Deer hunters?

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Who all here likes to deer hunt, and what's the best deer you've killed? I'll post some pics up of mine when I get a chance

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
i used to be an avid whitetail hunter until i traded my 4x4 in on my mustang. my car will be paid off soon and then i can get back into a truck. i sold my muzzle loader recently so i wont get to go primitive hunting when it opens up soon, but i sighted in my Remington 710 about a month ago so ill be ready for rifle season.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 6 years now since before I had my 01 GT, and we've got 90 acres to hunt on plus a couple hundred of acres of bank owned land were allowed to hunt and can get to it with our fourwheelers. I put my game cameras out a couple days ago and have caught 6 or 7 different bucks some small 4 pointers and some nice 8 and 10's. I've only killed 1 buck with my bow and 7 more with a Winchester 32special. But we've got plenty of other guns to take hunting also. I'm ready for it to begin I go every chance I get until I get something. I just enjoy being out in the woods rather I kill something or not

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Ours ends 1/17.
Here's one of my bigger bucks, I'll have to get some more of my dads tomorrow if I get a chance
134b69cc.jpg

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I used to hunt up on Fort Campbell, KY and various "daily let" fields. Smaller deer there though. My old Marlin 30AS in 30/30 took a lot of deer. Even before I put the little 4x36 scope on there.

Not much into it now a days though. I prefer fishing.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I used to hunt up on Fort Campbell, KY and various "daily let" fields. Smaller deer there though. My old Marlin 30AS in 30/30 took a lot of deer. Even before I put the little 4x36 scope on there.

Not much into it now a days though. I prefer fishing.

I've never went to ft Campbell but they do usually pull alot of nice deer out of there. I fish alot during the spring and summer when there's nothing in season, we dock fish at night for striper and walleye, the occasional paylake for catfish and then get out on the boat when we have chances.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've never went to ft Campbell but they do usually pull alot of nice deer out of there. I fish alot during the spring and summer when there's nothing in season, we dock fish at night for striper and walleye, the occasional paylake for catfish and then get out on the boat when we have chances.

Yeah, after my injury, getting deer back to the truck was just too much. I didn't want to overblast the meat with my 30/06, did that once or twice and the deer were too small around there for that big a gun, so I was always left using the venerable and proven 30/30. Most of the time, they'd only get maybe 20 meters, if that, from where I shot them. But those times when they went a few hundred and got into the briars or dead fall, it was just too much on me to get them out. And I just didn't have the excitement of the hunt any more. It was almost boring.

Here on the Florida Coastline, in September, you can surf fish and catch reds all the time. Not to mention Flounder. Once the weather cools a bit, I'll be posting pics of my catches!

But I do wish I had the same love of hunting that I did in my 20's and early 30's. Nothing like a cold morning to yourself to relax, scan the woods and get that adrenaline hit when you spot a nice one.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I used to hunt so much it almost cost me my marriage:). I have been lucky to get permission on some pretty good land. When I was in eastern NC, I had three places within 30 minutes of the house that had plenty of whitetails, and filled my tags every year. I reloaded my own rifle ammo and enjoyed seeing the fruits of my labor. Biggest buck was a decent 8 point, but I was never really a trophy hunter, I just filled the freezer. In south Texas I had a 600 acre place that the owner didn't charge me or my two friends to hunt on. The only rule he had was we could not under any circumstances allow a pig to walk. If we saw the pig, we had to shoot. It probably ruined a lot of chances to kill a deer, but it was a blast.

In Germany since 2006, the only hunting I get is if I make it to my dad's place in NE Mississippi during the season. Now, I can't seem to get the itch to pull the trigger. I have let a bunch of deer walk, but I enjoy getting in the stand or walking in the woods anyway. Like Tom, I would rather fish nowadays, but I just miss having the opportunities to go.

I miss opening day of dove season! Lots of good memories on that day.

I wish I could fondle my guns right now, but alas, "stuck" in Germany for awhile.

---
- Tapatalk makes me look incoherent

Last edited:

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, after my injury, getting deer back to the truck was just too much. I didn't want to overblast the meat with my 30/06, did that once or twice and the deer were too small around there for that big a gun, so I was always left using the venerable and proven 30/30. Most of the time, they'd only get maybe 20 meters, if that, from where I shot them. But those times when they went a few hundred and got into the briars or dead fall, it was just too much on me to get them out. And I just didn't have the excitement of the hunt any more. It was almost boring.

Here on the Florida Coastline, in September, you can surf fish and catch reds all the time. Not to mention Flounder. Once the weather cools a bit, I'll be posting pics of my catches!

But I do wish I had the same love of hunting that I did in my 20's and early 30's. Nothing like a cold morning to yourself to relax, scan the woods and get that adrenaline hit when you spot a nice one.

