Cone 502 Racing #23 STU 2009 Mustang GT

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
_IGP1521.JPG

I figured I would go a head and make a new thread for this that better reflects the direction the car is going and updated classing. Many of you here are familiar with my rather lack luster performance in STX, so expect more "interesting" yet equally lack luster performance this year! :D Just kidding, I really hope to do much better with the car with some added grip on the car and a better sorted car. I also launched a new blog, which for the first 3 posts will have excerpts from it placed in here and then a link. Given the "format" of this forum and the word count limit, it makes this much easier. I fully plan on doing the whole posts for event reports since that is what you all actually "care" about anyway! :D Without further ado:

STU Mustang Project Refresher

Here is what the car has currently done to it. If it isn't on the list, it hasn't been changed from stock.
FRONT SUSPENSION:
-Ground Control Track/School valved Koni SA Coilover Strut
-Ground Control Street Camber Plates
-550lbs/in Eibach 8" coilover springs
-Moog Front RK Lower Control arms with RK factory height ball joints
-Energy Front LCA Bushings
-Strano Performance Parts (Hellwigg) 35mm Front Swaybar

REAR SUSPENSION:
-Ground Control Track/School valved Koni SA shocks
-Ground Control weight jacker spring perches
-275lbs/in Eibach 8" coilover springs
-Fays2 Watts Linkage (changing soon to BMR)
-BMR TCA022 lower control arms
-BMR CAB005 lower control arm relocation brackets
-Cortex Racing Torque Arm
-FRPP Boss 302 Finned Differential Cover

DRIVETRAIN/POWER:
-JLT Generation 3 CAI
-SCT X4 tuner with Hypermotive Performance 91 Octane Tune
-Ford Racing 3.55 rear gears and install kit
-Torsen T2R rear differential
-Roush Extreme Catback exhaust
-Redline 75W90 NS gear oil
-Penzoil Syncromesh Manual Transmission Fluid

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES/ALIGNMENT:
-Carbotech 1521 Bobcat pads
-Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines
-Valvoline DOT3/DOT4 Brake Fluid
-18x10 SVE Drifts in Dark Stainless
-Hankook RS3V2 285/35/18 tires
- -3.0º Camber, 0 Toe, +7.8º Caster

Read the rest here!

IMGP0966.jpg

More Season prep!
Carbotech 1521's replaced the factory pads and Centric 120 series rotors replaced the factory rotors. This is a relatively simple process to do but it is time consuming. After some 2.5hrs of fiddling with the brakes, they were installed. Bedding these new pads in to the new rotors was relatively straight forward too. Carbotech recommends a series of stops from 60 down to about 25. A short break and then another series of stops. I did 5 stops, a 5 minute cool down and 5 more stops. That produced a very nice transfer layer on the new rotors. Not that I took photos of that because that would make sense!

_IGP1452.jpg

As for the pads themselves? Well, I'm a bit underwhelmed by them but they are so new I'm not sure I can really pass judgement quite yet. What I'm noticing is that initial bite is about the same as the factory pads. The pedal effort, IE: How much pedal needed before ABS engagement, has increased. It takes A LOT of stepping on the brake to get the ABS to engage, even with snow tires. I'm curious to see how that works out when there is some serious rubber under the car. On that note, I suspect a lot to blame in the factory lines and fluid still in the car... if nothing else they don't help at all and are on that "shortlist" to replace.

Read the rest here!

MOAR Season Prep!

It also isn't a color you see used on the S197 very frequently. In fact I struggled to find photos of these wheels before purchasing them. I bought them more on a whim. Sure there are "gunmetals" out there which are more gray than silver that look good too. It really is just hard to describe these wheels accurately and I really like it! In the brief days I had them on the car to get the mold release off the tires the number of complements, thumb ups and looks increased quite heavily. Which is great in my opinion! Let them look! I do feel like the car might need to be lowered slightly to take some of the wheel gap away. It doesn't look too bad at the moment but these 25.9" tall tires really do add wheel gap where the taller 245/45/18 ZI Star Specs I have on my stock wheels fill the wheel wells better.

