Cranks but won’t start

Isaiah557

Reaction score
I have a 2009 mustang GT 5 speed. Just recently my engine light came on to change the CPS in bank 2 which I did, light was still on after so I went deeper and replaced the VVT solenoid. While doing so I also disconnected my battery to swap out my SJB, after all was done I put everything back together and reconnected the battery to start her up. Well now she won't start. All fuses are good I changed out the spark plugs as well. Haven't done a fuel pressure test yet but I can hear the fuel pump turn on and also smell the fuel during the multiple attempts to start. Can't connect scanner because the codes were erased when I disconnected the battery. However she dose crank and it wants to start but right when it gets the first initial fires it dies. Also the anti-theft isn't on either. Any help/advice would be very appreciated.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 mustang GT 5 speed. Just recently my engine light came on to change the CPS in bank 2 which I did, light was still on after so I went deeper and replaced the VVT solenoid. While doing so I also disconnected my battery to swap out my SJB, after all was done I put everything back together and reconnected the battery to start her up. Well now she won't start. All fuses are good I changed out the spark plugs as well. Haven't done a fuel pressure test yet but I can hear the fuel pump turn on and also smell the fuel during the multiple attempts to start. Can't connect scanner because the codes were erased when I disconnected the battery. However she dose crank and it wants to start but right when it gets the first initial fires it dies. Also the anti-theft isn't on either. Any help/advice would be very appreciated.
SJB replacement requires programming.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Try pushing the pedal all the way to the floor before you turn the key to start. Then crank the engine for a second and then let off the gas continuing to crank.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Tried it 3 times still nothing

Well it was a longshot but easy to try. I would go back step by step on what you did. Maybe swap back in the old SJB. Why did it get replaced in the first place? I'm wondering if the PATS is keeping it from starting but I would think that would prevent it from even turning over. Kinda at a loss here. Going back to basics it sounds like you have fuel and air so I would look at ignition. Check all your coil packs to make sure they are in connected properly. I have had to replace just about every connector for my cops over the years. Double check all your spark plugs for proper gap. I'm logic leads me toward the sensor and solenoid you recently replaced. Maybe try and start it with the MAF unhooked or try some starting fluid into the throttle body. Pretty much that's all I've got for you. Good luck.

Isaiah557

Reaction score
I hooked the car up to ForScan and programed the sjb under "AS BUILT" and the downloaded the as built data from motercraft services using the vin on my car. Now the car actually starts up faster meaning that it doesn't crank so long before it fires up like it use to, but however right when it fires up for like a half second it still dies. According to ForScan during the start up fuel pressure is good and injectors are working properly. Now I'm thinking maybe a timing issue. I wonder if it could have jumped and became to advanced or retarded and if that will cause it not to start and how likley is that to happen? The sjb I'm using is from a 2007 GT.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back