Critique my pass- 2011 5.0, 12.20 @ 116

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

2011 Mustang GT, MT-82, 3.31 gear

BBK CAI (it was on the car when I bought it)
UPR X-pipe
UPR 93 Octane Tune
Slammed on Koni Yellows with UPR/Eibach Pro Kit springs (it's pretty stiff)
275/40-18 Nitto NT05s (NON drag radial)

The DA last night in West Palm was 1221'

This car is my daily driver, and I am primarily interested in HPDEs with this one. I own a separate street/strip Stang, so this car will NOT get any drag suspension whatsoever. I just took it down the track to see what it would do. That 60-foot is clearly not ideal, but I refused to put drag radials on the car. I wanted to run it as it sits every day, complete with my kids' booster seats.

I know it's an easy 11-second car on sticky tires, but I thought it was cool to run 7s in 1/8th on NT05s. That trap speed seems on par with similarly modded 5.0s that I've seen. What do you guys think?

I'll tell you this- the drivetrain seems to whine a little louder today than it did before test n tune last night. My daughter even noticed the sound. Oops.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I feel the same. Every time I leave the strip I feel something is clunking or rattling more than before. how are you leaving of the line

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Solid. I think you know the answer to improving:

1. Better rear tires.
2. Anti-squat brackets.
3. If you can adjust the struts set to softest setting.

Personally I would put the stock airbox back on if you have it.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty damn good IMO, considering the Koni Yellows, even at the softest rebound setting, are horrible for weight transfer.

I agree about the AS Brackets.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
...the drivetrain seems to whine a little louder today than it did before test n tune last night...

lol, my '05 is the same way since I've been tracking it this year. Next time I do anything with the rear end I'm putting in a ratech solid pinion spacer and ditching the crush sleeve :naughty1:

Swine

forum member
Reaction score
That ET is def getting it done on a street tire man, very solid 60' for sure. Trap does seem to be on par for the mods, what rear end?

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
Pretty damn good IMO, considering the Koni Yellows, even at the softest rebound setting, are horrible for weight transfer.

Really? When I bought the koni yellows from bmr I was told they were good for drag racing. Hmm

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
the sixty foot leaves alot on the table. I've been 1.80 with stock pirelli's and stock tune with no mods except gt500 ab and control arms. With your tune and mods I would think it should be able to get into the 11's.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I feel the same. Every time I leave the strip I feel something is clunking or rattling more than before. how are you leaving of the line

Hahaha! I'm trying to ignore the whine. Just turn the radio up louder!! LOL! I'm still under drivetrain warranty for another year or two, so I'm hoping the rear end will behave until I'm ready to upgrade it.

My best pass of the night was leaving at 4000 RPMs and slipping the clutch. I didn't leave HARD, but it didn't nose over either. I believe I could have left at 5000 if I really finessed the clutch, but honestly, I think that may have been good for a 1.89, or MAYBE a 1.85, so still might not have gotten me an 11.99. I decided to leave well enough alone and live to fight another day. (the track is over 100 miles from my house)

This is the only video we recorded. This was a 3000 rpm leave and a BAD bog. But it's all I have.

Solid. I think you know the answer to improving:

1. Better rear tires.
2. Anti-squat brackets.
3. If you can adjust the struts set to softest setting.

Personally I would put the stock airbox back on if you have it.

Yep. #1 was super tempting since we brought a pair of 275/40-17 M/T DRs, a pair of 275/60-15 Radial Pros, and an electric impact to the track. (we brought three cars Wednesday night) But I really wanted to see what it would do in street trim. I'll probably install full exhaust and take it back for another test. I'd imagine that slight gain in hp will basically necessitate a switch to DRs to make the car usable.

#2 As much as it pains me to admit it, I agree. Our new LCA Relo brackets should be ready in a few weeks. I'm tentatively planning to pull the rear end and have it professionally pinned & welded. At that time I'll weld in our relo brackets, even though they are a true bolt in.

#3 The shocks were on full stiff and the struts were on full soft. The suspension did move a little, but nothing like a "Drag" setup would.

Stock Airbox- from talking to you online and over the phone, this has been on my mind a lot. Just this morning I found a stock airbox. Do you feel like I will NOT lose any performance if I remove the BBK CAI and install the stock airbox? Should I use a drop in K&N in the stock box, or an OEM filter?

See- YOU get it. How come the keyboard warriors on my facebook page don't get it? LOL! I was ECSTATIC to pull a 1.95 on stiff *** suspension and real street tires. And again, I'll wave the white flag. Relo brackets will happen soon. But just to level out the LCAs. I'm not going to try to dial in any crazy AS angles.

lol, my '05 is the same way since I've been tracking it this year. Next time I do anything with the rear end I'm putting in a ratech solid pinion spacer and ditching the crush sleeve :naughty1:

Funny you mention the crush sleeve. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the additional noise. I'm gonna be honest- I have the UCA & Mount sitting on the shelf in my garage waiting to be installed. The stock UCA & Mount are still in there and it was making godawful racket every time I powershifted. I think it was trying to eject the factory rubber bushings. That's nooooo bueno!

That ET is def getting it done on a street tire man, very solid 60' for sure. Trap does seem to be on par for the mods, what rear end?