_IGP1515.JPG

Of course those "meats" also added almost an inch of tire width to the ground which should really help this car scoot around corners. Initial driving impressions are really odd. The RS3V2 has less steering precision than the narrower 265/40/18 RS3V1's I used the previous two years. They are incredibly numb on center and you can really feel the sidewalls moving around. Tire pressure is at 32 PSI for each corner so that may have to go up to compensate for that some. There is a slight, and I do mean slight, rub at full lock with these wheels and tires. I'm half tempted to buy a 5mm spacer for up front to cure this and bring the front wheels out to a more "flush" look. Then my car would be stanced yo!
So as many of you guys know, Kelly Aiken at BMR Suspension was supposed to be getting me one of their new chassis mounted watts linkages to test against the Fays2 unit currently on the car. Their unit has undergone some design changes and Kelly assures me this latest revision to the frame is the production spec unit. That should mean that I will have the BMR Chassis Mount before the first season's autocross on April 11th and 12th.

Read the rest here!

If you are slightly narcissistic and want to get more "live" updates, you can like Cone 502 Racing on Facebook or follow the blog. Here is a link to the Facebook page: Linky!

That gets everything up to date thus far! First event is April 11th/12th with a Test'n'Tune and Points event at LAP-N. Expect an update then! And as always, questions, comments, concerns, gripes, bitches, or complaints, post them up! :)

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you are swapping out the Fays2 Watts? Just curious if you had issues with it, may be my next purchase.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you are swapping out the Fays2 Watts? Just curious if you had issues with it, may be my next purchase.

Not really. Kelly gave me a price I couldn't turn down and there are a few benefits... additional RC height adjustment, possible reduction in weight (unconfirmed, slight possibility), and a reduction in NVH through a better design of the axle mounting points that don't require "clocking" of the rod ends.

Mostly though, Kelly gave me a price I couldn't argue with and I'm a sucker for testing stuff out! :p

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I volenteer to be a BMR watts link tester for DD :D

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I volenteer to be a BMR watts link tester for DD :D

You'll have to bug Kelly for the better part of what seemed like the better half of a decade to get him to even consider it! :p

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Why'd you go with the 1521's vs the ax6? I was under the assumption the car isn't a daily driver.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Why'd you go with the 1521's vs the ax6? I was under the assumption the car isn't a daily driver.

I went with the 1521s because the car is a daily driver and I thought, wrongly apparently, that they would be slightly more aggressive than factory. Maybe they are and I just need to actually autocross on them to get a good feel. I may enjoy the added modulation provided by the pads. If not, in go the AX6 pads I would order.

FWIW this is my only vehicle. 56k miles! ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
That gets everything up to date thus far! First event is April 11th/12th with a Test'n'Tune and Points event at LAP-N. Expect an update then! And as always, questions, comments, concerns, gripes, bitches, or complaints, post them up! :)
On steering response - do I hear a little (psst . . . Forgestar 18 x 11) whisper in the background?

If the 1521's are about the same as HPS, I wouldn't choose them for anything beyond pure street use either, and I'm not even sure about that. Fortunately, at least some of Carbotech's more serious pads don't seem to have any serious downsides in street duty. XP8's and even XP10's have shown decent cold bite at ambient temperatures below 30°F.

Norm

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Stoptech pads are a good budget option for a daily driven car. They don't have near as much bite as my current Hawk HP+ but they are MUCH cheaper

Whiskey11

Reaction score
On steering response - do I hear a little (psst . . . Forgestar 18 x 11) whisper in the background?

If the 1521's are about the same as HPS, I wouldn't choose them for anything beyond pure street use either, and I'm not even sure about that. Fortunately, at least some of Carbotech's more serious pads don't seem to have any serious downsides in street duty. XP8's and even XP10's have shown decent cold bite at ambient temperatures below 30°F.

Norm

Yeaaah, don't think 18x11's are happening any time soon. Maybe next year, we'll see. It is quite possible this car could end up in CAM-C where an 18x11 is a little more versatile for tire selection or ESP. Either way the 18x11 will better support the 315's that the car would be getting.

