DiMora's Gauge Install - how-to: SOS pods, Autometer Shift Light, Interceptor

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Someone asked me to do a write-up on my gauge install...so here goes.

Big picture: You need a place to mount them. Popular options are the SOS pillar pods, the SOS, Saleen, or other branded center-dash pods, and of course the Roush air-vent pods.

I chose the SOS 3-pod pillar mounting option, which perfectly matches my interior.

Getting all the parts was a hassle: Jegs sent me a boost gauge that was mis-calibrated (it was on 1.5 PSI or so, which was unsat) so I had to exchange it; Stage 3 Motorsports said the 3 gauge pillar was "shipping from their other warehouse" but it drop-shipped direct from SOS, and when it arrived, it was a two-pod pillar...so I sent it back to SOS, and they forgot about it on account of a funeral, but eventually I got it all sorted out. For the Pièce de résistance, I ordered an AeroForce Interceptor from Maryland Speed, which was supposed to drop-ship from AeroForce, and it took 19 days to get in stock...it arrived yesterday - with a scratched lens and missing the silver bezel. I can't win.

I swear I am going to open up my own parts business and do things right. Real human tech support and the whole nine yards...AeroForce has no number anywhere to contact them...not on the box, in the instructions, on the website, etc. I e-mailed them, and their response was "will do". No "sorry about that, etc. I suppose you can be that way when you make awesome accessories that are in such great demand they are back-ordered.

Anyway, there is not much to it...so here we go.

I needed the following connections for the gauges I chose, and I will show where I sourced each of them:

• +12V switched power - back of radio: Gray / Yellow Pin 2 on the J1/C290D connector
  • ~12V variable dimmer power (dash lighting circuit): Black / yellow striped wire behind factory headlight / foglamp rotary switch
  • Chassis Ground - bolt adjacent to factory headlight switch
  • Boost line - direct to vacuum line that runs from the IPTS sensor on the fuel rail to the intake manifold.
  • Coil trigger
  • OBD-II connection
  • Dimming rheostat

Pics:

12V switched:

(I skipped showing behind the radio for the switched 12V which is pretty standard stuff. As always, all my connections are soldered and heat-shrunk, with no splices or add-a-fuses:

Dimmer:

Look for the red wire I added going into the heat-shrink and mating with the black wire with a white stripe - that is your dimmer adjustable 12V power:

IMG_6907-vi.jpg

IMG_6908-vi.jpg

Chassis ground:

I used the bolt you see directly below my multi-meter - you see a white wire with black heat-shrink going to it:

IMG_6910-vi.jpg

Boost line:

I stole this picture from Matt Henry on FnSweet...it is easier to see than mine is since I have a TVS. Thanks, Matt. Mine is identical, and I can provide a pic later if needed or if Matt doesn't want me harvesting his pics...

photo2-2.jpg

Coil trigger:

Most guys use the #8 coil plug, but with my TVS supercharger, #7 was easier to get to. You can use any of them. I used the number 7 coil-on-plug wire that was NOT red. I couldn't tell the color since it was faded, but it does have a stripe. I used #7 instead of #8 since it was easier to get to without removing the TVS intake and GT500 throttle body. #7 is on the driver's side and is the second cylinder from the firewall. I didn't take a pic because it was so tight I could barely fit my hands in there. In my case, that wire feeds the green "trigger" wire on my AutoMeter shift light.

The OBD-II connection is self-explanatory, and the AeroForce comes with the necessary cable. Plug and -play - almost - I'll get to that in a minute.

And the dimming rheostat...I needed it for my AutoMeter NV series boost gauge...and it was so bright it looked like a Martian Attack from the fast and furious...so I bought this:

photo-vi.jpg

One black wire goes to ground on it (same chassis ground bolt described above), the violet wire goes to your dimmer wire (black with white stripe as described above) and the output (white wire from the rheostat) goes to the +12V lighting wire on the back of the gauge or gauges you wish to adjust brightness on.

For my boost gauge, I needed a 90 degree fitting to prevent kinking my boost line:

photo3-vi.jpg

So...I ran all the wires through the SOS pillar pod and down through the dash:

IMG_6911-vi.jpg

That covers all the physical connections.

I wrapped electrical tape around each gauge to get a snug fit in the SOS pod, then I snapped it into place.

The re-installation of the SOS pillar is as easy as the OEM piece, since it is actually a modified OEM Ford piece. Mine was missing the cardboard rectangular stand-off, so I harvested the one from my original piece and hot-melt glued it in place. If you do this install, you will see what piece I mean. The SOS piece literally snaps in position.

Finished images:

IMG_6913-vi.jpg

Night-style:

IMG_6918-vi.jpg

SHIFT!!!!!!

