Custom Splitter on a CDC Classic Chin Spoiler

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
What IS a Splitter?

A splitter is a horizontal shelf mounted under the nose of the car, or to the bottom of an air dam, with the top side of the splitter sealed to the body. A splitter produces downforce from the difference in air pressure on the top and bottom surfaces of the splitter area. Because airflow over the top is blocked by the body or air dam, the local airspeed is low and the air pressure on top is high. Because air can flow under the splitter freely, the local airspeed under it is high and the air pressure on the bottom side is low. More splitter area produces more front downforce, but only up to a point. The effectiveness of adding splitter area falls rapidly as it extends away from the body. That is because the difference in airspeed between the top and bottom sides decreases with distance away from the body. The useful length is 4 to 5 inches.” (Neil Roberts, NASA Speed News May 2013, pg. 36)

01-boss-302-laguna-seca-mtbdc.jpg

Splitters seem to be all the rage since the release of the Boss 302. The Laguna Seca Boss has popularized this very effective aero device and brought it from the fringe realm of racing and into the minds of the street warriors. I even had someone refer to my adaptation of the splitter on my car as a “Laguna Seca Splitter,” to which I promptly corrected that it was just a splitter; no Laguna Seca about it.

Despite what little vanity that comes from having the latest fad hanging from the nose of my car, my primary motivation in making a splitter was to use it at the track to make front end downforce. On the legacy S197, there are little to no options for an off the shelf solution that are not built with cosmetics as the primary focus. This leaves us with fabricating one as the only option. My car has a CDC Classic chin spoiler installed to act as an air dam. It looks aggressive enough and serves the purpose of effectively lowering the front bumper closer to the ground. It has a couple of flaws inherent in the design of it however. Firstly, it is entirely too flexible and bows under load. Being attached with only 3M tape, it quickly begins to lift off of the leading edge of the bumper where it attaches. I have since riveted the whole assembly to the bumper. Secondly, it is completely hollow behind the leading edge. This is just another of the many places on the underside of our cars for there to be drag.

Here you can see how it comes to a point in the middle. Upon closer inspection you would find that it was not even attached on the top where the tape used to hold it.

Supporting mods

Nevertheless, it serves as a good flat place to butt the splitter against. However, it requires some extra reinforcement to serve as a good platform for attaching it. I debated making a second sheet metal undertray that stretched from end to end as well as a simple sheet metal lip that would reinforce the inside edges of the chin spoiler. What I ended up with was a local reinforcement plate in the location of my planned attachment points as well as two gusset plates that sandwiched between the chin spoiler and the actual bumper itself.

The Gusset Plate. This was first riveted to the chin spoiler, and then riveted to the bumper through all 3.

In addition to these reinforcements I added two pieces of extruded aluminum angle that were notched to slide flush against the inside of the chin spoiler. These extend all the way to the rear and then tie into another piece of angle that is mounted perpendicular and riveted to the gusset plates on either side.

The reinforced attachment points and extruded aluminum angle

The perpendicular angle tied together with the other two.

Where the perpendicular support, bumper, gusset plate, and chin spoiler all tie together.

This structure serves to make the entire bumper assembly more rigid and to provide some attachment points that weren’t soft plastic. The intention was to put rivnuts in my reinforced areas, but I made the mistake of riveting the plates to the chin before installing the rivnuts. This left the bottom side as the only place to work and the soft plastic didn’t take to having a rivnut expanding in it. This left me with the tried and true bolt/washer/nut combo which is much more of a pain in the ass, but effective nonetheless. With the support structure completed, I still needed to have a solid attachment point for the support rods. I bought off-the-shelf longacre turnbuckle rods and backing washers to serve as the vertical supports, but I could not install them into something like the Laguna Seca bracket because it installed in the same place as my heat exchanger. The heat exchanger situation changed, but I still proceeded with my original plan to weld some U brackets to the front bumper beam. This is a simple and effective solution for those of you looking to accomplish a splitter on your GT500.

Fabricating the Splitter

The splitter itself was first prototyped with some cardboard. I wanted to maximize the downforce available from this project and so opted to get as close to the 5 inch maximum before getting into diminishing returns territory. Also, the splitter needs to be AT LEAST as long as your cars height off of the ground. In addition, I wanted the splitter to extend out to the edge of the tire when the wheels are pointing straight. Once I got the general shape I wanted, it was time to cut. I used a 3” pneumatic cutting disc and it was probably the worst tool for this job. It spun too fast and melted the plastic instead of cutting it. This required a lot of work with a plane and a file to get a smooth edge later on.

