do you remove your cats ?

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
i still dont know what drone sounds like.
a drone is a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or all of a piece.
In a car it an annoying mono tone from the exhaust thats audible or loud at cruising speed.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Simply put flowmasters drone. When at cruising speeds and all you hear is that humming from your exhaust, that is drone.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Simply put flowmasters drone. When at cruising speeds and all you hear is that humming from your exhaust, that is drone.

Mine don't unless I'm in 6th gear and 45mph trying to speed up. LOL!

Mine are Flowmaster Super 44's, no cats, stock resonators still in place. See the video in my sig where I test it on the road at 60-65mph in 6th.

bob450

Reaction score
mine with out cats the drone at 2000 rpm is amazing with a full heartrob 3 inch h-pipe :crazy:

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
I just put an o/rh on this weekend with my existing Pypes Bomb a/b & suprisingly it really isnt that loud.

I do still have my stock overaxle pipes/resonators though.

Your retarded lol... I just did this same exact thing and my car is ridiculously loud. I drowned out every single car I raced at Fun Fun Weekend at our local dragstrip. It's really that loud and all of my friends hate it. When my prochamber comes in I'm welding some 24 inch bullet mufflers to it and making my own custom 3 inch back to my pypes a/b. I'm keeping the Pypes a/b because I prefer the Satin black 4 inch echo chamber look compared to big silver mufflers hanging. Since my car will have nothing shiny on it, all the badges, wheels, exhaust will be black.

Last edited:

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
Your retarded lol... I just did this same exact thing and my car is ridiculously loud. I drowned out every single car I raced at Fun Fun Weekend at our local dragstrip. It's really that loud and all of my friends hate it. When my prochamber comes in I'm welding some 24 inch bullet mufflers to it and making my own custom 3 inch back to my pypes a/b. I'm keeping the Pypes a/b because I prefer the Satin black 4 inch echo chamber look compared to big silver mufflers hanging. Since my car will have nothing shiny on it, all the badges, wheels, exhaust will be black.

to each his own I guess, but I've had cars that were far, far louder than this set up.

I will agree that its not for the faint of heart but I don't let my friends/etc build my cars for me so I don't care what they think.

I did put a decible meter on it & it's noise ordinance legal here in Pa.

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
So you dont have the popping, trumpeting sound around 2-3k... and again around like 4500? Seriously in the couple videos I had from Fun Ford Weekend you couldn't even hear the cars I was racing. One was even a fox body with open longtubes and was probably the only one that you could hear over mine. My buddies know I'm coming over as soon as I turn into their neighborhoods lol.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
a drone is a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or all of a piece.
In a car it an annoying mono tone from the exhaust thats audible or loud at cruising speed.

I was being sarcastic...lol...I get kinda fussy when people overly complain about drone in exhaust threads. Drone kinda sounds like tampon wrappers being torn open.....to me anyway.

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
So you dont have the popping, trumpeting sound around 2-3k... and again around like 4500? Seriously in the couple videos I had from Fun Ford Weekend you couldn't even hear the cars I was racing. One was even a fox body with open longtubes and was probably the only one that you could hear over mine. My buddies know I'm coming over as soon as I turn into their neighborhoods lol.

Same here. I have a Dynatech longtubes to an O/R X-pipe / Borla S-Type Catback and I'm the loudest car on the track. Now, credit to Borla because the car is nice a quiet at highway speeds, but get it over 2500rpm and it starts to howl.
You can sort of hear hear it on this vid. Notice the dyno tech plugging his ears.

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score

just a little popping/etc at 2k but it's gone by 2500 & clean from there on up.

I did make shure Dan @ Bama knew what I was doing with the off road pipe & mufflers, he adjusted the tune for the rear o2's & shut off the "cat cooling" so mabie that helped.

LindsayEOD

forum member
Reaction score
Same here. I have a Dynatech longtubes to an O/R X-pipe / Borla S-Type Catback and I'm the loudest car on the track. Now, credit to Borla because the car is nice a quiet at highway speeds, but get it over 2500rpm and it starts to howl.
You can sort of hear hear it on this vid. Notice the dyno tech plugging his ears.

Cool video bro. Thats one kick-ass Mustang you have.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Very nicely done, Sir!

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
Very nicely done, Sir!
Thanks. I edited the video for Evolution's display at the Philly Auto Show.

I actually started with a catted X, but the cats started to melt so I drilled the media out.

Sometimes I'll swap the stock axle backs on if I'm going to cruise with the local Mustang club and want to keep the noise down.

KonaBlueKiller

Reaction score
just a little popping/etc at 2k but it's gone by 2500 & clean from there on up.

I did make shure Dan @ Bama knew what I was doing with the off road pipe & mufflers, he adjusted the tune for the rear o2's & shut off the "cat cooling" so mabie that helped.

Yeah im not on my Catless tune yet because my dang SCT tuner messed up. Somehow with it sitting on my dresser for a month the keypad decided it wanted to stop working. Bama said ill be fine on my regular catted 93p tune but I feel that Im running lean from what I saw AFR wise. When the tuner comes back from SCT ill be reflashing the Catless tune to see what it does...

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah im not on my Catless tune yet because my dang SCT tuner messed up. Somehow with it sitting on my dresser for a month the keypad decided it wanted to stop working. Bama said ill be fine on my regular catted 93p tune but I feel that Im running lean from what I saw AFR wise. When the tuner comes back from SCT ill be reflashing the Catless tune to see what it does...

that might help, I'd leave the exhaust alone till you get the new tune in, then if it doesn't clean up it might be time for a change.

faztcobra

Reaction score
The GT500's and o/r H sound nice. I like my set-up a lot.
I can't wait to get this set up installed. I have the lethal o/r H on my car...and GT500s at home. I had planned to do the install this weekend, but my other hobby got in the way of my mustang hobby. I went to pull the stockers off and my hitch (yes, I have a hitch on my stang for cycling/bike rack) got in the way. I couldn't get my old mufflers off because of the hitch I had installed. There wasn't enough clearance to get the muffler hanger down (probably needed at least another inch and a half). I can't undo the hitch because then the hitch hardware will be stuck inside of the car frame. I'm at a loss for the moment as how to proceed. Grrr.

bruthru2003

Reaction score
I had the Borla ATAK axle back to start (came on the car when I purchased it). I added the Lethal Performance O/R H pipe and it was way too loud for me. Sold those and put on some GT500's and I love the sound. It has that great american muscle car sound.

Last edited:

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get this set up installed. I have the lethal o/r H on my car...and GT500s at home. I had planned to do the install this weekend, but my other hobby got in the way of my mustang hobby. I went to pull the stockers off and my hitch (yes, I have a hitch on my stang for cycling/bike rack) got in the way. I couldn't get my old mufflers off because of the hitch I had installed. There wasn't enough clearance to get the muffler hanger down (probably needed at least another inch and a half). I can't undo the hitch because then the hitch hardware will be stuck inside of the car frame. I'm at a loss for the moment as how to proceed. Grrr.

Did you get this done yet? I normally take the bracket off on the drivers side. Don't need to on the passenger side. It's just 3 13mm bolts and make the job much easier. Don't forget the wd40 to help slide things around in the hangers. Anyway I was wondering if you had any drone like others have mentioned?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back