That's where I'm at right now since I'm 21 but I've been hunting since I was 6 so I don't see me quiting anytime soon. I get out and do all kids of hunting from squirrel to rabbit to turkey. I totally understand how hard it is trying to pull a deer out of the woods, it's hard enough sometimes being somebody that's never had surgery.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I used to hunt so much it almost cost me my marriage:). I have been lucky to get permission on some pretty good land. When I was in eastern NC, I had three places within 30 minutes of the house that had plenty of whitetails, and filled my tags every year. I reloaded my own rifle ammo and enjoyed seeing the fruits of my labor. Biggest buck was a decent 8 point, but I was never really a trophy hunter, I just filled the freezer. In south Texas I had a 600 acre place that the owner didn't charge me or my two friends to hunt on. The only rule he had was we could not under any circumstances allow a pig to walk. If we saw the pig, we had to shoot. It probably ruined a lot of chances to kill a deer, but it was a blast.

In Germany since 2006, the only hunting I get is if I make it to my dad's place in NE Mississippi during the season. Now, I can't seem to get the itch to pull the trigger. I have let a bunch of deer walk, but I enjoy getting in the stand or walking in the woods anyway. Like Tom, I would rather fish nowadays, but I just miss having the opportunities to go.

I miss opening day of dove season! Lots of good memories on that day.

I wish I could fondle my guns right now, but alas, "stuck" in Germany for awhile.

---
- Tapatalk makes me look incoherent

I don't trophy hunt either I hunt to put meat up, I love having fried deer tenderloin. But when you get a big buck it makes it so much better and gets your adrenaline running alot faster.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Rabbit! I've got two Beagles that will run a rabbit down with a quickness! Well, the old lady can't so much any more, but the younger one, Buddy, sure can! I think I had more fun training them than I did actually hunting with them!

Turkey is something I'll still hunt. They're so hard to get, especially with a bow, that it makes it so much of a challenge, I've kept my interest in it. Fort Campbell, KY. has some of the most prolific wild turkey flocks! And they allow civilians to come on post all season to hunt them. They often are the cause of bird strikes around the post while the helicopter guys are training. I've had one go right through my rotor system before, not thinking it would fly above 10', I cleared us to land as a flock was going absolutely confused ass ape shit. Left a nice dent on the leading edge of a blade.

My Beagles will still bring me squirrels too. They eat the heads and leave me the rest. The old lady not so much now a days, but Buddy will.

The old girl, Maggie, is on the left. Buddy on the right. Both ready to go for a walk through the woods with me!

MaggieBuddy.jpg

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I don't trophy hunt either I hunt to put meat up, I love having fried deer tenderloin. But when you get a big buck it makes it so much better and gets your adrenaline running alot faster.

No doubt! I just never got a decent shot at a trophy buck, so by default I am a freezer filler:) If he ever gives me a good shot, I will take it.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Rabbit! I've got two Beagles that will run a rabbit down with a quickness! Well, the old lady can't so much any more, but the younger one, Buddy, sure can! I think I had more fun training them than I did actually hunting with them!

Turkey is something I'll still hunt. They're so hard to get, especially with a bow, that it makes it so much of a challenge, I've kept my interest in it. Fort Campbell, KY. has some of the most prolific wild turkey flocks! And they allow civilians to come on post all season to hunt them. They often are the cause of bird strikes around the post while the helicopter guys are training. I've had one go right through my rotor system before, not thinking it would fly above 10', I cleared us to land as a flock was going absolutely confused ass ape shit. Left a nice dent on the leading edge of a blade.

My Beagles will still bring me squirrels too. They eat the heads and leave me the rest. The old lady not so much now a days, but Buddy will.

The old girl, Maggie, is on the left. Buddy on the right. Both ready to go for a walk through the woods with me!

MaggieBuddy.jpg

I got rid of my beagles a couple years ago but like you said I had more fun training them than actually hunting with them sometimes, now I just go out and jump em. As for the turkey hunting with a bow it's fun as hell, I've killed 2 with bow and used a guillotine. It's crazy in person to see those things work in person.
No doubt! I just never got a decent shot at a trophy buck, so by default I am a freezer filler:) If he ever gives me a good shot, I will take it.

I take little ones some years just because the meat is more tender than the bigger bucks. And when I kill nice ones I always want to mount them and that gets expensive lol

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I got rid of my beagles a couple years ago but like you said I had more fun training them than actually hunting with them sometimes, now I just go out and jump em. As for the turkey hunting with a bow it's fun as hell, I've killed 2 with bow and used a guillotine. It's crazy in person to see those things work in person.

I take little ones some years just because the meat is more tender than the bigger bucks. And when I kill nice ones I always want to mount them and that gets expensive lol

I tried the guillotines once. They got snagged on everything, Fort Campbell still has some rough foliage that time of year, you can't effectively shoot through foliage with them and, I think I drew more of my own blood with them than turkey blood. Plus I had to tune my frikkin bow for them. Used them one year and sold them. I did take a strutter with one once though and you're right, they are a sight to behold in action. I think there was 1/8" of skin holding the head on.

I've been using Rocket Hammerheads ever since. 3 blades with a 2" cut makes for some fine shooting. And I've made good at 30yds with them. Best of all? No re-tuning the bow for deer.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back