The material is ¼” Black ABS plastic that I got from a local plastic and composites supply company. I chose this material for a couple of reasons. I wanted something simple to work with that didn’t require a lot of set up, sanding, painting, etc. like fiberglass would have since I am (A) inexperienced in laying up fiberglass and (B) kinda lazy. Also, ABS plastic was cheap at $100 for a 4’ by 8’ sheet , and would be easily replaced in the event that an off track excursion required the fabrication of a new one. Plus, I figured that if the LS/302S splitter and the FR500S splitter were made out of it, it was good enough for me. I will discuss my findings at the conclusion of this writeup.

Finally, once the supporting modifications were completed and the splitter cut and trimmed, it was time to mount it. The splitter gets mounted to the bumper with it off the car, leaving the support rods as the only part that needs tightening once the bumper is in place. It is important to note the importance of putting lock-tight on each and every nut and bolt in the assembly. I failed to do so on the rods and installed them as they came in the package. I ended up losing a screw that held the turnbuckle to the splitter and had to find a replacement at the hardware store.

The finished product

Fender Extensions

The pressure drag that comes from rotating tires in the airstream is quite large. In an attempt to decelerate the airflow in a controlled fashion in front of the tires I wanted to create a vertical wall, a gurney flap on the fender wells that tied into the splitter. This should reduce drag as well as add a bit of downforce. I made these out the same ABS plastic and then molded them to the shape of the fender well with a heat gun. A piece of aluminum angle ensures that the flap stays butted up against the trailing edge of the splitter. The angle is attached to the splitter using rivets but the flap just rests in it. The flap is attached to the bumper using factory holes in the bumper and c-clip nuts.

Conclusions

As far as the ABS plastic is concerned, just as many of you might have guessed it is a bit flimsy. It passes the standing on test, but with a bit of bowing. The splitter could most definitely be stiffer and I will address this issue in future iterations. My next one I plan to do a sintra core with fiberglass. Despite the limited flexibility it most definitely still works. My assessment of the splitter while taking my favorite high speed on ramp is that these splitters are no marketing gimmick. With my staggered 285/305 street setup the front expectedly always lost grip first. This created a car that was understeer prone at the limit and hard to rotate. With the splitter in place the understeer is all but gone. On my square track setup, it is likely that the splitter will create the opposite of what I have on the street; a car prone to oversteer. I will be addressing this in the coming weeks with a custom spoiler. Driving around town, I haven’t encountered anywhere that it was harder to get in and out of where I didn’t already scrub some part of my car on. I am anxious to get this on the track at Road Atlanta to see how it affects front end stability in the “esses” and in turn one as well as braking. I like to think of this design as Mark I and I welcome any and all comments or criticisms for a Mark II design if I ever get around to it.

Last edited:

neema

forum member
Reaction score
great job! that looks well put together for a "lazy" guy doing some DIY work!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
VERY COOL!

Since I'm looking to start my own soon (also w/a Classic chin), this was good to see. One quick correction, the FR500S splitters are not made out of 1/4" ABS. I'm pretty sure they're a lot thicker than that (and I'm not sure if it's ABS or something similar).

One thing that's always puzzled me is why folks are not running their splitters further back. My thought is that you're trying to take as much advantage of the Bernoulli principle as you can with your flat-panel-to-ground area (i.e. keeping the fast moving air doing so for as long as you can). So why not extend it past the center line of the front wheels? That would place the greatest low-pressure zone in line with your front tires instead of ahead of it. Thoughts?

Look forward to seeing Mark II and sharing my own Mark I when it happens.

Best,
-j

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
great job! that looks well put together for a "lazy" guy doing some DIY work!

ha! Okay, maybe I'm not as lazy as I'd like to think I am...

I REALLY like that. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you spend on materials?

It's hard to say since I had a lot of the small stuff already in my parts room. The 4' x 8' sheet of ABS was $100 and the rods were $50. I'd say that it couldn't have cost much more than $200. Other materials you would need are rivets, bolts, washers, nuts, aluminum angle, and some aluminum sheet metal.

Tools I used were tin snips, a rivet gun, pneumatic drill, the pneumatic cutting wheel, a small smoothing plane, and a file. I'm sure I'm forgetting something too.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
VERY COOL!

Since I'm looking to start my own soon (also w/a Classic chin), this was good to see. One quick correction, the FR500S splitters are not made out of 1/4" ABS. I'm pretty sure they're a lot thicker than that (and I'm not sure if it's ABS or something similar).

I didn't mean to imply that the FR500S splitter was exactly 1/4" ABS, but nonetheless it is something similar and equally as flexible. Still, it works and the FR500S owners don't seem in any big rush to go out and make one from carbon fiber. I talked to a guy who had an off track excursion into the sand pit in turn 10A at Road Atlanta and he said he made a new one out of ABS he got locally.

