Does touch up paint need clear?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
basically I have some pretty bad scratched, scuffed, and chipped black paint.

right now my order of battle on this is going to be hit all I can with polish. then what is left hit with chipdoctor, then what is left bust out some touchup paint and wet sand, polish, ect.

so my question is if I use a touch up paint do I need to put clearcoat on top of it?

Thanks a lot, the stickies in here is what has inspired me to start really making my car nice :beerdrink:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Any paint needs clearcoat if you want to protect it. I don't know of any paint that has clearcoat in it.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
If its touch up paint its usually lacquer or acrylic enamel that doesn't need clear coat. If its a basecoat then it wont last long without clear.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the pointers.

I also just read somewhere that after I do touch up I should not wax the area for a month. kind of like when you get a car back from the body shop. but I have only read that one place so far.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I have "Touch up Paint" from Dupli-Color thats in the little bottle you get at autozone and I have to re use it every 2-3 months because it washes away etc. Some areas stay on really well while others tend to need a touch up more often

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-NGSF100-Black-Exact-Match-Touch-up/dp/B000ALBZEE

basically I have some pretty bad scratched, scuffed, and chipped black paint.

right now my order of battle on this is going to be hit all I can with polish. then what is left hit with chipdoctor, then what is left bust out some touchup paint and wet sand, polish, ect.

so my question is if I use a touch up paint do I need to put clearcoat on top of it?

Thanks a lot, the stickies in here is what has inspired me to start really making my car nice :beerdrink:

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The Dr. Chip guy or whatever is supposed to be pretty good though.
Not a bad option for little chips here and there

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I think duplicolor is lacquer. If you want it to stay you need to sand the area so it has something to grip to.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
You can get the touch up with clear added at Oriely,s

I have it match my Grabber Orange on some spots under the hood, It Spot on

Plus the clear mix is more durable

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back