Interestingly enough, the tire width to wheel width ratio of the 285's is less than that of the 265's I ran in STX. I suspect the majority of the steering vagueness has more to do with tire compound than it does with fitment and it is also possible that the road conditions (still graveled from winter) exacerbated the issue. It sounded like a street sweeper going down the road with how much rock they were picking up and flinging around! :)

I may yet get the AX6 and use it for street duty. April 11th and 12th isn't that far away and I'll make my decision then. If the 1521's don't woo me enough, I may have a set of 1521's for sale! ;)

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the 1521s because the car is a daily driver and I thought, wrongly apparently, that they would be slightly more aggressive than factory. Maybe they are and I just need to actually autocross on them to get a good feel. I may enjoy the added modulation provided by the pads. If not, in go the AX6 pads I would order.

FWIW this is my only vehicle. 56k miles! ;)

The 1521's don't have the initial bite I prefer either. But they are fairly quiet and very linear. You'll really have to jam the brake pedal down to get a good bite out of them. For daily use they're awesome. As far as competition use I'm already trying to decide if I want ax6 or xp10's for the front.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Are you coming to college station?

Unfortunately I wont be able to attend any other National Tour stops aside from Spring Nationals and Nationals. Only have two weeks of Vacation and most of it was burned for those two events and the various regional events we hold each season.

There is a possibility that in the not too distant future I may be able to add other tour stops to the list though!

The 1521's don't have the initial bite I prefer either. But they are fairly quiet and very linear. You'll really have to jam the brake pedal down to get a good bite out of them. For daily use they're awesome. As far as competition use I'm already trying to decide if I want ax6 or xp10's for the front.

I've driven an Evo IX SE with the XP10's up front and aside from the noise, the low temperature performance of the pad was pretty decent. Personally, the noise was too much for me and I'm pretty tolerant of NVH. I get the distinct impression I will end up on AX6's before Nationals.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah...honestly, every single Carbotech pad I've used on my car (XP20, XP16, XP12, XP10, AX6) has been good at autocross. The XP's need to be dragged, but that's about it.

For my money, the only real change is the linearity of the pad, with AX6 being most linear, and XP20 being the least. Meaning- with the XP20, it requires less pressure to get them to be "fully biting" if you will.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
Just put on AX6 on my non Brembo car after dealing with shit brakes for the last time....I can put someone through the windshield now. There are only a handful of mods that Ive done that instantly made me ask "Why the F*** didn't I do this sooner*

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Just put on AX6 on my non Brembo car after dealing with shit brakes for the last time....I can put someone through the windshield now. There are only a handful of mods that Ive done that instantly made me ask "Why the F*** didn't I do this sooner*

SEATS. By far my #1 in that category. But yeah good pads is way up there too.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
SEATS. By far my #1 in that category. But yeah good pads is way up there too.

I'm hoping seats will fit in either at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. We'll see how the tires last this season before making that decision. I'm more excited for the nearly 60lbs they'll drop from the car going from heated, powered leather seats to manual seats at around 25lbs each! ;)

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping seats will fit in either at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. We'll see how the tires last this season before making that decision. I'm more excited for the nearly 60lbs they'll drop from the car going from heated, powered leather seats to manual seats at around 25lbs each! ;)

Make room for me because I'm in the same boat. After I get back from my honeymoon I'm going to try my hand at ESP. Here locally I should be able to stack up some of the cool little cone trophies. Unless Csamsh decides to come down and school me. Lol.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Make room for me because I'm in the same boat. After I get back from my honeymoon I'm going to try my hand at ESP. Here locally I should be able to stack up some of the cool little cone trophies. Unless Csamsh decides to come down and school me. Lol.

Come play in STU! The water is warm (I didn't pee in it I swear! :p) and street tires are a different kind of fun that doesn't rape your wallet with maintenance and tire costs! :)

Also we don't bite.... hard.

Also... we have cookies... or so I'm told! :highfive:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back