CRAZY LOUD EXHAUST

Reaction score
Thats another reason im putting my magnaflow cats back, the smell. It was fun at first but now its just annoying at every light with the windows down. Or in traffic ugh

lakeside

Reaction score
I'll
Zero issues with my JBA hi flow cats..which are ceramic. Also JBA LT's...+ small roush M90 blower, twin 62mm TB..and 94 tune.

They did some exhaustive tests in the old 5.0 mag, and the difference between hi flow cats...and no cats was essentially zero. 1-2 hp in favor of high flow cats at a narrow rpm range.... then 1-2 hp difference in favor of no cats at a different / narrow rpm range.

With the huge increase in volume with my exhaust setup, the increase was attributed to the high flow cats (or no cats) and not the LT's. FRS-500 mufflers were installed years before the LT's and hi flow cats install. The only fix was either replace the SS FRS-500 mufflers with oem muffler's.... or weld in a pair of SS pypes M80's.

High flow cats work cuz they are bigger diameter than oem.... more parallel paths. But everything gets louder too. The exhaust just reeks on any car I have seen with no cats.

I'll vouch for the exhaust smell, wicked bad fumes when I start my car in the garage.

lakeside

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't have said anything, I was going to see if I could find someone who had a KOOKS Catted LT mid section to trade for my Off-Road mid section

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats another reason im putting my magnaflow cats back, the smell. It was fun at first but now its just annoying at every light with the windows down. Or in traffic ugh

Yeah that's why my JBA offroad H is sitting back in the corner on my workbench. Tried it for a little while but the fumes were awful at traffic lights.

Also, on the muffler loudness thing? Mid mounted resonators cut the sound a surprising amount. I have an MBRP axle back that I ran both with and without the mid mounted Magnaflows I had (4" round x 14" long body I believe), with everything else being the same (JBA LT's & catted shorty H). Without the Magnaflows the MBRP's are LOUD. Sound good, but way loud. With the Magnaflows in place, the MBRP's are tame. In fact the short time I did have the MBRP's on with the Magnaflows my wife asked why my car was so quiet :gr_grin:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I'll vouch for the exhaust smell, wicked bad fumes when I start my car in the garage.

Yeah I told Lito I think the tune was way rich because the smell was like it was drowning in fuel. He said no that was pretty normal without cats. I don't waste any time getting my car out of the garage when I start it.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I told Lito I think the tune was way rich because the smell was like it was drowning in fuel. He said no that was pretty normal without cats. I don't waste any time getting my car out of the garage when I start it.
Do you have a A/F gauge ?

I have AHR hi flow cats and also smells rich but according to my gauge is right where it should be

Phil1098

Reaction score
Do you have a A/F gauge ?

I have AHR hi flow cats and also smells rich but according to my gauge is right where it should be

I don't, but he was right. It was more smell than anything, I mean there is no black smoke (real rich) or anything. I get clean plug readings and even my fuel economy (if you can say that about a modded Mustang) isn't much off of stock.

lakeside

Reaction score
I don't, but he was right. It was more smell than anything, I mean there is no black smoke (real rich) or anything. I get clean plug readings and even my fuel economy (if you can say that about a modded Mustang) isn't much off of stock.

Fuel Mileage??????? I can't watch my A/F gauge because my eyes are glued to gas gauge. Funny thing, when I'm driving it, I'm wishing it had a 30 gal tank. Then I have to fill it......................

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Saleen SC I experienced the trumpeting after installing pypes long tubes and an x pipe without cats. I had to install cats to eliminate the trumpeting. I couldn't stand to drive the car it was so bad.
I so much prefer the sound now than ever before.

Now i am having troubles passing the German inspection. Car is at 101.5 decibles and needs to be at 95.

I did realize that the quad exhaust has the two outside dumps are almost straight pipes and substantially louder than the center exhaust. I am going to have to plug up the outside pipes temporarily to pass the inspection.

Of note. The motor is not stock and has huge cams...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I had the elements inside my stock cats disenegrate into golfball-size chunks, clogging them, and causing crazy overboost, then limp mode. Was cruising on the freeway at night, dropped to third and floored it. Boost gauge went to 20psi (I’m tuned to 8.5psi!!!) then the CEL started flashing. I was lucky to notice right away and get out of it, even luckier I was close to home and limped to my driveway.

The fun started when I got it to the Ford the next day and tried to tell them the problem. I knew exactly what had happened from researching all night. “There is absolutely no way the cats are clogged”. The argued over and over. The look on the techs face when I finally convinced them to drop and check the cats was priceless. “DERP” is a massive understatement.

Got new cats under warranty, even after all their bullshit LOL. Those new cats/hpipe now sit in my garage

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate in asking them if they valued their customers like they used to back in the day. Problem is every time I would call in to ask questions about my tune, a certain person by the name of Doug would always talk down at me as though I was wasting his valuable time and couldn't wait to get off the phone line. Since then, I've been very hesitant when it comes to contacting Brenspeed about anything. At any rate, I don't care how good of a tuner Brenspeed happens to be, as none of that matters if they're unable to provide excellent customer service.

Edit: since this post was last submitted, I went ahead and placed an order for a new tune from JDM engineering. Needless to say, I should've made the switch long ago lol.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back