Detailing Questions-Answered

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Glaze is basically a cheater product IMO. It primarily fills in scratches and adds oils to the finish to make it look good. I don't use Glaze, personally. I'd rather have the paint corrected and not just covered up. After you wash the car a time or two the swirls will come back and it will look bad again with a glaze

It's good for hiding stuff if you don't feel like polishing the swirls out. Most Glazes do not offer any protection and they are safe to use on fresh paint. I say most of them, because some companies call stuff "Glaze" that is not really glaze, just like with waxes and sealants.

Glaze is for sure not a necessary step for having a good finish.

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
Glaze is basically a cheater product IMO. It primarily fills in scratches and adds oils to the finish to make it look good. I don't use Glaze, personally. I'd rather have the paint corrected and not just covered up. After you wash the car a time or two the swirls will come back and it will look bad again with a glaze

It's good for hiding stuff if you don't feel like polishing the swirls out. Most Glazes do not offer any protection and they are safe to use on fresh paint. I say most of them, because some companies call stuff "Glaze" that is not really glaze, just like with waxes and sealants.

Glaze is for sure not a necessary step for having a good finish.

Thanks dks happy I didn't buy any then. Just got done clay barring the car.

-Aaron

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
So I did my car over and the Black Fire WD is the shit. Have two coats and it looks great!

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
DKS is right for the most part. I still use a glaze even with a 95-100% corrected finish. I feel like it adds some depth to the paint.

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
Hey dks i finally finish my car last night and when bring a light to it I still see quite a bit of micro scratches. Believe me the car looks great but is their anyway i can get those scratches out? I already used compound.
-Aaron

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
Yes by hand. I used alot if elbow grease. It is smooth and looks great i just wonder when using a polisher like the porter cable if it take out everything.
-Aaron

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Yes by hand. I used alot if elbow grease. It is smooth and looks great i just wonder when using a polisher like the porter cable if it take out everything.
-Aaron

I'm sure it would. I can't imagine actually trying to polish a car by hand. I mean you can dig a grave with a spoon, but a shovel is better and a Back-hoe is ideal.

You're using a spoon my friend. A PC is a Shovel, a big shovel. And a rotary is a back-hoe, lol

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
All clean ready for the great weather this weekend!!!
DSC01262.jpg
DSC01267.jpg
DSC01263.jpg
DSC01265.jpg
DSC01266.jpg

Vbshelbygt

Doug's Speed Shop
Reaction score
Thanks dude it's looking much better thanks to you and all your info

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Any advice on how to get swirl marks out of the car?

Yep, just buff them out using a real buffer and some M105 if they are bad and follow it up with some M205. If they aren't too bad you can use some swirl x or ultimate compound and follow it up with M205 if you really want it to finish out nicely. The key is to use a real buffer like a PC 7424 at minimum. It will take forever doing it by hand and even longer if you're trying to use a cheap wal-mart buffer, if you can even pull it off with one of those, which you probably can't. They don't make enough friction to even accomplish anything other than applying wax or sealant.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll going to jump to the end here and ask what pad do i use on light scratches and swirls for the Porter Cable buffer?

Back