DIY making an in car laptop stand

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well after searching ebay and the internet for laptop stand I couldn't believe how much they cost! it's ridiculous so I made my own from scratch. I just want to be able to have my laptop when datalogging.

Flat metal tray and parts from a Directv dish satellite, lol
DSCF0303.jpg

DSCF0304.jpg

Drilled 4 holes on the tray and mounted the swivel thing.
DSCF0305.jpg

Tada! and the tray swivels!
DSCF0307.jpg

DSCF0308.jpg

I'm going to paint the tray with truck bed liner coating to make it non skid and most like add some velcro straps to hold the laptop secure. Next up is making a bracket to mount the base just like this one:

Thanks to Barricade at TMS for the pic
2011-01-17121839.jpg

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I like how you are using existing holes / hardware for mounting. Most people would just drill a couple of holes but your way is better thought out. One question though, do you think the lack of a 3rd point of contact will make it want to rock froward to backward? .

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes, but how much is the direct TV mount? lol

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
I like how you are using existing holes / hardware for mounting. Most people would just drill a couple of holes but your way is better thought out. One question though, do you think the lack of a 3rd point of contact will make it want to rock froward to backward? .

That's a good question, I had to take the 2 locking bolts on the swivel part to make the tray flat and the other 2 bolts on the swivel somewhat hold it together and keeping it from tilting but! my solution is to put like a piece of metal strip on the 3rd point and use 2 bolts to lock it back in place which will keep it from tilting.

lol I found the dish a long side of the road, trash night!:naughty1:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
That's a good question, I had to take the 2 locking bolts on the swivel part to make the tray flat and the other 2 bolts on the swivel somewhat hold it together and keeping it from tilting but! my solution is to put like a piece of metal strip on the 3rd point and use 2 bolts to lock it back in place which will keep it from tilting.

lol I found the dish a long side of the road, trash night!:naughty1:

I actually have two brand new systems in boxes. Well one now actually because I made a wifi antenna out of the other one. The reason I have them is a friend gave them to me after pulling the cards that were in them :)

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
^ that's nice!! is the stand welded at the end?

I painted the tray with that truck bed coating and it came out really nice. Trying to figure out on how to mount the base

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
yeah,its one solid piece. if i ever get around to it, i plan to cut the post it down low and weld a dowl into the end and drill a hole in it for a cotter pin....so all i have to do when i want it in is just insert the dowl into the lower half and put the cotter pin in.....leaving the base part in the car at all times.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
I just stick mine to the windshield with a suction cup ..............

digdash4.jpg

digdash5.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back