Detailing decals ?

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Getting ready to detail my truck and was wondering what can and can't you do to the decals. Are you able to clay bar them and wax them like you do the rest of the car? or do you just leave them alone?

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
If the decal has a flat finish, cover it with painter's tape and just clean it with soap and water. There are QD spray that's designed to clean and provide UV protection without making the decal shiny.

If the decal is glossy, you should be able to wax right over it. Just be careful about wax build up at the edges. Wash with soap and water should be all the prep that's needed. I personally would not clay bar or polish over the decal. I don't think the finish is as tough as the clear coat on the car and may scratches more easily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I always wax right over my matte pit stripes and they still look good as new

I wouldn't.

If the decal has a flat finish, cover it with painter's tape and just clean it with soap and water. There are QD spray that's designed to clean and provide UV protection without making the decal shiny.

If the decal is glossy, you should be able to wax right over it. Just be careful about wax build up at the edges. Wash with soap and water should be all the prep that's needed. I personally would not clay bar or polish over the decal. I don't think the finish is as tough as the clear coat on the car and may scratches more easily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

This.

Chemical guys has a line of protection, detail sprays and washes for matte finishes and decals.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know. What are some good ways to wax n clay in between the decals. You see the small 2 lines around the big graphic. How does one clay and wax the white part.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know. What are some good ways to wax n clay in between the decals. You see the small 2 lines around the big graphic. How does one clay and wax the white part.

little foam brushes.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Yup- i removed the decals LOL. one of them already had a rock chip in it and looked horrible. So i figured in the long run itll be easier to keep up and not worry about decals. Plus the car had massive over spray from a neighbor spraying his house and removing the decal was definitely a easy way to clean that area up. Truck definitely looks different now but i think itll be sweet once i lift her up.

btw ford wants 1600 just for the decal...this had me thinking more that i should have left it on but oh well now lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back