Damage from Racing stripes

344Saleen

forum member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used black '11 mustang gt a few months ago, soon after purchasing it I removed the remaining white racing stripes that were on the hood. After removal I have a faint white line much like a hairline scratch off from the edges of the racing stripes. 99% of people would never notice it but I see it every time. I m looking for some tips / tricks / hot to's to help me get rid of this. Im kinda a noob to paint repair but I was going to try using touch up paint and then wet sanding to hopefully even the paint out, I just don't want to screw everything up.

Below is a pic of some of the damage

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is actually scratched, or is it simply wax build up at the edge of the strip? When you run your finger nail across it, does it goes into the scratch or does the finger nail goes over the "scratch"?

If it is just wax build up, a good wash/clay bar/polish/wax will take care of it. If it is really scratched into the clear coat/paint, then you will have to determine how deep it is before deciding how to get rid of it...

Sorry, can't help you without seeing the damage in person...

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
It's not scratches. It's the glue from the stripes. I removed my red stripes and had the same thing.

Repair?
I used the Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit.
Use per directions.
A little elbow grease and VIOLA...it's gone.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I used 3M Adhesive remover in a spray can. Took 2 minutes, little to no elbow grease, fresh coat of wax when it was done and you never new it was there.

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I will be removing my stripes here shortly, I redid them about 2 years ago, took me about 8 hrs for removal, cleaning and restriping. It looked quite good for a while however a few spots lifted and cracked. So I am just going to remove them for good. My big worry is the paint contrast, fortunately I will be getting a new hood so I won't have to worry about that area, however the other parts of the car will probably show a contrast. I'll probably have to polish and wax it to get them to blend closely.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Lacquer thinner, then polish/wax afterward. That's why my detailer did when he removed my stripes. Looks perfect now.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I would only let an experianced pro use thinner on my car. I have seen what too much can do to clear/base if it is not done right. And trust me, it isn't much.

I've used brake clean to get the spun rubber off the car when I was out of the 3M stuff. That is just as bad as the thinner as far as the paint goes. Lot faster though.

344Saleen

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys, Ill give it a shot again to see if it is just glue from the stripes / wax build up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back