Diff Vent/Breather Hose Location

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
Due to puking gear oil out the rear axle vent, I am planning on installing a beather/vent tank in the trunk with a hose from the axle vent up to the can which will be mounted right rear up high.
For those of you that have done this, I was wondering where you thought was the best place to come up through the trunk floor with the hose to avoid proximity to the exhaust and hose binding with movement of the axle.
If possible, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Here's what I did- the catch can is just a catch can I found at a circle track/drag race supply store with a fitting on the top and bottom. I routed the hoses through a pre-existing grommet in the trunk floor. I used AN fittings in the trunk just because I really didn't want a link. Probably overkill but it looks cool. The fitting on the axle is a 3/8" NPT 90 degree with a barb. Be sure that the line vents back outside the car- you can see in my picture where I've zip-tied the vent line (off the top of the catch can) to the sway bar bushing mount. Also, make sure the gear oil can drain back into the axle. Some of the catch can setups I've seen will fill up the catch can, and it will just stay full, which kind of defeats the purpose and will still lead to things getting overheated.

11410629274_7355e38a36_b.jpg

11410742063_3e6b633b89_b.jpg

Last edited:

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
That's pretty similar to what I'm doing:

0511141850_zps1d776541.jpg

I forget what I zip-tied the hose to before going into the trunk, but I made sure to give it a lot of slack. I also covered the hose with a heat-reflective sleeve near the exhaust, but I think that's overkill. To route it, I drilled a hole in the trunk directly above the diff and used a grommet to seal it.

Also, the threads in my axle were definitely not NPT. csamsh, were yours tapped? I used this fitting to adapt to an NPT barb fitting: http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=SS-4-SAE-7-4

Since I have a vent inside my trunk, I was originally worried about smelling fumes. Fortunately, it's never been an issue even after stripping out the interior. I imagine the baffling and large volume in the catch can help with that.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, drilled and tapped. Original threads got killed taking Ford's fitting out

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
The 8.8 has two locations for venting. Only one is used from the factory. Some of the cars have a vented diff cover. We plug these whenever using a breather kit.
The second location is on the axle tube, and this is our preferred spot for the vent line. It is a -4AN fitting that screws in, so there is no need to tap the housing so long as you haven't already chewed up the threads.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any leaks since moving the vent to the the top of the differential cover. Spent about the same $$ for the cover, plus now draining is easier
85eb04a2391381cd5072ce4d53c022ad.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda mounts their catch can in the trunk..and have some pix on their site. They make a separate driver's side /pass side catch can. I used the bob's motorsports version, which on a 2010, hose is on the pass side oem vent. Plenty of slack to account for the suspension. Forget the ford turkey baster.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why do you prefer to use the vent on the axle tube as opposed to on the diff cover?

Also less oil slung up into the vent.

Steeda mounts their catch can in the trunk..and have some pix on their site...

That Steeda breather exhausts lube fumes into the trunk. That's a no-go for me as it's inappropriate for anything but a gutted race car.

Steeda Breather: http://www.steeda.com/mustang-rear-right-axle-catch-can-555-3720/
555-3720-1.jpg

The breather should be sealed to the outside. Here you can see the breather line (feed line) and the overflow line that allows the fumes to exit the car.
DSC_1614-M.jpg

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The breather should be sealed to the outside. Here you can see the breather line (feed line) and the overflow line that allows the fumes to exit the car.

DSC_1614-M.jpg

Man it's almost like I try to copy what you guys do or something...

claudermilk

Reaction score
This is the reason I went with the Bob's Autosport can. It just bolts a sizable can up by the UCA mount using little stock breather vent and a hose down to the axle tube hole with a fitting. Keeps the venting outside the cabin, and if you are pushing enough oil to blow out up there, you have other issues. Seems like a simpler, more viable solution for a dual-purpose car.

BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690
Reaction score
This is the reason I went with the Bob's Autosport can. It just bolts a sizable can up by the UCA mount using little stock breather vent and a hose down to the axle tube hole with a fitting. Keeps the venting outside the cabin, and if you are pushing enough oil to blow out up there, you have other issues. Seems like a simpler, more viable solution for a dual-purpose car.

Yeah I went with the JLTaxle expansion tank also uses the stock breather, bolts up near the uca and keeps it out side, do you guys get the diff oil smell inside the cabin?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back