You can see the passenger side bowing a bit under load in this picture

One thing that's always puzzled me is why folks are not running their splitters further back. My thought is that you're trying to take as much advantage of the Bernoulli principle as you can with your flat-panel-to-ground area (i.e. keeping the fast moving air doing so for as long as you can). So why not extend it past the center line of the front wheels? That would place the greatest low-pressure zone in line with your front tires instead of ahead of it. Thoughts?

Look forward to seeing Mark II and sharing my own Mark I when it happens.

Best,
-j

Ahh! You bring up an excellent point, and I wholeheartedly agree. If you will note in the picture below, the trailing edge of the splitter is not a completely straight line. The extension you see extends the splitter to the mid line of the radiator support. From there I plan to attach a sort of 'I' bracket where only one half will attach to the splitter. The other half will attach to a second piece that will extend at least as far as the K member, maybe all the way back to the transmission. I debated making it all one piece with the splitter, but ultimately decided that it would make oil changes easier if I didnt have to remove the whole splitter to do so.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
One thing that's always puzzled me is why folks are not running their splitters further back.

There is a balancing act there. If you run the splitter back past the radiator support you reduce the amount of air that gets exhausted from under the hood. A lot of air gets “pulled” out there and if there is one thing S197’s need it is less air under the hood.

So the $64,000 question is what is more beneficial. Exhausting the air out from under the hood or having a longer splitter? I don’t have an answer for this.

If the car has a Tiger Racing hood exhausting the air out the bottom is probably not an issue.

I didn’t have an answer to the question and I don’t have a Tiger Racing hood on the car yet (still deciding if I want one) so I went half way there. I used the 2010+ OEM “front diffuser” between the K-member and the radiator support. The theory being that it effectively makes the splitter longer and exhausts the engine compartment too.

Pan4_zps20bf1869.jpg

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice job. Love to see some do it yourself stuff from other people.

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Love it in combo w/ the CDC chin.

The original Miller/FR500 stuff was either 3/8 or 5/16", don't recall which exactly. A tad weighty, but for those spec cars, keeping cost low was a factor. They were damn near indestructible though, that's for sure.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Here are the pics for the one I made for a friend. It is the same for my FR car. I made it out of .500" DuraBond. Its a composit center sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of aluminum. So far he loves it! With the car dropped 2" he is cautious how he parks and where he goes but it is holding up well so far! It goes all the way back to the steering rack with no hood vents and so far no cooling problems in his Arizona heat. :clap:

Attachments

• Splitter 5.jpg
    Splitter 5.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Splitter 3.jpg
    Splitter 3.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
There is a balancing act there. If you run the splitter back past the radiator support you reduce the amount of air that gets exhausted from under the hood. A lot of air gets “pulled” out there and if there is one thing S197’s need it is less air under the hood.

So the $64,000 question is what is more beneficial. Exhausting the air out from under the hood or having a longer splitter? I don’t have an answer for this.

If the car has a Tiger Racing hood exhausting the air out the bottom is probably not an issue.

I didn’t have an answer to the question and I don’t have a Tiger Racing hood on the car yet (still deciding if I want one) so I went half way there. I used the 2010+ OEM “front diffuser” between the K-member and the radiator support. The theory being that it effectively makes the splitter longer and exhausts the engine compartment too.

Pan4_zps20bf1869.jpg

I have pondered the things you speak of here as well since you brought them up in your other thread. Its one of the reasons I haven't put the car on the lift and started hacking up some more plastic.

It is good to get the air out of the engine bay, but I have to say that getting out through the hood is the most ideal route especially since it will create downforce along the way. Venting it out under the car does the opposite.

I have also thought of doing the oem diffuser tray like you but I was not sure if there was any performance to be lost or gained because the tray would be at a higher plane than the splitter.

My ultimate aero goals for the hood and venting the air are to fabricate a deep draw 'ramp' that mates to ductwork under the hood. This, in addition to completely sealing in the heat exchanger and radiator, would leave the air coming through the grill nowhere to go but through my cooling devices and out the top. A la Corvette C6.R.

CorvetteCorvette%20%20C6-R%20-%20seriouswheels.jpg

Right now there's way too much crap in the way to properly do it. Radiator hoses, power steering hoses, and De-gas bottles would make it nearly impossible to make a good duct on the backside of the radiator.
To do this though I need to (1) relocate the supercharger de-gas bottle (which I know DOB will soon have solution) and (2) to get a radiator that has tanks large enough to not require a degas bottle or at least a small NASCAR style one that can be mounted on the strut tower.

