DOB help needed.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased the GT450 Stage 3 kit from Department of Boost about 2 months ago and am just getting around to installing it. I am running into a few problems on the manifold prep. One is the -an fittings provided feel like they are to large when trying to thread them, i.e. the inter cooler fitting on back of the manifold and the heater hose connection at the front of the manifold pictured below. I could not get the copper fitting to seat all the way and to get it that far took more effort than I think it needed. My concern is stripping the threads on the manifold since it is aluminum. Should it be this difficult to thread?

Next question is which side goes into the intercooler ports. The tapered of straight side? The instructions say the tapered side but it will not thread into the manifold and I have seen others that threaded the straight side of the fitting into the intercooler ports. I tried this to but still lots of resistance.

And lastly, some of the mounting hole locations are filled with the gunk used to put the manifold together. How do you get this stuff out? The picture below is the thermostat housing where the M6x30mm bolts goes. I cannot secure the housing because of the this.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
1. That doesnt need to sit flush, its slightly tapered IIRC and that along with the sealant keeps it from leaking.

2. it goes in the way your holding it, and the side with the angle on the end will go into the 90* fitting you have that then in turn connects to the heater hose. It shouldnt be super hard to thread in to begin with and just get tougher as it snugs up
Do I spy some RTV around that hole too? it may need a little cleaning out of rtv that may be making it difficult on the fittings

3. Its RTV, could try using a scalpel to cut it, maybe a pick, or anything sharp enough to jab in there and tear it out

Last edited:

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of RTV in the holes and coming out of the seams on the manifold. Are you still running this kit? I want to make sure I get this part right, I do not want to screw this up and have to pull the manifold due to a coolant leak. Thanks for the quick response, appreciate it.

Last edited:

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I put some white liquid pipe sealer on the heat exchanger water fitting threads.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
Well I managed to get the fittings in but they will not seat all the way and one is in further than the other. I had torque the heck out of them to get them in that far. I hope it does not leak.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I purchased the GT450 Stage 3 kit from Department of Boost about 2 months ago and am just getting around to installing it. I am running into a few problems on the manifold prep. One is the -an fittings provided feel like they are to large when trying to thread them, i.e. the inter cooler fitting on back of the manifold and the heater hose connection at the front of the manifold pictured below. I could not get the copper fitting to seat all the way and to get it that far took more effort than I think it needed. My concern is stripping the threads on the manifold since it is aluminum. Should it be this difficult to thread?

That is NPT thread. They don't "seat". You tighten them till tight and if they have sealant on them they're good for a couple thousand psi.

Next question is which side goes into the intercooler ports. The tapered of straight side? The instructions say the tapered side but it will not thread into the manifold and I have seen others that threaded the straight side of the fitting into the intercooler ports. I tried this to but still lots of resistance.

Same thing here. Tapered end goes in the IC.

And lastly, some of the mounting hole locations are filled with the gunk used to put the manifold together. How do you get this stuff out? The picture below is the thermostat housing where the M6x30mm bolts goes. I cannot secure the housing because of the this.

That's from when the manifold is assembled. It's probably 1/16" thick. You can clean it out with a pic if you want, or simply punch through it with the bolt.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of RTV in the holes and coming out of the seams on the manifold. Are you still running this kit? I want to make sure I get this part right, I do not want to screw this up and have to pull the manifold due to a coolant leak. Thanks for the quick response, appreciate it.

You will be fine. That RTV coming out signifies that the entire sealing surface is sealed. You would worry if you didn't see RTV.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
That's not going to leak.
I could not get the tapered end to thread at all in either port so I put the straight end in the intercooler. I used plenty of pipe dope on them. Still think it will be ok? Also, I have access to the DOB forum but cannot post anything so I am posting here for now. I have been through the DOB forums several times now in prep for this and still have lots of questions. Thanks.

Last edited:

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I could not get the tapered end to thread at all in either port so I put the straight end in the intercooler. I used plenty of pipe dope on them. Still think it will be ok? Also, I have access to the DOB forum but cannot post anything so I am posting here for now. I have been through the DOB forums several times now in prep for this and still have lots of questions. Thanks.

The black fitting is half pipe thread and half AN fitting ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIC_fitting ). The AN fitting end has the chamfer and is meant to mate up with a female AN fitting. The pipe thread end has to go into the heat exchanger.

i think you may be in over head on this job. Its going to get more complicated than just fittings.

Last edited:

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
The black fitting is half pipe thread and have AN fitting ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIC_fitting ). The AN fitting end has the chamfer and is meant to mate up with a female AN fitting. The pipe thread end has to go into the heat exchanger.

i think you may be in over head on this job. Its going to get more complicated than just fittings.

Nah, I will get it done. This is just a minor hiccup. Beside I have the vast knowledge of you guys to tap in to. I took the advice and put the tapered end of the fitting into the intercooler ports on the manifold and this is the result. Now I need a new fitting. I am thinking the threads on the manifold were f'ed to begin with. It should not be this difficult thread either end. This is the only thing keeping me from putting the manifold on ATM.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like you're on the right track now. This hobby is about learning and sharing so don't be shy to keep asking questions. Once you're sorted out on the DOB forum, there is plenty of help there too.

You can always email DOB directly. Answers are quick and always correct.

On the rear intercooler elbow fittings, make sure you clock them per the instructions before you tighten or installing the hoses later will be a pain.

That fitting might still be ok. See if the elbow will thread on.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Nah, I will get it done. This is just a minor hiccup. Beside I have the vast knowledge of you guys to tap in to. I took the advice a put the tapered end of the fitting into the intercooler ports on the manifold and this is the result. Now I need a new fitting. I am thinking the threads on the manifold were f'ed to begin with. It should not be this difficult. This is the only thing keeping me from putting the manifold on ATM.

The end you are referring to as 'tapered' is actually an AN fitting. Three different times above you were told the OTHER end goes into the intercooler and you still put the wrong end in there, messing up the threads. If you're going to ask for advice, and you get a consensus of three different people telling you how to do it, please stop doing it the other way.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like you're on the right track now. This hobby is about learning and sharing so don't be shy to keep asking questions. Once you're sorted out on the DOB forum, there is plenty of help there too.

You can always email DOB directly. Answers are quick and always correct.

On the rear intercooler elbow fittings, make sure you clock them per the instructions before you tighten or installing the hoses later will be a pain.

That fitting might still be ok. See if the elbow will thread on.

Thank you, the threads are done and won't thread onto the elbow. I was watching your YouTube videos last night and left a comment about the intercooler hoses, was wondering if you have any pictures on how you routed them to the heat exchanger.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
The end you are referring to as 'tapered' is actually an AN fitting. Three different times above you were told the OTHER end goes into the intercooler and you still put the wrong end in there, messing up the threads. If you're going to ask for advice, and you get a consensus of three different people telling you how to do it, please stop doing it the other way.

I was getting different answers, even DOB said above the tapered end goes into the intercooler ports. The instructions say that as well. You said the straight end and that is the way I originally had it. I do not take the advice for granted and appreciate the help man. Just keep getting different answers is all.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
That is the AN end. NOT the tapered end. If you threaded that into the IC you just wrecked the fittings and most likely the IC too.

You're going to need to get new fittings and at a minimum chase the threads in the IC with a tap.

Last edited:

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
That is the AN end. NOT the tapered end. If you threaded that into the IC you just wrecked the fittings and most likely the IC too.

You're going to need to get new fittings and at a minimum chase the threads in the IC with a tap.
Ok got it. I am a noob at this but determined to get it done. Thank you.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back