coolant loss

mort

Reaction score
any of you guys had an intermittant coolant losss from the expansion bottle cap? replaced the thermostat(sticking closed) now its dumping coolant from the cap,:wtf1: not every time I drive,did a 600 mile dash with no probs,but spat it out within 100yds next time i took it out about an hour later,not alot just enuff to drop the level below the bottle,topped it up and its been ok so far,but I know its going to happen again,usualy when I'm in a crowd:sigh1:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
You mention that you topped the expansion tank off. Are you filling up the tank to the to top or to the "cold fill" line? If you're topping it off instead of only filling it to the "cold fill" line, when the car warms up and coolant flows into the tank you will spew it all over the road.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like overfilling; you cannot 'top it off', as it needs room to expand when heated.
Otherwise, the cap could be bad, not holding enough pressure.

mort

Reaction score
yep only going to the lower of the cold fill lines,it seems to settle just below the 'bridge'type molding inside the bottle after its blown,i've tried a new cap rated at 16psi but no change,thinking about running it a tad low to see what happens,takin the igniters out today and cranking it over as its been stood for a few days,hopefuly no water will come out.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
yep only going to the lower of the cold fill lines,it seems to settle just below the 'bridge'type molding inside the bottle after its blown,i've tried a new cap rated at 16psi but no change,thinking about running it a tad low to see what happens,takin the igniters out today and cranking it over as its been stood for a few days,hopefuly no water will come out.

we've had a couple come in the shop with bad tanks. The top gets distorted somehow and the cap won't seal.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back