IMG_6920-vi.jpg

IMG_6919-vi.jpg

So...why did I choose what I chose?

1) I like an analog, mechanical needle-style boost gauge vs. a digital one. I had one on my Dodge Omni GLH Turbo when I was 17. Tradition. The NV series was the closest I could find to the Roush "IndiGlo" dash cluster. It doesn't match, but it is close enough.

2) I could have used the shift-light feature of the AeroForce, or added a Raptor-claw, but I have a tube-style AutoMeter Digital Pro Shift System level 2 on my rice-burning 170 RWHP Superbike with air shifter, and I love it - so I wanted one on the 'Stang since it is what I am comfortable with. It has progressive warning if you put it in "run" mode (easily set into run if you push the right then left face buttons) and full time regualr bright light when not in run mode, it has multiple programmable shift points, short-shift auto gear change sequential advance if you drop 450 RPM during a run, over-rev flash, launch mode, changeable color selection (6 colors), Peak RPM recall, adjustable brightness. It rules. It requires a trigger set point (Pulses Per revolution) of .5 in the setup menu to do its thing.

3) The AeroForce Interceptor: I went with model CNF501 - again, to match the "green theme" as best I could. What can be said about the AeroForce - it does it all displays any OBD-II parameter the cars PCM sees. Pretty cool. There are two analog input wires on the AeroForce; I ran long extensions on those and zip-tied them under the car for future use.

I own an Innovate Motorsports Wideband setup already (on my SuperBike) and I have the bike jetted, so I may pull it and put it on the Stang, or I may just add the Bosch wideband adapter from AeroForce. If I harvest it off my bike, it will go in a Roush vent pod.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Sigh... Mods, I feel bad for you sometimes...

Errr...what does that mean? Did I break a rule? Wrong section? If you have something to say, then say it!

A gauge install with wire colors, pictures of where to tap boost / vac line, what color coil trigger to tap, etc. is about as "tech" as you can get. It falls under "actual wrenching I did myself" as the sticky states it should contain.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just bustin your balls welcome to the site lol

Its a nice post with pics and will be a nice addition to the diy section.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Nice write-up, I'll use it when I install my Prosport halo gauges in the SOS pillar pod.

Turbostangs90

forum member
Reaction score
So I have a question about the Aeroforce...I see where you said there was 2 analog input wires that you left under the hood for future use. When you add a sensor such as Fuel Pressure or Wideband, the added sensor would use 1 of these input wires but I see where aeroforce sells these 5v regulated power supplys and the add a circuits for their sensors. Im guessing one of these is needed to supply power to the added sensor, correct? I havent seen much detail on this yet so I am asking.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
So I have a question about the Aeroforce...I see where you said there was 2 analog input wires that you left under the hood for future use. When you add a sensor such as Fuel Pressure or Wideband, the added sensor would use 1 of these input wires but I see where aeroforce sells these 5v regulated power supplys and the add a circuits for their sensors. Im guessing one of these is needed to supply power to the added sensor, correct? I havent seen much detail on this yet so I am asking.

That is correct. I am using one of them now for a dedicated air temp sensor in my air intake tube, just prior to the throttle body. Still have one vacant for a future sensor addition.

detn8tor

Reaction score
Dimora !!
What ground did you use...In your pics you said its the one underneath the multi but i see a tons of wires under there...And also when you tapped into your fuel line for the boost gauge did you clamp both ends on the " T" ? Thanks brother!!

Brett

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Dimora !!
What ground did you use...In your pics you said its the one underneath the multi but i see a tons of wires under there...And also when you tapped into your fuel line for the boost gauge did you clamp both ends on the " T" ? Thanks brother!!

Brett

fallow the red wire from the volt meter down, to the left of it there is a bolt with two black wires coming off of it in the form of a V. that is a ground. that is the one he is talking about.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
fallow the red wire from the volt meter down, to the left of it there is a bolt with two black wires coming off of it in the form of a V. that is a ground. that is the one he is talking about.

Correct. You can see both a black and a white wire coming off of the bolt - they are both ground (Roush used a white wire for the OEM foglight ground).

You can also see my ground location in the top-right corner of the first image in my initial post. It is a big bolt mounted to the steel of the dash assembly.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Dimora !!

Brett

It isn't really the fuel line, it is the rubber line that runs off of the IPTS (Injection Pressure Temp Sensor) - which indeed sits on the fuel line - but no, no clamps are necessary. You can use the proper diameter vacuum line and barbed fittings (plastic or brass) and you will be in good shape.

They also make silicone vacuum line which is quite nice if you are joining two pieces of hard-line vacuum / boost tubing; my Snow Performance meth setup came with a length of that line; I plan on buying more. You wouldn't want to use it stand-alone, but it is great for end-butting hard-line.

Back