Custom Front Splitter?

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best category or not, but it's related to autocross. I'm looking to make a custom splitter from sheet aluminum, and I wanted to know if anyone who had experience doing this could give me an idea of the thickness to use and the type of aluminum. I was thinking 6061 with .080 inch thickness. Any advice anyone could give me would be great.

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen them from ABS but I think I'd rather do it from aluminum, my car is pretty much just a weekend cruiser and I'm very good about inclines and curbs, so I'm not worried about ripping the bumper off.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If it's for autocross, make sure to read the rules closely for the class you run- there are many and varied splitter rules out there. You probably know that but in case you didn't, there you go.

Check out the old vorshlag car- they did aluminum.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best category or not, but it's related to autocross. I'm looking to make a custom splitter from sheet aluminum, and I wanted to know if anyone who had experience doing this could give me an idea of the thickness to use and the type of aluminum. I was thinking 6061 with .080 inch thickness. Any advice anyone could give me would be great.

I THINK the 2011 orange Vorshlag car used .25" thick al plate with 6061-T6 alloy. He has a writeup on how they fabricated it, buried on his build thread (which now resides under his vendor site on S-197)
Dunno how thin a plate can be used, if made from 6061-T6,depends how it is supported, etc. You may be able to use .125" plate, then re-enforce it with ribs in a few places, but that would potentially screw up the airflow.

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
From what I've looked at so far it's my understanding that .2 or greater is too thick and is just unnecessary weight. I'd talked to a guy who makes his own splitters and he said anywhere from .125 to .187 would be about right.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
From what I've looked at so far it's my understanding that .2 or greater is too thick and is just unnecessary weight. I'd talked to a guy who makes his own splitters and he said anywhere from .125 to .187 would be about right.

Try .125". If it does bend /deflect, you could always laminate a 2nd identical cut splitter, but .065" - .125" ...to the 1st one.

You could split the difference, and just make one splitter ... from aprx .150" material...if available. A lot of the deflection issue will depend on how far the splitter extends outwards....and also how many vert supports and spacing across the splitter.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
For autocross you don’t have to worry about any off road sight-seeing just multiple cones. I would use sealed plywood for the initial splitter - Easier to work with, acceptable weight, simple to alter / modify and when you have finished with the final configuration, duplicate it in aluminum. Deflection will be minimal at autocross speeds. Loading on and off a trailer will be a PIA. Mounted low, very far forward and wide enough to be effective at low auto cross speeds will make street driving difficult.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, some good questions here. Let me try to put some thoughts together about splitters on S197s... this is just my experience, and not meant to be some "splitter FAQ". I'm no expert in this field but I work with some other great engineers and fabricators here at Vorshlag and we've made a bunch of different splitters for Mustangs and other cars. Use this or ignore it, your choice.

angry-bird-M.jpg

Its no secret that adding downforce and aero drag reduction are important to lowering lap times on a road course, and to a much smaller degree it also helps lower times in autocross (which is what the OP asked about). Every car can benefit from downforce, when done correctly. There are some easy things on a splitter design - the low hanging fruit - that make the most improvements.

P7A_7020-M.jpg

Adding a rear wing is relatively easy and the concepts are well understood, and this adds rear downforce quite effectively on almost any body shape. That's a whole other subject, but my point is - if you have added a rear wing, you should look at adding a front splitter to balance out the aero loading on the other end of the car.

_DSC2747-M.jpg

Splitters reduce drag, limit airflow under the car, and if made correctly create a vacuum at the front - which creates negative pressure, and thus downforce on the front wheels. The gap between the splitter and the ground must be maintained, however, and often racers will apply "rub blocks" under the splitter to help space it up and maintain some airflow. With a ducted hood a splitter is even more effective, too.

