Does anyone know how to get the headlight knob off?

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Without breaking it?? lol

I'm taking apart one for a GT...can't figure out how to get the damn knob off!!

I took apart one for a V6 (non-fog) switch...broke it in the process.

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Fixed..lol.

I believe you have to pull it all the way out and look for a small mark where you can push a button that locks it onto the switch shaft. Use a tiny flat screwdriver to push on that button, then I believe you have to turn it alittle bit to unlock it. I remember someone talking about it, but I haven't done it personally.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken these knobs are glued on. Probably why all the aftermarket knobs are covers and are pushed on top of the existing knob. Why are you taking it apart?

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh...it comes off...no glue. I broke the tab on the shaft getting one out. My $25 lesson there...lol. I'm changing the color of the switch.

Thanks Kimmer...where do I find this "mark"...any idea?

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Should be a triangular mark I believe on the shaft of the knob. If I could find a dang flashlight, i'd go look quick..haha

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Ronnie, Kimmer has it hit on the head......

Kimmer, by the way, how ya been man?....

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I must be blind. I have a knob (broken) in my hand...I dont 'see anything. I see how it clips into the switch...but I dont' see how to access it...hhmm.

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I just tried to find it too and couldn't. BUT, if you pry the whole damn plate out, the back of mine had a removable light in it....lol

Been good Chris, how have you been?

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
To be clear, I pulled the whole plate that holds the switch and dimmer switch. Once out, the back of my headlight switch had a removable light bulb and it looks like you could disassemble the whole switch from the back side.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's right...but the problem is that the removable light is white. The color change is made by completely taking it apart and sanding the green film off the backside of the plate. To do that... have to get the knob out.

On the foglight equipped cars...there's a green led off to one side that's easy to change...

Dangit...gotta figure this POS out.

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I'm almost wondering, if you have to pull the knob to the most extended position, then pop the switch loose from that main plate on the back, then you might have enough room to get to that release button from between the loose switch and the large black plate it mounts too. Just a thought without me tearing into mine.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been piddling with this thing for over an hour...lol.

I can go ahead and "break" it like I did the other..then just cememt it back on.

May have to do that if I can't figure it out...lol.

Always the answer...bigger hammer!

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Can you see the button that needs to be pushed on the broken one, or isn't there one?

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shaft has a hole in it. It looks like the switch from teh backside had a tab that slides down into it. Problem is...can't get to it from the backside either.

RH

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I did see where someone said to bend the tip of a tiny nail in a 90, and push it into the hole, then pull the knob toward you. I'll try to look at it tomorrow when I get home from work.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ronnie is that mine you're working on? Mine is a fog light equipped car but it's an 06 so maybe they are different.

Earl

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup...I'm working on yours. I figured out how to get the blue color on the one I snapped. It goes back together just fine...but will need some glue or cement to keep the knob from coming out.

I'm trying to avoid this problem on yours.

Ambien is kickin' in. I'll have to work on it some more tomorrow.

RH

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back