Thanks man. (3.31 gear) I'm getting ready to submit it for the 4V NA ET list. Grimace is the only person ahead of me on the list who was running street tires, and he was only .01 quicker than me. UGH!! Wish I would've made ONE MORE PASS! LOL! That's my luck. ;) Oh well, gives me something to shoot for.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Really? When I bought the koni yellows from bmr I was told they were good for drag racing. Hmm

Honestly, the Konis wouldn't have been too bad if I wasn't slammed on Eibach springs. In my opinion, the Konis handle well without ruining the ride quality or destroying any hope for hooking in a straight line. I would recommend them for a majority of applications. (just not for all out drag or all out handling)

the sixty foot leaves alot on the table. I've been 1.80 with stock pirelli's and stock tune with no mods except gt500 ab and control arms. With your tune and mods I would think it should be able to get into the 11's.

Were you slammed on stiff suspension? This is UPR's Handling Package so it's low and stiff. I just took it to the drag strip because we hopped in the shop cars and headed to PBIR after work Wednesday. This car is definitely more at home in the corners, which is exactly how I like it!

Fwiw, your 1.80 on Pirellis is the quickest I've ever seen, and I'm on the message boards 4-6 hours every single day. The only thing I can think is that it must have been some of Jason Miller's magic track prep... Either way, kudos for an unreal 60-foot on pirellis.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock Airbox- from talking to you online and over the phone, this has been on my mind a lot. Just this morning I found a stock airbox. Do you feel like I will NOT lose any performance if I remove the BBK CAI and install the stock airbox? Should I use a drop in K&N in the stock box, or an OEM filter?

I can't speak for the BBK intake from a personal experience perspective but will say I am willing to bet you car will run as well if not better with the stock airbox.

I used a K&N with my stock airbox but I don't believe the OEM filter to be a restriction.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I can't speak for the BBK intake from a personal experience perspective but will say I am willing to bet you car will run as well if not better with the stock airbox.

I used a K&N with my stock airbox but I don't believe the OEM filter to be a restriction.

Thanks. I'm gonna try to get my hands on that stock airbox this weekend. I prefer the look of the stock airbox over the CAI I have now. (polished aluminum) I ordered a sound tube delete earlier this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to get this stuff going. I'll probably get this all ironed out just in time to remove it all and install a blower. Such is life.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Were you slammed on stiff suspension?

Fwiw, your 1.80 on Pirellis is the quickest I've ever seen, and I'm on the message boards 4-6 hours every single day. The only thing I can think is that it must have been some of Jason Miller's magic track prep... Either way, kudos for an unreal 60-foot on pirellis.

I was on stock springs, shocks, struts, tires, and tune, with aftermarket lca's and relocating brackets, and GT500 mufflers. Tires were at about 20psi and I DO NOT heat the stock tires at all. I just drive through the water and when on dry ground dump the clutch just to clean the tires off and let the car roll forward. I think I must pick up a little sticky rubber that way. I launch it at 2,000 to 2,500 and slip the clutch quickly. I had gotten several sixty foot times in the 1.8X's but 1.80 was my best. This was at Atco Dragway and normal track prep for a test & tune night, no magic track prep! Thanks for the compliment though! Keep practicing and you can do it too.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm gonna try to get my hands on that stock airbox this weekend. I prefer the look of the stock airbox over the CAI I have now. (polished aluminum) I ordered a sound tube delete earlier this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to get this stuff going. I'll probably get this all ironed out just in time to remove it all and install a blower. Such is life.

Ha! Yes that is the way of things with this stuff. I am debating what to do with my car. My options are:

1. Keep it like it is and enjoy.
2. Drop $10k in it to get to the next level.
3. Sell it and focus on other projects.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I was on stock springs, shocks, struts, tires, and tune, with aftermarket lca's and relocating brackets, and GT500 mufflers. Tires were at about 20psi and I DO NOT heat the stock tires at all. I just drive through the water and when on dry ground dump the clutch just to clean the tires off and let the car roll forward. I think I must pick up a little sticky rubber that way. I launch it at 2,000 to 2,500 and slip the clutch quickly. I had gotten several sixty foot times in the 1.8X's but 1.80 was my best. This was at Atco Dragway and normal track prep for a test & tune night, no magic track prep! Thanks for the compliment though! Keep practicing and you can do it too.

I appreciate the encouragement, although I actually disagree. I don't doubt that I could pull a 1.80 or better on stock suspension and my tires, because that suspension allows a lot of weight transfer. However, the Handling Package on my car (which works GREAT in the corners) does not allow the weight to transfer as easily. It would've been cool to see an 11.99 on the board, but I'm content with how the car ran on the stiff suspension I'm running.

Ha! Yes that is the way of things with this stuff. I am debating what to do with my car. My options are:

1. Keep it like it is and enjoy.
2. Drop $10k in it to get to the next level.
3. Sell it and focus on other projects.

I'm a big fan of "the next level"... That's how my Fox project spiraled out of control.

How fast is your car wbt?

He runs 10s NA.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here ya go Brett. Here's what "the next level" mentality did for me-

I searched and searched and searched until I found a low-mileage one-owner Fox body.... then I did this to it:

Back