it is......

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 14

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back