Cost to install gears

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
Getting a CAI/tuner, but this thing definitely needs more off-the-line kick. Based on calculations it looks like 4.10's would improve driveability while keeping rpm's around 2250@65 in 5th (manual, 27" tire).

How much should I expect to pay for labor to have rear gears installed? Would you supply gears only, or the kit?

Also, can anyone recommend a reputable installer in/near Eastern CT? I don't want to have to drive too far if it's not necessary... Thx!

~Dave

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Prices vary a lot based on area and if an independent shop or dealer does the work. A dealer will be your highest price they work on a " Flat Rate" If you can find an independent shop, but check there track record for work performed for others i always shop my parts and look for the best deal usualy you can get parts cheaper than a shop or dealer. Prices with gears supplied can be any where from $400 to $1000. Do some shop research first.

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be picking up the Ford Racing 4.10 kit. A friend suggested J&M Motorsports in Manchester, actually talked FI with them at an event a couple weeks ago and they seem to be reputable. Another is Ted Janetty in Waterbury, but that's a little far from here. If anyone has experience with them I'd love to hear about it.

~Dave

1camwonder

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and find a shop that has experience with the install. I searched around for over a month before I settled on a shop. Make some phone calls, drop in, or get feedback from others who have had gears installed there. Try and find somebody familiar with Mustangs too. You don't want to be the guinea pig for somebody that "should" be able to do it.

I got quotes ranging from $250-$700 just for labor alone (I supplied all the gears, fluid and install kit) Any speedshop could simply throw the gears in and send it out the door. If you drive your car daily you are going to want the gears installed correctly. In the end I ended up paying $300 for the install if I remember correctly. Hope this helps

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4x4 shops can be a good place to have gears installed. Some will also have the axle bars to check axle for true.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
come on now....

search_it_noob.gif

5e34def3.jpg

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
come on now....

I know, I know, LOL... But nothing showed up for shops in CT unless I wanted to make a 2-hour-plus round trip, which is pretty tough but not impossible with my schedule. It may be what has to be done in order to get the job done right, however.

Thanks for the input everyone!

~Dave

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard of good things about J&M in Manchester but no personal experience. I've seen some work and invoices come out of Ted Jannety's shop and he rips people off. He'll charge more than a dealer.

What town in CT do you live?

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
I live in Storrs, and am partial to Eastern CT but will travel a reasonable distance, say 30 minutes or so.

I forgot about Terry's just 4 miles up the street in Ashford; he did trannies and gears/posi swaps in a couple of my older cars years ago and did a very good job each time, but customer service seems to vary according to his workload. A friend recommended Rod at Nor'Eastern in Cromwell; he raced Fords and supposedly still does a bunch of these. He's leery of using customer-supplied parts though, but I'll see him at the car show/swap meet in Berlin this Sunday and talk to him in person. J&M is supposed to be there too.

From calling around it looks like $550-600 is the going rate with me supplying the gears.

I'm in no real hurry in any case. Waiting on a CAI/tuner first. The tune should improve throttle response, and I want to get the feel for performance before moving on to the next mod, so one thing at a time. I'd even consider not doing the gears at all and saving up for FI instead... :)

Last edited:

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Getting a CAI/tuner, but this thing definitely needs more off-the-line kick. Based on calculations it looks like 4.10's would improve driveability while keeping rpm's around 2250@65 in 5th (manual, 27" tire).

How much should I expect to pay for labor to have rear gears installed? Would you supply gears only, or the kit?

Also, can anyone recommend a reputable installer in/near Eastern CT? I don't want to have to drive too far if it's not necessary... Thx!

~Dave

Ive had quotes from $270 up to $550. I bought the gears on sale from tasca. Why not buy your own parts and save some $. Ford racing gears, royal purple maxgear/ friction additive, gt500 pinion. I believe that may be all, add em up and labor guesstimate.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1, get the FRPP full kit with gears, install kit, and fluids. latemodelrestoration or americanmuscle sells everything you need in a combination package, with the gt500 pinion bearing, for $280 shipped. I just installed one of these about a month ago for someone.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
When I needed mine done I talked to several guys at the track and asked who they recommended. I think I spoke to three people, including my neighbor who generally is the points champ, and they recommended one shop. His gear install was silent and he charged $300 for labor.

SKIDONKEY

Reaction score
I paid 750 for my 4.10's in my 3v. That was WITHOUT me supplying anything. Dropped it off, they did gears and everything and all new fluid. MPE racing in Taunton did install. You will not regret 4.10s

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Paid $450 first time, $500 second time, and last week paid $1050 for front and rear axles with new diffs/4.56 gears (ARB Airlockers) in my jeep. ~$500 including labor, gears, seals, bearings,etc seems to be the going rate around here.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Figure around 500-650. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 hours labor is a general rate that a shop would give for a proper gear install.

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone. I know the pros/cons of lower gears have been beaten to death around here over the years. I've been hesitant to make such a big jump in gear ratio wondering if it would be too drastic a change, but I eventually talked myself into going with 4.10 for several reasons:

1. This 3v wants to rev to make any power, so with 4.10 it's never far from the powerband;
  2. I'm not prepared to dump several grand into this right away, so FI is still a long ways off;
  3. Based on calculations, the TR3650/4.10 OD cruise RPMs are practically dead even with the 5R55/3.73;
  4. From what I've read the average drop in MPG is negligible, about 1% or so;
  5. No need to downshift to pass on the freeway, just stuff it and go! :)

The increase in cruising/shifting RPM is something I'll have to live with for a while to really get a feel for it on a daily basis. With the 3.38 first gear, I figure there's plenty of torque to just ease out in 2nd unless I desire to go sideways.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone. I know the pros/cons of lower gears have been beaten to death around here over the years. I've been hesitant to make such a big jump in gear ratio wondering if it would be too drastic a change, but I eventually talked myself into going with 4.10 for several reasons:

1. This 3v wants to rev to make any power, so with 4.10 it's never far from the powerband;
  2. I'm not prepared to dump several grand into this right away, so FI is still a long ways off;
  3. Based on calculations, the TR3650/4.10 OD cruise RPMs are practically dead even with the 5R55/3.73;
  4. From what I've read the average drop in MPG is negligible, about 1% or so;
  5. No need to downshift to pass on the freeway, just stuff it and go! :)

The increase in cruising/shifting RPM is something I'll have to live with for a while to really get a feel for it on a daily basis. With the 3.38 first gear, I figure there's plenty of torque to just ease out in 2nd unless I desire to go sideways.

I had 4.10's with my tr3650, it was a blast! I believe I was right at 3g @ 80mph. That was my only complaint. I wish you were closer to us (Gloucester City, NJ), we would install your gears CHEAP!

Jet45

Stang Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and sound advice. After assessing my long-term goals for this pony, boosting may be in my future, so I decided to wait on the gears. In the meantime I'll just add a little bling while saving up the cash for an SC.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back