Drag Strip Launch RPM

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What gear and MPH are you doing the burnout?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1st gear. I have never really paid any attention to MPH during burnout. Ill pay pay attention Friday.

I bet if you do a 2nd gear burnout, see 55-60 MPH, for 3-4 seconds, it will help.

Wheel speed = heat, you want heat in the tire. Then drop the clutch at 5500-6000

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Also, it looks like you're just holding rpm's and dumping the clutch. What I found helped me with the old mach1 was basically holding RPMs to 2-3k, on 2nd amber mash the gas, on 3rd amber dump the clutch. When you're holding rpms you're only giving the engine enough fuel for that load - to spin the flywheel, and nothing more. You attach the rest of the car to it, and well, it's gonna bog. If you're mashing the gas, as the engine goes WOT at full load to achieve high rpm, it's opening the taps and giving it all of the fuel it needs... once the clutch engages, it does so with the engine at full power. Usually between my reaction to the ambers and the car reacting off the line it was under a 0.050 R/T this way as well, you may have to play with the timing of the lights a bit to get it down, but it's a good way to cut consistent reaction times too in my experience.

Give that a shot, see how it works out for ya.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Making a little progress! Got out to the track Friday Night. First pass was a disaster. Discovered that I canted keep enough wheel speed in 2nd to get enough wheel heat to go anywhere.

So, first gear, 45mph for 6-8sec burnout. Puckered up at 5500 and dumped it and the pig hooked up but still bogged a bit. Much better though. Im losing MPH at the big end. Im going to try to get some 4.10s on order and get them installed in the next week or so. Also will go up some more in launch RPM. (Trying to make small changes once at a time)

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I had the sheer nut size to go to 4.56. I have to drive the car to work every day though. So 4.10s will have to do. They will hopefully bring up that trap speed!

I've had 2 cars with 4.56s, they're not as bad as they sound.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back