Cons of nitrous on 4.0

Randy

forum member
Reaction score
I have read that the stock CR and pistons don't like juice. Is there a safe number? Id like to get a baby bottle for a little more added fun at the track. But I don't want to hurt her.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
100 even a 125 would be no problem. I have to customers running 100 on the 4.0 and one or 2 on 125 no problem. If you want to stay on the safer side 100 would be no problem at all with proper tuning and plugs.

The 4.0 has a pretty strong bottom end.

Randy

forum member
Reaction score
100 even a 125 would be no problem. I have to customers running 100 on the 4.0 and one or 2 on 125 no problem. If you want to stay on the safer side 100 would be no problem at all with proper tuning and plugs.

The 4.0 has a pretty strong bottom end.

And both are with stock pistons and rods?

JimC

Reaction score
I ran a 75 shot for two years on my 2006 - no problems at all, stock top and bottom. Pulled all of the nitrous at 90,000 miles (and lots of 1/4 mile passes) and put the Xcharger on the car. It was still making 12 second passes when I sold it with 203,000 miles on it in June.

Randy

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the personal experience. Which kit would you guys recommend? I was looking at the kit for the 05-10 4.0 on AM. I think it's Zex.

Also which plugs would you recommend?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Lol. Try nitrous. Have fun for a few months. Want more. Go F/I. big smiles. Want more. Drop in a V8. Bigger smiles. More money. More gas. More fun. Add F/I. Holy cow! Now what?

Randy

forum member
Reaction score
Lol! I think we share something in common Matt :)

JimC

Reaction score
The Zex kit is what I had and it worked great.

Get a window switch though with it. Although Zex says that the system will learn WOT I found that it isn't all that great. I had it armed lining up one night, pre-staged and brought the rpm's up to stage. At 1800 rpm it read me at WOT and fired off. After that I put the window switch in so that it wouldn't hit until the car got up to at least 2,300. You don't want it spraying too early.

Also get a heater. That will keep the pressure up in the bottle during a day of racing as the bottle uses up some of the nitrous.

Like Mike said, I got tired of filling the bottle every trip to the track. And in early spring and late fall it was tough to find anyone filling bottles around here. And I always knew that I would change to the Xcharger and get that scream eventually. Miss it on the new car, but by this time next year the 2013 will have a turbo instead.

Last edited:

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
Get some Juice Randy go with the 100 shot you'll be just fine! +1 on the Window switch and always keep the pressure good, if you maintain the simple items such as Colder Spark plugs, Super Unleaded Gas, and a Good tune your set to go. You won't feel much of a kick with a 50 or 75 but it's up to you. So far going on 80,000 miles I would spray this bad boy pretty much every day so far so good everything is holding up LOL as far as the Kit I have no problems with the Zex kit, keep in mind if your looking at the one from AM the GT kit (which is cheaper) is exactly the same other than the jets just get different instructions

Last edited:

10851stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have read that the stock CR and pistons don't like juice. Is there a safe number? Id like to get a baby bottle for a little more added fun at the track. But I don't want to hurt her.

I ran a 130 shot for over a year no problem. Made 323hp and 418 tq to the wheels and was running 12.5s. I loved it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back