DIY smoke machine to help you find small leaks

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Ive been wanting one of these machines for some time. Great for finding any sort of small leaks. You wouldn't think they would be a arm and a leg.....but they are usually over $1k.....

I found a few ideas on line how to build a simple working one......

The way it works: using a glow plug and a power supply from a old PC, it will heat up mineral oil ( actually using baby oil, easy to find, makes my hands soft and smells good!)to around 350-450 degrees. As it heats it will turn into white smoke. Using a air compressor set to approx 5 PSI it will force the smoke out of the hose nozzle. I will be using a cheap PC power supply to power the glow plug, it needs about 12 volts @ 10 amps.

I'm using a PVC glue can, washed it out with acetone to get it nice and clean. Mounting the glow plug in the bottom. Mounting 2 fittings in the side for compressed air and a outlet hose. All fittings sealed with plumbers solder.

Works great...takes about 3 minutes to start filling up my entire exhaust or my turbo piping/ intake......smoke is easy to spot and will pinpoint things FAST!

Parts:
60G AC Delco glow plug $8 ( only get the true AC Delco )
b8f48b08.jpg

Air regulator $20
616f7b73.jpg

PC power supply, free from any old computer
88330b85.jpg

PVC glue can, cleaned out with acetone $8
85fcdfb6.jpg

Cheap Tool Box to house everything $8
7793c6f1.jpg

Baby oil $3
17e6790f.jpg

Misc fitting and hose $15

Prepping the PC power supply: power supply will supply 12 volts @ 10 amps to the glow plug when turned on. I cut all the wires out of the power supply with the exception of these wires.

1)Yellow 12v will go to the glow plug
2)Green goes to one side of a toggle switch to turn the PS on/off
3)Any black to the other side of the toggle switch for turning on the PS
4)Any Black will be secured to the side of the can to ground the glow plug
5)Color may vary on this wire, mine was brown.On the big plug, there is a orange wire on the very corner that has another wire in the same slot of that plug, follow that wire back and solder it to that same orange wire.

When you get done should provide 12 volts on the yellow and black, should look similar to the picture below, although I have not added my switch for the PS at this point.
15ade351.jpg

Toggle switch mounted to the lid of the tool box, this is just a contact closure between any of the black wires on the power supply and the green wire.
f2282db6.jpg

Power supply mounted inside the tool box
214f5e3c.jpg

272d9c7f.jpg

Glow plug has to come up thru the bottom of the container, so i used a 3" PVC coupler to space it off
9025175b.jpg

My fittings are all 1/4 MIP, so using some plumbers solder, soldered in some 3/8 to 1/4 adaptors for my compressed air inlet and outlet.also soldered in the glow plug to the bottom
7ffec5ff.jpg

6646387d.jpg

Glow plug wired up, yellow to the plug and the black I used a spade connector soldered onto the side of the container.
bba5174c.jpg

671f3057.jpg

Reg installed,connections made
d08f65f2.jpg

86d2cf92.jpg

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Finished product
3a411333.jpg

61e856ad.jpg

b8df2219.jpg

Click on the videos below

Testing on the car!Capped off my air filter and only found 2 small leaks on the intake side. Smoke went all thru the inter cooler and turbo.

I have been trying to track down a damn exhaust leak forever......ive tried everything....its the main reason i built this damn thing. So tonight was the exhaust test.......found a shit load of leaks on alot of the clamps. took them all apart and cleaned them and got those fixed......ran the test again and all were no good with exception of one....i beleive its the one that has eluded all this time that i could never track down.....and now i got you! bastard!!

its coming form the passenger header right in the center of the collector! so now i gotta pull the damn header and weld it up.....no way I would have found this any other way!

4CDCD9AF-7CB8-4B79-9839-D7B5D32937E2-9567-00000D02F129FD05.jpg

Fuck you Mr Crack!

All welded up and fixed now....best $60-$70 I ever spent!

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Nice little setup..If I get bored might rig one up.

Sucks they are MAC's. I'm not too thrilled with the quality of the mufflers..but they sound good.

OH well. Glad you found your leak :)

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
I think I may be making one of these in the near future.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
People have modified smoke machines to work, you still have to buy a regulator and fittings to drop down the pressure.....plus buy a smoke machine to modify.

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
People have modified smoke machines to work, you still have to buy a regulator and fittings to drop down the pressure.....plus buy a smoke machine to modify.

True. Figured I'd ask lol. Def cool though. Handy tool too! :clap:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back