Faux Splitters

DSC_4613-3-M.jpg

First note: ABS is not a good material for splitters. We ran the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca splitter (made of 3/8" thick ABS plastic) in SCCA's STX and ESP classes on our red 2011 GT, for two reasons: 1) it was a far larger splitter than SCCA normally allowed in STX or ESP, but since it was an OEM piece we ran it. We felt initially that "it couldn't hurt". 2) Since many folks didn't know this was an OEM piece we could legally update/backdate to, the sight of this splitter got folks spun up, so it was good psychological warfare. Get them spun up over nothing. :fishing1:

_DSC8643-M.jpg

In reality, as we later learned, this ABS splitter does almost nothing to produce usable downforce. It deflects markedly under load at higher track speeds. We had the factory splitter rip off this LS Boss above at TWS at 140 mph, after it deflected a lot. Caused about $1000 worth of damage to the front end, and took me an hour to zip-tie the car back together. This LS splitter is a decent enough flat bottomed "front under tray" but that's about it. Faux Splitter.

alumalite-corocore.jpg

I've seen too many home-brew splitters, especially in SCCA autocross, made of "sign shop material". Things like Alumilite (see above) or other corrugated plastic/aluminum hybrid materials that are mostly air. My rule is if two fingers on one hand can permanently deflect and damage a splitter, it wasn't ever going to work on track or autocross. Pikes Peak last year had an Alumilite splitter come off and cause the car to crash. They fly off violently when they get serious downforce on these materials. And a minor cone hit can utterly destroy this stuff. "Just say no!" to corrugated sign shop material.

DSC_6200-M.jpg

This splitter was good enough for the SMod win at the 2009 Solo Nats on one of our tester's cars

Materials

There are really only 3 materials, we feel, that are suited for making splitters:

1. Carbon fiber (stiff and light, expensive to make, shatters easily),

2. Aluminum (easy and somewhat inexpensive to make, durable/repairable, stiff but has some mass)

3. Plywood (cheap to make, not as stiff, durable and "wearable", but the heaviest option).

7851448582_ba522a57bd_o-M.jpg

For those of us not in professional racing or that don't have the skills and tools, carbon fiber is not a good answer. They are the lightest option, but one good hit and they are toast. Wood is cheapest and I encourage folks to try this out for their first "splitter projects". They still show up in pro racing paddocks, so don't be ashamed. We used 1/2" plywood on a number of splitters, including our $2011 GRM challenge winning BMW E30 LSx (above) and the Pikes Peak Subaru STi (below).

brianne-pikes-M.jpg

The Subaru was driven on a course (PPIHC) that had a lot of "curb cuts", radical camber changes in the surface, and driven at the apex of many curves it takes a massive beating - from hits and abrasion on asphalt. Its still going 3 years of Pikes Peak later. We were able to make spares for about $25 in materials, so plywood is hard to beat when you beat up the splitter a lot. And you could still stand on it, but we did have some extra aluminum tubing structure hidden above the splitter (see below).

DSC_3375-M.jpg

Last, and our go-to material, is aluminum. We use two thicknesses - 1/8" (.125") and 3/16" (.1875"), using 6061-T6 plate material. This can cost you $200-300 for a 4x8' sheet and we usually use a cheap 1/8" pressboard material to make a template from, perfect hole placements, then transfer this to the aluminum plate.

_DSC1309-M.jpg

You need a flat edge along the front of the car to mount a splitter to, It is remarkable how UN-flat most cars are at the front. One of the projects we're working on is a BMW E46 and none of the factory front bumpers (of many) are flat at the front.

_DSC1892-M.jpg

So you often have to make an "air dam" section first, which can give you that flat leading edge to mount to.

B61G8103-M.jpg

This air dam section needs to seal pretty well to the splitter plate itself, or you are going to add a lot of drag and/or lose downforce.

B61G2359-M.jpg

Once you have the leading edge/air dam, then you can make your template. A big piece of cardboard can work but we like to use a cheap/thin piece of pressboard - it makes for a better template you can re-use.

B61G2381-M.jpg

You are on your own for the rear mounts - I can't give away ALL our secrets. :p The front struts are pretty self-explanatory, and again - I'm going to let you find these on your own, too. We have used a number of suppliers and found there is a big difference in quality.

