Datalog help...

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
In all seriousness, you're worrying over nothing.
+1

You're back to stock. Some det is normal. I'd be willing to bet there is quite a bit of tolerance between one knock sensor to the next as well.

I would do some reading up on how knock sensors work, as well as talk to a decent tuner to get some "piece of mind". I think you're worried for nothing, but until you understand it, you may not be able to stop worrying (been there, done that).

Simple explanation on knock sensors:
http://www.engineblox.com/?p=65

Super complex datasheet with description of operation:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3601.pdf

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
It's going to explode, you best go trade it in immediately.

In all seriousness, you're worrying over nothing.

With aftermarket tunes, you have to know what sensors are still active and which ones are turned off, and most, if not all, tuners won't tell you that. The only thing you can really count on is the reputation of the tuner and the company they work for.

As for the knock sensor, it's part of a feedback loop in the stock ECU tune that figures out what gas you're running. The timing hunts toward more aggressive levels until there's a knock, and then it backs off a bit. This cycle never stops. This gets the most performance out of your engine and it explains how the Coyote actually produces more power from higher octane fuel.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
...Super complex datasheet with description of operation:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3601.pdf

Thanks for posting that link. Interesting reading. When you see the "small signal" like 0.3 or 0.4 on the KS PID, you're seeing the raw voltage output of a device like the one in the data sheet. When you're seeing 0, -.5, -1, etc, you're seeing the timing adjustment the ECU has made based on that signal.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
With aftermarket tunes, you have to know what sensors are still active and which ones are turned off, and most, if not all, tuners won't tell you that. The only thing you can really count on is the reputation of the tuner and the company they work for.

As for the knock sensor, it's part of a feedback loop in the stock ECU tune that figures out what gas you're running. The timing hunts toward more aggressive levels until there's a knock, and then it backs off a bit. This cycle never stops. This gets the most performance out of your engine and it explains how the Coyote actually produces more power from higher octane fuel.

yep, all he is doing is catching his knock sensors at working, pulling and and advancing timing based upon internal and external events.

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
Since no one has said it yet, I logged my car when stock, on 93 octane.

It had timing being pulled by the knock sensors all over the place. You're fine.

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score

It had timing being pulled by the knock sensors all over the place. You're fine.

Holy hell thnk you +1000 as I sit here and seal the deal on a 2013

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
Only reason I'm carrying through on the deal is because I'm making money lol. Getting 27.5 for a car I paid 27..

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score

QFT its why these cars have KS, in a perfect world we wouldnt need KS but as we all know this isnt a perfect world, so the KS are simply doing as they were designed

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
youre buying the white one? nice? dont go trading it in too when you data log knock with it too lol

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
youre buying the white one? nice? dont go trading it in too when you data log knock with it too lol

Lol fu!! I bought the white one. Peace of mind is a valuable thing. It will stay stock. Only cosmetic mods

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Another reason I continue to wait for the tuning knowledge to mature and for people to fully understand what's going on in these Coyote PCMs.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Another reason I continue to wait for the tuning knowledge to mature and for people to fully understand what's going on in these Coyote PCMs.

it has matured, just need to go to the right tuner

burke985

Reaction score
Had my car dynoed with my 93 octane tune from Steeda and the car made 390rwhp @6800 RPM on a hot and humid day 90 degrees with 99% humidity , and he did not even pull it to the rev limiter @7300. The knock sensors activated for a second but he assured me that that was actually a good thing it proves that steeda did not mess with them and it was probably a result from the gas i was using and they were just doing their job. The guy is a respected tuner in my area and tunes for a lot of companies including SCT. I wouldnt worry about that one bit, my car runs strong all the time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back