DIY: Brake Cooler scoops

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very good point

I have been monitoring my Wideband and there is no change in the A/F at WOT at high speeds, not enough pressure direct into the the intake. it you funneled it into a stock air bix they I woulod say it's possable but with an open CAI, no.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
well all that air has to pass through the MAF anyways, so it will pick up on that. doesnt matter were it comes from, it all goes through the MAF. i dont know how your guys IAT's are so hot just cruising. mine are within 10* of ambient air when im just cruising down the highway.

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score
i wonder if the extra air will make it run leaner since more air is been pushed in.

"more air" isn't "really" getting "pushed" in lol

it's COLDER air......mainly.....better ambient temps also....
Yes, there is a stream of air being thrown at the filter....but no it's not at a high enough pressure that the CPU won't be able to compensate for ;)

No drawbacks as far as i can tell :)

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"more air" isn't "really" getting "pushed" in lol

it's COLDER air......mainly.....better ambient temps also....
Yes, there is a stream of air being thrown at the filter....but no it's not at a high enough pressure that the CPU won't be able to compensate for ;)

No drawbacks as far as i can tell :)

No draw backs as for me, I notice lower AIT temps and better response
because my AIT temps are not through the roof..

And the other plus is you can set them up as brake coolers
I Found a good set of hoses for this DIY
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=731507#post731507

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I did something like this. I will post up pics in a separate thread at some point. I didn't see the results you got. In STOCK form (factory airbox) I would see a differential of only 4 degrees over ambient without the scoops. I did my testing on the interstate at 65mph. With my scoop installed I only saw about a 2-3 temp drop in temperature. It would hover around one or two degrees over ambient depending on my speed. I guess what I'm getting at is yes the mod works, BUT it works pretty damn good from the factory as well. MAYBE if all I did was go 35mph I would have seen different results, I'm not sure.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the exact science behind it, but what does this do with the pressure on the hood at higher speeds? Will it stay the same or increase?

From what I can gather there's actually a vacuum under the hood, not positive pressure. This is evident by people have used cowl hoods and taped slim pieces of paper to the edge of the cowl (nearest to the windshield) and the pieces of paper were being sucked in the hood. Reason being is all the air that goes under the car creates sorta like a venturi effect.

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score
I picked up all the pieces I need to do this....just waiting on a warmer day to start :)
Total for all the parts....FREE ;p
I work for a detail shop and we have an abundance of all of these parts.....asked the boss if i could take home a few pieces and he said yes!

I'm pretty stoked!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone else do this? please share your experience.. I am interested in what others have come up with

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
From what I can gather there's actually a vacuum under the hood, not positive pressure. This is evident by people have used cowl hoods and taped slim pieces of paper to the edge of the cowl (nearest to the windshield) and the pieces of paper were being sucked in the hood. Reason being is all the air that goes under the car creates sorta like a venturi effect.

Not a vacuum, per se, but there's a high pressure spot on the hood near the windshield. If you look at the old Chevelles, they used a cowl-induction system (glorified moving vent pointed towards the windshield) in order to take advantage of this higher pressure.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
ill add, i used subwoofer speaker ports in 3" size with a flange instead of the vacuum tube.
here is my parts list and a small write up:
(2) 3"x4.125" subwoofer port tubes
(2) 3"x6' flex hose tubing
(2) worm type clamps
1 tube of black RTV
1 3" hole saw

drill the lower grille on a GT bumper at the far ends where there is the "faux" mesh. cut the 3" speaker tubes down to 2" since the 4" length is a little long. rtv the back side of the flange and insert into the fresh 3" cut in the lower grille.
jack up the car and get under neath, RTV the back side around where the grill meets the bumper cover just to give a little extra protection. slide on 3" flex hose onto speaker tube and zip tie into place around k member, frame rail and finally to the tie rod at the spindle. make sure not to crush tubing but to make it secure enough to not move or fall off.
turn on car and turn wheels lock to lock to make sure tubing not rubbing wheel/tire assembly. also grab small can of compressed air, have some one spray compressed air into front lower grille opening where speaker tube was inserted and you feel how they work at the wheel when air rushes at you.

port tubes
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_125M1702/Port-Tube.html?search=port+tubes

tubing
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/3-x-10-Flexible-Hose/G1674

total is about $60 and works great for most cars....

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
Then use a Dremal and a utility knife to open up the honey comb located on the lower grill.
Tip, Use a metal file to get rid of the burrs and a nail emery board will buff the plastic to a nice semi gloss.

ColdAirRam2.jpg

Please elaborate. I'm confused... I want to do a similar thing, but more of the honeycomb cut out for brake cooling ducts.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Please elaborate. I'm confused... I want to do a similar thing, but more of the honeycomb cut out for brake cooling ducts.

If you have a wife/gf ask them for what you bolded.
Its what they use after working on their nails

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, now I get it, that foam nail file crap.

I dont think mygirlfriend will notice if I borrow it real quick...

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
just got finished with mine.. cost me about 15 at home depot for some tube, and i bought a white flexible pipe with screw ends.. still need to paint it since this is the part that gets seen.

didnt paint the white flex pipe black yet

feae4bce.jpg

d7e3b44e.jpg

2293c8bb.jpg

86c04677.jpg

cd2f6045.jpg

Last edited:

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
If you send me a pm I'll send you enough of that tube I used for cheaper than you could get it at home depot

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
the best one on here i see is the ones you can get for a shop vac. i'm thinking 2 of them on each side. one going to the filter and the other for the brakes. ziptieing them to the front of the grill looks kinda getto though

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What exactly are the scoops that connect to the tubing?

I took the Car Vac Tool and cut the end and melted them
closed to form a scoop that fit the opening.
VacCartool.jpg

ColdAirram6.jpg

I made a mistake, I should have offset the hole in the scoop
and not center it. Like This.

Holeposition.jpg

This will help to clear the metal on the drivers side scoop
ColdAirram9.jpg

Make sure you use Stainless Steel screws
ColdAirRam3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back