B61G2549-M.jpg

Know The Rules

DSC_8406-M.jpg

There are almost always class rules that will limit the splitter length forward, length aft, width, and sometimes height from the ground. These things all effect efficiency and downforce, which is why there are usually rules to restrict each variable. Additional dive planes or canards can add more downforce but might be restricted or outlawed.

DSC_2487-M.jpg

Go as far back as the rules allow - usually the limit is the "front axle centerline". Even without a protruding "splitter" a flat bottom undertray is still a good idea, and tends to reduce undercar drag (see below).

DSC_1634-M.jpg

Most rules prohibit a "flat bottomed car" because it works even better, but if the factory design was flat bottomed, you can keep that (Ferrari, Corvettes, etc).

DSC_4534-M.jpg

A properly designed, flat bottomed splitter on a typical sedan should make ~100-300 pounds of front downforce, so it should be able to withstand the weight of at least one full sized adult standing on the end. That's a test we use on all splitters we make. The factory Boss302 LS splitter will rip right through the (2) front strut mounts if you try this. My advice: only do this on wood or aluminum splitters you are confident in.

_DSC5401-M.jpg

What Matters Most

Splitter length is important, and the longer it is, it seems to make more downforce it tends to make. The old rule of thumb was "anything beyond 6 inches of forward extension" past the bumper is wasted, but that's not what we've seen in testing - we had a 10.25" extension that made too much front downforce for the wing we had at the time. Cutting 4" off the front of that thing reduced front downforce and made the balance more stable in high speed corners. This isn't extensive aero testing, of course, and if you can make the splitter go back past the front axle centerline it could be more effective than the long front overhang.

i-fJ84j9V-M.jpg

Also, make the splitter plane as wide as you care to - but if the tracks you frequent have substantial edge curbing, keep that in mind. Width is often limited in rules.

DSC_8814-M.jpg

And of course get the splitter as close to the ground as you can. You need to factor in brake dive (shown above), of course, but with increasing aero loading (front and rear) the spring rates tend to go higher and higher... otherwise the car is going to compress the springs to the bump stops. NOTE: a very low splitter height and/or a long front extension on the splitter makes loading a car onto a trailer "fun" (read: time to buy long ramps) and makes street driving "difficult".

11021510_10155301504580078_8894730956390103560_o-M.jpg

Hope this helped. I'll have Jason re-read this and make corrections based on his edits.

Cheers,

Last edited:

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up with a photo of a Laguna Seca splitter on one of our customer's cars. The splitter produced a little downforce, which combined with a lowered car and flexible splitter material ended bad for the front end. The splitter eventually bent enough to kiss the ground, which ripped it right off it's mounts.

IMG_7198-L.jpg

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
How serious are you about the plywood? I've heard of it, I've entertained it, it seems logical and yet so ghetto at the same time.

My biggest concern with the aluminum, is stuffing the car into something and the bad ass aluminum splitter pushes back into something important (non S197 car in this case) with plywood you just get a bunch of toothpicks.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
For those of us not in professional racing or that don't have the skills and tools, carbon fiber is not a good answer. They are the lightest option, but one good hit and they are toast. Wood is cheapest and I encourage folks to try this out for their first "splitter projects". They still show up in pro racing paddocks, so don't be ashamed. We used 1/2" plywood on a number of splitters, including our $2011 GRM challenge winning BMW E30 LSx (above) and the Pikes Peak Subaru STi (below).

The Subaru was driven on a course (PPIHC) that had a lot of "curb cuts", radical camber changes in the surface, and driven at the apex of many curves it takes a massive beating - from hits and abrasion on asphalt. Its still going 3 years of Pikes Peak later. We were able to make spares for about $25 in materials, so plywood is hard to beat when you beat up the splitter a lot. And you could still stand on it, but we did have some extra aluminum tubing structure hidden above the splitter (see below).
DSC_3375-M.jpg

He literally talks about using it, and has a picture of a plywood splitter, I'd say hes serious about actually using it....lol

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
How serious are you about the plywood? I've heard of it, I've entertained it, it seems logical and yet so ghetto at the same time.

