Differentials--for corner carving

Kaldar142

Reaction score
most of the guys on here are drag racers, but what rear differential should i use to maximize my cornering capabilities? the stock one works fine but i feel like it could be working better.

i dont want to run anything that would hinder cornering performance, anyone have some suggestions?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to go with an expensive IRS conversion (which they do make for these cars), I believe people are just adding a watts link to the stock 8.8 rearend

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a Trutrak that I need to put in. I don't have super high power (560) so I figure it should give me the best of both worlds as I like road courses and drag strips for fun.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the stock one works fine, but I feel like it could be working better.

Your not serious are you? If the stock one works fine then you have no clue how well a torsen t2r is. It's not a option for road racing. it should be considered necessary. Like brakes and tires.

Check this place

www.on-trackperformance.com

GQ4Life

forum member
Reaction score
so stock lsd sucks..
ive seen some mustangs doing the one wheel wonder burnout..

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
packs are gone when you see the one wheel burnout.
When I swap to 4.10's a good LSD will be installed as well.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.quaife.co.uk/Ford-Mustang-live-axle-ATB-differential

Quaife makes a nice unit. Many of the Porsche and BMW guys are running these. I have no experience with them other than talking to guys running them in quick cars. OEM's use them too. Ford has one in their hot focus I think.

Quaife LSD are on par with the Torsen TR1 @ 2R'S but there housing are better in my opinion (alot stronger) thats why you can drag or road race with one while all Torsen products say no Drag racing because you will explode the housing .

For the money TrueTrac's are hard to beat for the 400.00 price point ....I think the next big difference would be in the noise factor from all these LSD. I have has Torsen units before but they did make some noise from the Torque loading and unloading of the LSD ... very slight but you did hear some rattlings from time to time .

The next mod I'm going to do is gears 3.55-3.73 and some type of LSD again ...I need to do some more homework about the noise factor in the TrueTrac @ The Quaife .... But do remember that I used the Original Torsen unit when it came out and the TR1 unit ....They have the tr2 out now which I heard is even better .

Kaldar142

Reaction score
hmmm... its quite expensive, while im all for putting high dollar parts on my car....... i'm leaning towards the truetrac

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
If you think long-term, it may not BE that expensive...

Dealing only in list prices, here's the breakdown from FRPP:

"Traction Lok" (essentially what we have now, IIRC) $299
Auburn: $485
"True Trac" (Sterling) $585 (full floating axles only, BTW)
Torson T2 $589 (only $4.00 more!)
Torson T2R (FR500S diff) $750

That makes the difference between the Sterling and the T2R a whopping $175.00, which is still going to be only a fraction of the install cost, unless you can DIY. Unless you do (or have done) rear axles on a pretty regular basis, it's pretty easy to trash a $200 ring/pinion set, so honestly, if the real net difference is between $1100 and $1275, it's not that big of a difference. Pick the one you WANT, and just do that one. If you have to save for an extra whole WEEK to make up the $175 difference, so what. At least then you'll NEVER worry about having made the right choice. It's kind of like doing a forged bottom end, and then skimping on the rods to save a hundred or so... Penny wise, pound foolish.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Trac-Lock and True Trac both clutch-based diffs? If that's the case also factor in that they'll wear out sooner or later and will require rebuilding. You'll get a much longer service life and performance out of the gear-based diffs and they won't require friction additives either..all for what is frankly a minimal increase in up-front cost.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
So how exactly will I benefit from an upgraded Diff?

I would assume better traction, but is it better traction in corners? I was having issues with rear traction coming out of corners, is this something this will help improve or is it driver related?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
in short . Capability to immediately respond to variable road conditions . it not only provides better traction, it also enhances the general performance of a vehicle. There is a marked improvement in total tractive effort as compared to open or conventional limited-slip differential equipped vehicles. In addition, it also allows the engine's torque output to be used more effectively, delivering more horsepower to the road.

If your going to be serious about road racing it's a must. I was shocked in the difference from when I switched .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back