$T2eC16N,!ygE9s7HHq5RBRPzOY7DHQ~~60_3.JPG

With that, and some carefully placed weatherstripping around the inside of the hood, there should be no problem with air in the engine bay. Now pulling the heat out is another issue all together. Adding louvered vents elsewhere on the hood would likely be the fix for that.

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
needs more info on the under body panels.

If you're referring to Gmitch's picture of his car, he already has a thread.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103364

Very nice job. Love to see some do it yourself stuff from other people.

Thanks! Coming from the master fabricator that you are, that means a lot. It is really cool to see ideas become reality. The worst part about making your own stuff though is when it gets damaged...

Some asshat didn't secure the drywall sheets on his truck. The resulting minefield on the highway resulted in a 12 x 6" piece coming up and hitting my newly fabricated brake ducts. They were on the car for two days... :kill:

Looks awesome! Love it in combo w/ the CDC chin.
Thanks!

Here are the pics for the one I made for a friend. It is the same for my FR car. I made it out of .500" DuraBond. Its a composit center sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of aluminum. So far he loves it! With the car dropped 2" he is cautious how he parks and where he goes but it is holding up well so far! It goes all the way back to the steering rack with no hood vents and so far no cooling problems in his Arizona heat. :clap:

Looks great. I will consider that material if and when I make Mark II.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Question on airflow/pressure with the Tiger Racing hood for someone with better knowledge of how under/overhood pressures build in these cars-

Isn't the "rear" of the hood, back by the cowl (where the vents are with the TR hood) the highest pressure zone on the exterior of the hood? Why would you put vents there and not where they are on say, the GT500 hood? Can air even escape with all the pressure from above? Wouldn't you want the vent up by the radiator to take advantage of any downforce you could make by running all that air over the hood?

I don't know much about aero, so please excuse any ignorance, and please explain if I'm really wrong.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Question on airflow/pressure with the Tiger Racing hood for someone with better knowledge of how under/overhood pressures build in these cars-

Isn't the "rear" of the hood, back by the cowl (where the vents are with the TR hood) the highest pressure zone on the exterior of the hood? Why would you put vents there and not where they are on say, the GT500 hood? Can air even escape with all the pressure from above? Wouldn't you want the vent up by the radiator to take advantage of any downforce you could make by running all that air over the hood?

I don't know much about aero, so please excuse any ignorance, and please explain if I'm really wrong.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, what is video worth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr40fdYmd2I

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
It is good to get the air out of the engine bay, but I have to say that getting out through the hood is the most ideal route especially since it will create downforce along the way. Venting it out under the car does the opposite.
I agree with you 100% on this. I don't know where the "crossover point" is for air out the top vs. air out the bottom vs. enough air period. At this point I'm doing some guessing that I hope to maybe be able to test at some point.

I have also thought of doing the oem diffuser tray like you but I was not sure if there was any performance to be lost or gained because the tray would be at a higher plane than the splitter.
In theory the tray works better when paired with the splitter. It creates a low pressure zone under the tray that is not there stock. If you look at the OEM "splitter" you will see it has a "wicker bill" right in front of the tray. It looks like it is there to create a low pressure zone.

My ultimate aero goals for the hood and venting the air are to fabricate a deep draw 'ramp' that mates to ductwork under the hood. This, in addition to completely sealing in the heat exchanger and radiator, would leave the air coming through the grill nowhere to go but through my cooling devices and out the top. A la Corvette C6.R.
Can you make me a couple?:clap:

CorvetteCorvette%20%20C6-R%20-%20seriouswheels.jpg

Soooooooo sweeeeeeeet!!!!

Right now there's way too much crap in the way to properly do it. Radiator hoses, power steering hoses, and De-gas bottles would make it nearly impossible to make a good duct on the backside of the radiator.
To do this though I need to (1) relocate the supercharger de-gas bottle (which I know DOB will soon have solution) and (2) to get a radiator that has tanks large enough to not require a degas bottle or at least a small NASCAR style one that can be mounted on the strut tower.
Compared to doing the hood this is easy!

With that, and some carefully placed weatherstripping around the inside of the hood, there should be no problem with air in the engine bay. Now pulling the heat out is another issue all together. Adding louvered vents elsewhere on the hood would likely be the fix for that.

We just hacked my GT500 vents/hood up to see what would happen. It reduced underhood temps about 20deg. Now at 45+mph as long as the car is moving underhood temps are only about 10-15deg above ambient (just driving around). On the track under load I'm sure it would be higher though. It doesn't seem to take as much venting as you would think to keep things reasonable under the hood. I'm going to go with even bigger louvers and more effective vents in the stock location and see what I get.

hood6_zpsd5078b2b.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back