difference on body of ign. coil from early to late plugs?

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
So I tried a search for "ignition coil" here and in the tech forum, and didn't see an answer. The Ford Racing heads for a 3V instruct you to use the later coil packs, but when I eyeball the early and late style coils the body of them appears the same, just a difference in the boot length and possibly the length of the spring.

Anyone used the earlier coils with the late boots and spark plugs in the Ford Racing or other late style 3V heads?

thanks,

Ed

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read the will swap just fine with a boot swap
So when I replaced mine I ordered the newer style frpp set and then boot/springs off rock auto
Haven't gotten to firing it up but soon.....

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I've used early coils with late boots on my last 3V. It worked just fine. I swapped out from the old style heads to the new style heads, ordered $50 worth of boots, and kept right on rolling with the early coils.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped my car's coils to the truck to diagnose something. Then bought late style replacements to the car and boots. Saved big on buying 8 early coils

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The reason Ford Racing says to do that is because Ford only sells the coils complete.

-Steve

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Huh? Ford sells coil boots alone, the later ones are 8L3Z-12A402-A Motorcraft WR-6133.

You are correct, I knew they had them for old 2v stuff but I had it stuck in my head that they didn't for the 3V.

I hate it when I trust my brain and it lies to me. :whistle1:

-Steve

Back