My biggest concern with the aluminum, is stuffing the car into something and the bad ass aluminum splitter pushes back into something important (non S197 car in this case) with plywood you just get a bunch of toothpicks.

A plywood splitter made strong enough to not deflect at speed and actually give adequate down force will do quite a bit of damage.
It is a very easy & cheap media to work with.

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
The splitters on my AI racecar are made from 2 sheets of luan glued together with fiberglass resin. I bit thinner/lighter than 1/2" ply. I think the luan is 3ply 5mm thick. They've held up well on more than one "off"....

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

E30-splitter-wood-M.jpg

I'm serious. Its a legitimate material, for the reasons outlined above. If it wasn't for the negative "internet image
of plywood, I think you'd see it used more often.

DSC_2764-M.jpg

Don't let "carbon snobs" sway you from testing a splitter made from plywood, especially on a budget build or your first time making a splitter. Plywood is at least 10X cheaper than aluminum material and probably close to 100X cheaper than a carbon splitter.

DSC_2773-M.jpg

Here are three pictures from the construction of the plywood splitter on our GRM challenge winning E30. This car had a BMW E36 front nose, custom air dam section, and custom plywood splitter. It wasn't huge but it did work well.

Hmmm... Plywood doesn't splinter or shatter when it comes off a car as a splitter - it can do plenty of damage. You might be thinking OSB or chip board, but even those won't just explode into tiny pieces like carbon does.

GTA-crash-RA-M.jpg

When my old Mustang's splitter came off during a high speed shunt (above) the splitter came off almost immediately. Luckily the corner workers grabbed it and even brought it to our pit stall later that day.

20140509_121343-M.jpg

When (not "if") you have a big off-track excursion with a splitter attached, expect to do some repairs to the car afterwards. This was what the front end looked like after that 155 mph shunt (above).

_DSC2001-M.jpg

The splitter was salvaged - and barely even bruised. There was one mount that tore through a mounting hole at the rear of the splitter, but it was repaired and the splitter was repainted and re-used (with new rear pin mounts on the chassis). The front bumper cover, CS lower valance, both front bolt-on flares and all 4 leading edge splitter support struts were also replaced.

mustang-fixed-M.jpg

We had it back on track racing at an event 2 weeks later. This is just part of fun of running with aero... so don't be surprised if ANY splitter material you use tears up everything it is mounted to when it comes off. It usually does. "That's racing"

DSC_3276-M.jpg

We ran with "real splitters" for part of 2013, all of 2014, and through June of 2015 when we sold this car. I had more than a few "offs" during that time, but only ONE that was bad enough (digging into a gravel trap at 150) to damage the splitter. It just depends on how low you run it and how STRONG you make it. Plywood and aluminum plate is plenty strong enough to take a lot of hits, scraps, and "drags" on pavement.

20150313_174344-M.jpg

I even took chunks out of some FIA track-side curbing this this thing. A thinner aluminum splitter, or one made of carbon fiber or Alumilite or Tegris might not have made it a single weekend, with my driving style. ;) Then again most folks have the most trouble just loading their car into a trailer. Long ramps are your friend.

Last edited:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I am going to give this some real thought then.

I guess I should have been clearer on my concerns.

You can see the crossmember in this pic, there is no way I can run the splitter that low #becausestreetcar ;) so the splitter will essentially butt up to it. I may have been a bit hyperbolic with "toothpicks" from plywood, but certainly a plywood splitter would be easier on the rest of the car than aluminum. That's what I meant.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I made mine out of Omega Bond. It is a hard composite material like a knee puck sandwiched between 2 layers of thin alum. Works great but a little expensive

Attachments

• photo350.JPG
    photo350.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 29

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121850

Here is the link to my thread....I dont autocross or do anything much over a 100mph anymore too old...lol

But I do like it...its held up nicely and I get several compliments on it...dont have any pictures yet but I also went ahead and done the rear splitters too and it created an over all very racing look to my vert with idea when ur walking around it, that its low and fast....even if its not....lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back