Custom Grille

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, I bough a plain GT surround (without driving lights). My desire is to make a grille with a deep inset and flat grille area. Since the surround is made of ABS, it should be fairly easy to work with.

My plan is

0) Cut out the current inner cowl area just past the front lip, leaving 3/8 inch of material

1) With 1/8-inch thick ABS sheet, glue a support strip under the forward lip. This lip will have strips that extend back toward the radiator and will be bent in such a way as to allow the honeycomb grille material to be secured to it.

2) Use some 3/32 or 1/8 ABS sheet to form the new inner cowl. This will have to be heated and bent to conform to the curves in the grille surround. The goal is to not use fasteners to secure the inner cowl to the support lip. I'll probably use glue.

3) Secure some stainless honeycomb sheet to the back on the inner cowl.

4) I may make a 2nd honeycomb grille that allows the use of my existing center-mount driving lights.

The good news is that if I completely fuck up the grille surround, it won't cost but about $60 to start over. :)

claudermilk

Reaction score
Sounds like exactly what I've been planning on doing far a while (short-circuit any thoughts of me copying, just haven't gotten time to get off my butt & do it). Looking forward to your progress. What was the part number for the part? DR3Z-8200-BC?

I already have a sheet of the honeycomb grille material. Meant for the Pinto project car for the same purpose. I'll probably have to buy a second one for the Mustang to makes sure I have enough. When I get around to it.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like exactly what I've been planning on doing far a while (short-circuit any thoughts of me copying, just haven't gotten time to get off my butt & do it). Looking forward to your progress. What was the part number for the part? DR3Z-8200-BC?

I already have a sheet of the honeycomb grille material. Meant for the Pinto project car for the same purpose. I'll probably have to buy a second one for the Mustang to makes sure I have enough. When I get around to it.

Don't worry about me being concerned about being copied. IMHO, the more people that do this kind of thing, the easier it will be for other people that come along behind me/us and want to do something similar.

I got the grille surround from CJ Pony Parts. In the link below, it shows a car with a foglight grille in the product picture, but at the bottom of the page it shows just the surround, and it's the correct one.

2010-2012 GT W/O FOGLIGHTS GRILLE SURROUND #AR3Z8419AA

The part number you listed is for the 13/14.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back