Defeating traction control with the track pack

BTM

Reaction score
Part of the track package on 13-14 GT's is something called "unique ESC module tuning." I'm concerned with defeating the whole system on cars with the track pack.

It appears as if I don't have to go through the whole "stop the car, foot on the brake, hold button for 6 seconds" procedure with the track pack. I can be driving 20, 5, 60, whatever, hit the button (no holding) and the car tells me "advancetrac off."

While it doesn't seem like it, I've only been able to try and test for any differences in a less than ideal environment (the street). Can anyone confirm that there is no difference between putting the traction control off while stopped, foot on the brake, hold for 6 sec, and simply punching the button any other time? The message displayed is the same for both methods. Searched and consulted my manual, and didn't come up with anything.

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
I never heard of the 6 seconds. I can turn mine off and on on the fly, but then again, I've got a 12. There is the option for sport mode, which requires you to depress the brake pedal while hitting the Traction Control button twice to activate the Sport Mode.

BTM

Reaction score
Interesting. I was reading the Vorhslag thread (or post by them) where it mentioned the only way they could completely defeat it in their 11 was to pull off, and depress the brake holding the button for 6 seconds. So I played around with it in my car yesterday and couldn't tell the difference between turning it off using either method.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. Although I thought it was five seconds. As far as I know on the 11-12 doing it on the fly only puts it in sport mode or something. The only way I can totally turn mine off is holding the brake down for five and pushing the button, which I do every time I start my car.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I never heard of the 6 seconds. I can turn mine off and on on the fly, but then again, I've got a 12. There is the option for sport mode, which requires you to depress the brake pedal while hitting the Traction Control button twice to activate the Sport Mode.

Just out of curiosity what happens to your car when u push on the brake and hold the button for 5-6 secs?

downhome

Reaction score
As I understand it there are four possible settings for the Advance trac system.

1) Pressing the button once will turn off Traction Control (TCS) but leave on Electronic Stability Control (ESC).

2) Applying the brake while pressing the button twice will engage Sport Mode (if equipped). Not sure how to tell if the car is equipped without trying this. It should say Sport Mode on the Info Center. Mt GT Premium does.

3) Applying the brake while holding the button down for at least 5 seconds turns off both TCS and ESC.

4) Normal mode (both TCS and ESC are active) which is default every time the car is started.

Owners manual page 209 explains it.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/11musog3e.pdf

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
As I understand it there are four possible settings for the Advance trac system.

1) Pressing the button once will turn off Traction Control (TCS) but leave on Electronic Stability Control (ESC).

2) Applying the brake while pressing the button twice will engage Sport Mode (if equipped). Not sure how to tell if the car is equipped without trying this. It should say Sport Mode on the Info Center. Mt GT Premium does.

3) Applying the brake while holding the button down for at least 5 seconds turns off both TCS and ESC.

4) Normal mode (both TCS and ESC are active) which is default every time the car is started.

That ^^^ is how my '13 Track Pack works

BTM

Reaction score
That's what I came to understand as well, though it doesn't say anything specific for the track package. I'm curious to know the specifics of the different "module tuning" as Ford puts it. It's even harder to tell if stability control is still on. I've gotten the car sideways with both TC and ESC on.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This is correct.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I came to understand as well, though it doesn't say anything specific for the track package. I'm curious to know the specifics of the different "module tuning" as Ford puts it. It's even harder to tell if stability control is still on. I've gotten the car sideways with both TC and ESC on.

I know mine is a '10 but I can get my car sideways and/or burn rubber with the TC/ESC on, but doing so will help you get new rear brakes if you're looking for them. Just depress the brakes and hold the button for 5 sec and turn it off....you won't hurt the system or brakes by doing so

BTM

Reaction score
Alright. Between this thread and looking around further I guess the track package doesn't alter the methods of turning the systems completely off. I thought perhaps they coded in an easier defeat option as by their own accord it's marketed as track options. Thanks for all the replies

DTL

forum member
Reaction score

This is the same way my '13 Track Package GT works as well.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah that's what I thought...that's how my 11 is.

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
TCS_zps317a563e.jpg

I stand corrected...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
attachment.php

Attachments

• Advancetrak-modes.jpg
    Advancetrak-modes.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 290

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
To truly disable AdvanceTrac features entirely you have to pull the ESC fuse (#34 in the passenger side panel). Even after the "5-second" button routine there are still active sensors that can cut the throttle if you hit a certain angle/force/speed. I've encountered this on certain tracks' corners, it's irritating, but perhaps it has saved my ass. I'm debating about whether to try it fuseless one of these track days.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
How much different is turning Advantrac Off compared to just turning off the TCS?

Can't say I've really played with the different modes. Usually just turn off the TCS when I want to jump on it a little.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Turning off advancetrac = no nannies, you are driving the vehicle on your own. If you get out-of-line, it's up to you to save the car.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Ah. Pretty much what I had figured. Might have to try it out and see how much different it is.

Whats the point of Sport Mode if it doesnt disable anything?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back