Does anyone know this car? 2013 GT500 Auto Swapped

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Does the stock 6R80 bolt right up with a different bell housing? Are the internals beefy enough for the 5.4/5.8, or do you have to do some other work to it?

Yes it bolts right up, you'll need all the other small parts and wiring harness for it to work, plus tuning for it. Seems like they're holding up fine from what I've read. Hoping its a 6r80, not something halfway done.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
This would be a perfect car to make me get rid of mine... I just wish i could do it...

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Well, the car is here. Unfortunately it is NOT a 6r80. Looks like a 4r70W to me. Shifter cable is gone missing. Otherwise a very nice and nicely set up car for drag racing. Full rear suspension, BMR everything, adjustable shocks/struts, aerospace front brakes, etc. Working on getting the shifter hooked up and I'll report back.
Any idea what shifter cable works for a 4R70w to a stock 2013/2014 GT shifter?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well, the car is here. Unfortunately it is NOT a 6r80. Looks like a 4r70W to me. Shifter cable is gone missing. Otherwise a very nice and nicely set up car for drag racing. Full rear suspension, BMR everything, adjustable shocks/struts, aerospace front brakes, etc. Working on getting the shifter hooked up and I'll report back.
Any idea what shifter cable works for a 4R70w to a stock 2013/2014 GT shifter?
It wont work, the distance between the gears is different. I couldn't get my 4r shifter to work with the 6r anyhow. I would say someone was in the middle of a swap and sold it or lost it. Is there a control unit for the trans in the car? The pcm in that car wont run a 4R70w.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
It wont work, the distance between the gears is different. I couldn't get my 4r shifter to work with the 6r anyhow. I would say someone was in the middle of a swap and sold it or lost it. Is there a control unit for the trans in the car? The pcm in that car wont run a 4R70w.

I don't think that's the case, as everything is done. Not sure why they would put a 13/14 auto shifter if it wouldn't work in this car. I'm confused at this point. I'm going to assume there is a controller, I'll check for one now. It runs and drives, no lights on that I can see, I didn't get to move it enough to see if it shifts on it's own; however.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case, as everything is done. Not sure why they would put a 13/14 auto shifter if it wouldn't work in this car. I'm confused at this point. I'm going to assume there is a controller, I'll check for one now. It runs and drives, no lights on that I can see, I didn't get to move it enough to see if it shifts on it's own; however.

Intetesting, my Outlaw shifter wouldn't lock in were it needed to for the 4r. Good to hear you hot it moving. What cable did you use?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Intetesting, my Outlaw shifter wouldn't lock in were it needed to for the 4r. Good to hear you hot it moving. What cable did you use?

I guess I wasn't very clear, I did not get a cable hooked up to it, just moved it manually into gear from the bottom. Putting it in Drive, with it on the lift I could not get it to shift. I traced the wires going to the plug on the rear of the trans, they are going to two switches that are wired up next to the console. At this point, I have no clue what they are for. I couldn't find any type of controller either.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't very clear, I did not get a cable hooked up to it, just moved it manually into gear from the bottom. Putting it in Drive, with it on the lift I could not get it to shift. I traced the wires going to the plug on the rear of the trans, they are going to two switches that are wired up next to the console. At this point, I have no clue what they are for. I couldn't find any type of controller either.

Maybe its a manual valve body trans then.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Must be, and I guess one of the switches is for O/D? Or would that not be correct? Or what exactly are the functions on the plug on the rear of the trans? The one on the top right back.

Not sure, maybe O/D and Trans brake.

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting.

A couple of years ago, when I was shopping for a Stang, I looked at a couple of GT500's, but years ago, my Wife learned to brake with her left foot at Drivers Ed.

(1970's)

Anyway, to this day - and after trying on many occasions, - she can't drive a stick - hitting the clutch instead of the brake is hardly interchangeable ...

So .... I didn't buy the car.

Still very happy with my GT though.

Will follow your progress on this car

GLOYP

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Left foot braking. Eww
That's one thing my mom made sure to ingrained in my head when driving.
Her brothers and dad are mechanics, causes so much extra wear on them when you wind up leaving your foot on the pedal lightly braking all the time

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
On some "auto swapped" 03/04 Cobras with 4R70 transmissions, one switch will be used to activate OD or 4th gear, and another switch will activate Lock up. The 4r70's actually have no physical position for OD so it has to be an electrical signal from a switch or tune, only three forward gear shifter positions for 4 different forward ratios.

strangebhavior

forum member
Reaction score
Since car came out of Mississippi, you can try calling JMS in Lucedale. Pretty much the go to around here as far as dyno tuning. Also do a lot of work there also. Monty Johnson does the tuning and always has a 2 or 3 month wait to get on dyno. Does awesome job too!!!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
On some "auto swapped" 03/04 Cobras with 4R70 transmissions, one switch will be used to activate OD or 4th gear, and another switch will activate Lock up. The 4r70's actually have no physical position for OD so it has to be an electrical signal from a switch or tune, only three forward gear shifter positions for 4 different forward ratios.

This looks like the case!

Since car came out of Mississippi, you can try calling JMS in Lucedale. Pretty much the go to around here as far as dyno tuning. Also do a lot of work there also. Monty Johnson does the tuning and always has a 2 or 3 month wait to get on dyno. Does awesome job too!!!

I'll have to call them.

Got the car moving on it's own power, it is an absolute beast and runs fantastic. Just need to come up with a shifter that fits properly. The spacing between gears on the transmission is different than those on the shifter it seems, so I can't get it to line up with 2nd gear. 1st and 3rd are fine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back