Did some painting. iPhone pics.

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to paint my grill black and I finally got around to it. I sanded-primed-sanded 3 times. Then started the painting-sanding-painting process. Did that 6 times and this is the result. The finish is actually pretty smooth, but I can see it chipping in the future. I just need it to hold up until after summer until I can get a Bullitt grill. The pony is on the wrong side. By the time I got done yesterday I didn't have the energy to swap it over. I will be getting to that this week some time. I also added a Super Snake Hood stripe a few weeks ago.
Yes the pics are crappy, my girl has my camera.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
this was the first grille i had on my car when i got it and did the same to it as you did.it looks great.to help stop chipping,go pick up some clear coat finish as well from auto zone made by krylon.i used a whole can(maybe 10 coats) and it def worked. good job.black looks so much better and transitions into those black stripes really well!

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
p.s. dont worry about removing grille again, just tape over the surrounding area to save you headache of removal.i used newspaper and then taped edges with painters 3m green tape.

Reaction score
Can you PM me or post a little better write up, please? I am wanting to do this to my grille and its the aluminum silver one from shelby.

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
Can you PM me or post a little better write up, please? I am wanting to do this to my grille and its the aluminum silver one from shelby.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics during the process because my fiancee' has our camera. I will give you a run down of what I did, feel free to PM me any specific questions.

Paint used: Valspar primer, Valspar black for metal
Sandpaper: 220 and 320 grit

1. I removed the grill from the car and removed it from the housing. I forgot to buy painter's tape so I did it the longer way.

2. I started wet sanding the grill with the 220. I started going with the groove of the grill (laterally) then switched to going in circular motions. I honestly cannot remember how long I sanded for, but it was at least 20-30 minutes. I then switched to the 320 grit and went back to laterally sanding it.

3. After I felt I had smoothed it as best as possible, I put down a lite coat of primer.

4. I let that dry then repeated step 3 twice to make sure I got a good base.

5. After my last coat of primer I let it dry then started sanding (not wet sanding) with the 320 grit. I felt that was the best way to smooth the grill out and create a good surface for the paint to stick to. I sanded for about 30 minutes then began the painting.

6. Each coat I painted one the grill, I painted as if it were going to be the last. I would put down a coat of black then repeat step 5. I did that about 5 or 6 times until I felt satisfied with the way it felt after it dried. I could tell a difference in the texture of the grill after each sand and coat.

7. Re-install

I will also recommend putting a coat of clear on it to help stop it from chipping. I will be doing that sometime this week if I have time.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
nice car man! get some A47 turn mirrors on their and it will slick!

kenny

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

nice car man! get some A47 turn mirrors on their and it will slick!

Yeah I hinted that to my fiancee' for a future birthday present. I would like to get some and try painting them myself. problem would be getting my paint color matched in a spray can.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back